Search results

1. Jim Murphy

Free stuff

I have a 1970s era Craftsman table saw, cast iron, no wings with a sanding "blade". I also have a roller base for a 13" planer that deposits the planed board at same height of standard outfeed table. Free, located in Wilton NC. Please text 919.302.4171 if you're interested instead of replying...
  2. Jim Murphy

How to move a PJ882

Sold my PJ882 (and yes, it hurts) and this is how we got it on the trailer. David showed up with his A-frame in pieces, we bolted it together, chain hoist to raise, lift jack to move and winched onto trailer. This is how you do it.
  3. Jim Murphy

Starrett 24" straight edge

Like brand new. $75 located in Wilton NC
  4. Jim Murphy

HF biscuit joiner $25

And I'll give you half a container of biscuits. Yeah, it's Chinese but worked flawlessly for me. Located in Wilton NC 919.302.4171
  5. Jim Murphy

Porter-Cable 7529 Router $200

Located in Wilton NC 919.302.4171
  6. Jim Murphy

PM66 $1800 SOLD

2006 3HP 240V 1PH Located in Wilton NC Text 919 302.4171 if interested. Includes rip blade and adjustable dado, Forrest woodworker II and Freud crosscut as well as what you see in the picture.
  7. Jim Murphy

Kreg walnut plugs?

I need to put in 8 Kreg pocket screws in a walnut kiddie thing I'm building, and I am so cheap I don't want to drive to WoodCraft to buy a box of 50. Does anybody have ten spare walnut Kreg plugs they will mail me for a couple of $$$? Yeah, 10, because I'll find a way to screw two of them up.
  8. Jim Murphy

Kitchen table top help

Well, the sharp, crisp corners on my walnut table top are impressive to me, but I wonder about the impact on grandkids as they impact the table. So... Radius the corners? What dimension? Really rounded, like using a spray can as a gauge? Or just slightly rounded so it's barely noticed...
  9. Jim Murphy

Tips on securing tabletop breadboard

Darn... it turned out much better than expected. SO.... I know I need to glue and pin the center board, but any tips or tricks on pinning the outer edges? REMEMBER, we're dealing with discount walnut here. (Wow...I had a B eye Tee Sea Haitch of a time getting enough of Charlie's walnut to...
  10. Jim Murphy

One man's trash...

One man's trash is generally another man's trash, contrary to what you thought. However, I have a rather large assortment of walnut off-cuts and shorts and walnut firewood. I also have a friend who heats with a wood stove. If you're close by Wilton (halfway between Creedmoor and...
  11. Jim Murphy

Walnut....$1 per plank

Well hello again. Charlie Wilson the Walnut man is getting desperate, he's gotta move the remaining lumber and is down to $1 per plank. Not per board foot, but per plank. The stuff is being loaded and moved tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 2nd, and after it finds a new home, will keep it covered...
  12. Jim Murphy

Air dried Walnut - 200bf for $100

Hi kids, I've been away a while, but an opportunity to pick up some walnut has come up. You old timers on here will remember a year or so ago we tried to help Charlie Wilson get rid of his stash of walnut. Well, Charlie just called me. He's willing to make a deal. You get 200bf of old old...
  13. Jim Murphy

Whut have I done?

After spending the greater part of this nice mild winter working on my chairs and tables, and moving them as well as the ugly (in my mind) tables for my kids out of the shop, I was possessed with the urge to clean up a bit. It's what, three weeks to spring (vernal equinox)? The days are...
  14. Jim Murphy

Tuesday Update Walnut Thread

I just got off the phone with Mr. Walnut. I don't think he realized how a NCWW wood sale works, with all the folks involved in small transactions. He was hoping that I could find him a single buyer, but I'm not a broker. We discussed the logistics of trying to part out this wood hoard, and...
  15. Jim Murphy

UPDATED 10,000-15,000 BF walnut

I just got a call from a friend of mine who is an attorney (okay, no jokes, he's a real estate guy) who put me in touch with someone who needs to move 10-15 THOUSAND board feet of walnut rather quickly. I have not seen it, it's air dried, he's been collecting it over the past 30 years. It's...
  16. Jim Murphy

Splayed leg table

After spending a couple of fun-filled months in the shop making these I needed something to fill my time and mollify the need to actually build something. So, after a lot of deliberation, and making a prototype from old pine studs, I created this: There will be ample room on the table...
  17. Jim Murphy

Plug cutter update

While browsing through the new McFeelys catalog looking at plug cutters, I happened to read through a description of the cutter that suggested "For best results, drill to full depth of cutter." I chucked up my Snappy, grabbed a piece of scrap and cut deeply. Popped it out with a...
  18. Jim Murphy

Plugging countersinks

Here are four things that everybody (except for me and three other members) knew. This is for you three guys. Background: For the last two months, I have been making adirondacks from some cherry Ivey cypress. Cherry, in this context, refers to a primo slab of wood, not that reddish...
  19. Jim Murphy

RADII: Hoarding, jigs and math

Well, this is not a very detailed HOW TO, but it does instruct, so maybe it fits here. First, let's talk about hoarding. I'm not sure if hoarding is a recognized mental defect, but I tend to think it is. If not, it should be. I obviously suffer from the disease. Since I got my big Rikon, I...
  20. Jim Murphy

Plug cutters, cypress, smoke and shards

I'm needing to cut plugs for the Adirondacks, and currently have two plug cutters. One is from a BORG, maker long forgotten, and it doesn't cut, it chews the cypress. I purchased this BORG cutter to plug screwholes in the oak flooring, and after cutting about four, decided that for a workshop...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors