Search results

1. shawn

Tall built in cabinet doors

Plywood will likely be warped/twisted from the start. Frame and panel is the best way of you have the means to flatten your stock and your saws are set accurately. If your joints are even slightly out of square, it will introduce twist. The nice thing about euro hinges is you can adjust for some...
  2. shawn

Sharpening Drill Bits

I use a belt sander
  3. shawn

Schaff chisels reviews here please

Where are they made?
  4. shawn

Ebonizing

Before and after pics of ebonizing dye on eucalyptus. I just use old nails. I don't like eating wasting a good piece of steel wool. Iron is iron. I don't use anything else. In George Frank's book "Adventures In Wood Finishing" he says pigmented ebonizing stains"castrate" the wood. The iron...
  5. shawn

Anyone want to buy some cherry for $50 per bf?

It's hard to find quality lumber in large pieces. I remember working on a shop in VA, we had some cherry come in that was 22" wide 16' long all heart wood. Don't know what it was priced at, but I'm sure the owner knew what he had. I have some eucalyptus slabs l won't let go of unless I get some $$$.
  6. shawn

Woodmaster 725 drumsander

Thanks for the replies. I've used stuff from some online suppliers on my 712. I've even used paper from HF. I was really impressed with the mirka. I'll give the klingspor a try. Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
  7. shawn

Woodmaster 725 drumsander

I recently purchased the drum sander attachment for my woodmaster planer. It came with a roll of mirka 80 and 120 grit paper. I was impressed with the performance of the paper. What do you use and where do you buy it? I want to buy bulk rolls online. Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
  8. shawn

Suitability of Oak & poplar for end grain cutting boards?

I've use red oak cutting boards for decades. If youre worried about bacteria, the CDC recommends 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 quart of water for dis-infecting. I wash mine with warm soapy water and wipe excess water and let dry.
  9. shawn

Popular Woodworking - Greene and Greene

Big fan of Greene and Greene. There was a shop in Tucson that did G@G replicas out of mesquite with desert ironwood pegs. Beautiful work and the most comfortable chairs I’ve ever sat in!
  10. shawn

New Bern Mid-Summer Lunch Bunch

I’ll try to be there.
  11. Eucalyptus block end table

Eucalyptus block end table

Ebonising dye and verdigris copper accents
  12. Writing Desk

Writing Desk

Live edge Eucalyptus slab desk with wedge base
  13. shawn

Need to have a couple of slabs surfaced

there is a shop in New Bern that has a 36" Porter with 2 Shelix heads. 1 for flattening, 1 for thickness. It's an impressive machine. I think they are pretty reasonable as well. Precision Molding.
  14. shawn

Cabinet pulls drilling guide

Fastcap made a pretty good jig. I used it when I was an independent millwork installer. I found that jigs are at there best when you have a pile of drawer heads that are the same size. Even if you have 3 different drawer sizes, there must be enough to make it worth changing the jig. Otherwise...
  15. shawn

Drilling holes into tile?

You can buy carbide bits designed for tile at lowes or ace. They typically come in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. They don't require a hammer drill but use a low rpm sow you don't burn the bit.
  16. shawn

Can plywood be successfully butt glued?

Try edge gluing a sample piece. I think you will be quite satisfied with the result.
  17. shawn

Can plywood be successfully butt glued?

I,ve edge glued fairly large pieces of ply without issue except getting a consistently flush surface. The thickness of ply can vary a little so you wind up burning through the veneer when sanding.
  18. shawn

Japanese woodworking

I love this! I have a copy of Japanese Woodworking and have attempted at least one of the joints. Definitely something to aspire to. I've been wanting to do a blind mitered dovetail for a buffet I have in mind. This video was very enlightening.
  19. shawn

Recovery from mistakes

True. Many design innovations come from mistakes. Also, they are only mistakes if you don't learn from them.
  20. shawn

Oak trunks for sale

16' length. Woodweb log volume and weight calculators

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS