Search results

1. T

White Oak boards for Sale above Wilkesboro

I have about 2 dozen kiln dried mostly white oak boards of varying width, thickness and depth for sale. They have been in a dehumidified basement for about 2 years. I’ve sold the house, which is on Highway 16 N. between Millers Creek and Glendale Springs, so I need to dispose of them. Asking...
  2. T

Old tools info

I’m going through some of my father-in-law’s old tools. I don’t know anything about them, but do oknow some of you will be able to tell me if anything here is of value. We have no use for them. There are two Stanley tools and the work light seems to be a Moffat. Can’t tell you much more than...
  3. T

Better late than never

​I’m pleased to begin this profile by saying my wife, Anita, and I, are retired from running our own successful film and video production company for over 20 years. When we closed out that work/professional chapter in our lives, we targeted traveling, catching up on much needed maintenance...
  4. T

Old tool advice

My father-in-law’s shed is being cleaned out and we came across these old tools. Don’t know what all of them are for or if any of these have monetary value. Thought I’d go to the best reference I know of and ask for comments. Thanks.
  5. T

Preferred finishes on Cedar

I recently cut a bunch of small blanks out of Aromatic Cedar to make some platters, saucers and bowls. For the finish, I've experimented with Cedar oil, tung oil and Mylan's friction polish. Frankly, I'm not happy with any of those and am wondering what other folks are using? Thanks much.
  6. T

Completed Project: Sliding Walnut Door

About a year ago, I got the brilliant idea to build a sliding barn door. Although my wife and I are both wood turners, we decided we might be able to tackle a project like this. In looking for designs and wood, I came across a sawyer in Galax, VA, with some very nice black walnut book matched...
  7. T

How do you sign your bowls?

Up until recently, I haven't felt the bowls I turned were worthy of a signature. Now that we have our own home shop and are spending several days a week working in them, our work is getting to the point where we think it is finally time to claim them. What do you use to sign? Sharpie...
  8. T

Ever turned Ipe or hickory?

I have recently acquired some 4/4 to 6/4 pieces of lumber to use to turn platters. Included is some Ipe and some hickory. Have any of you ever turned this type of wood? I believe both are very hard and I'm wondering how difficult they may be to turn. Thanks.
  9. T

Project update

Progress on my black walnut slab sliding door project is indeed moving forward. Scott Smith put my slabs in his kiln for a while and brought the moisture content down to about 6%. Not having the space, equipment or expertise to do much from there, I took my wood to a commercial company in...
  10. T

Newbies!

Hello Everybody: My wife and I are retired and live in Raleigh. Looking for a hobby in our later years, we discovered wood turning. After a very painful home renovation project, we built a tiny workshop onto our house with two lathes, a drill press, a couple of bandsaws, chop saw, dust collector...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors