Search results

1. Jim Murphy

Free stuff

I have a 1970s era Craftsman table saw, cast iron, no wings with a sanding "blade". I also have a roller base for a 13" planer that deposits the planed board at same height of standard outfeed table. Free, located in Wilton NC. Please text 919.302.4171 if you're interested instead of replying...
  2. Jim Murphy

How to move a PJ882

Sold my PJ882 (and yes, it hurts) and this is how we got it on the trailer. David showed up with his A-frame in pieces, we bolted it together, chain hoist to raise, lift jack to move and winched onto trailer. This is how you do it.
  3. Jim Murphy

Starrett 24" straight edge

Like brand new. $75 located in Wilton NC
  4. Jim Murphy

HF biscuit joiner $25

And I'll give you half a container of biscuits. Yeah, it's Chinese but worked flawlessly for me. Located in Wilton NC 919.302.4171
  5. Jim Murphy

Porter-Cable 7529 Router $200

Located in Wilton NC 919.302.4171
  6. Jim Murphy

PM66 $1800 SOLD

2006 3HP 240V 1PH Located in Wilton NC Text 919 302.4171 if interested. Includes rip blade and adjustable dado, Forrest woodworker II and Freud crosscut as well as what you see in the picture.
  7. Jim Murphy

Recommendations?

Make sure you have a good supply of 400 grit sandpaper and take your time.
  8. Jim Murphy

Kreg walnut plugs?

I tell you, that Fred is almost a wizard. If he had said 3/8" instead of 1/2' he would have earned a gold star. For those of you making your own, in order to match the severe angle on the factory plugs, I used the Kreg jig and a standard 3/8' drill to make a deep pocket hole in a blank...
  9. Jim Murphy

Kreg walnut plugs?

I need to put in 8 Kreg pocket screws in a walnut kiddie thing I'm building, and I am so cheap I don't want to drive to WoodCraft to buy a box of 50. Does anybody have ten spare walnut Kreg plugs they will mail me for a couple of $$$? Yeah, 10, because I'll find a way to screw two of them up.
  10. Jim Murphy

Kitchen table top help

Well, the sharp, crisp corners on my walnut table top are impressive to me, but I wonder about the impact on grandkids as they impact the table. So... Radius the corners? What dimension? Really rounded, like using a spray can as a gauge? Or just slightly rounded so it's barely noticed...
  11. Jim Murphy

Tips on securing tabletop breadboard

Okay, guys, great advice, but I have several "how to" and "why" questions. First, what is the purpose of cutting out parts of the tenon? Can't I just leave the tenon full length? Is there a movement issue here? Second, I'm thinking of using a plunge router with 3/8" spiral upcut. Is...
  12. Jim Murphy

Tips on securing tabletop breadboard

Darn... it turned out much better than expected. SO.... I know I need to glue and pin the center board, but any tips or tricks on pinning the outer edges? REMEMBER, we're dealing with discount walnut here. (Wow...I had a B eye Tee Sea Haitch of a time getting enough of Charlie's walnut to...
  13. Jim Murphy

One man's trash...

One man's trash is generally another man's trash, contrary to what you thought. However, I have a rather large assortment of walnut off-cuts and shorts and walnut firewood. I also have a friend who heats with a wood stove. If you're close by Wilton (halfway between Creedmoor and...
  14. Jim Murphy

Walnut....$1 per plank

Well, just got back from Charlie. For $15, I really believe I can build two dining tables. When you can buy 4x4x14' walnut for a buck a board, that's hard to turn down. About 1/3 of what I got will wind up in the wood stove, but the other 2/3 should turn out nicely If I don't get two tables...
  15. Jim Murphy

Walnut....$1 per plank

Well hello again. Charlie Wilson the Walnut man is getting desperate, he's gotta move the remaining lumber and is down to $1 per plank. Not per board foot, but per plank. The stuff is being loaded and moved tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 2nd, and after it finds a new home, will keep it covered...
  16. Jim Murphy

Air dried Walnut - 200bf for $100

Hi kids, I've been away a while, but an opportunity to pick up some walnut has come up. You old timers on here will remember a year or so ago we tried to help Charlie Wilson get rid of his stash of walnut. Well, Charlie just called me. He's willing to make a deal. You get 200bf of old old...
  17. Jim Murphy

Never ran a floor sander before

I wimped out and rented an oscillating sander for my shop floor. That's a waste of time. It will work, and won't burn, but plan on two hours per hundred square feet PER grit. I went 40 then 60 then 100 and was completely whupped. If ever again I do this, I'll be brave enough to use a real...
  18. Jim Murphy

Osc Spindle Sander Opinions

I have the HF model. After about three sandings, an electric fragrance wafted through the air, followed shortly by an acrid cloud of smoke. I removed, cleaned and re-inserted the brushes, and it has behaved since (about a year). Other than that early foul-up, it seems to work well. I can't...
  19. Jim Murphy

Look what was hiding in that wood

Since it's a dogwood tree and not a hen dispensing eggs, it is NOT laying, it is (was?) lying on the ground. Suggestion? Goblet. Great looking mallets, BTW.
  20. Jim Murphy

New shop under construction

Pout house. I love it. No more heading out to my "rat hole", I'll be safely tucked away in the pout house.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors