Search results

1. Rushton

New table saw sled adapting King's Fine Woodworking's design

It was time to build a new, more capable table saw sled when I saw the new design posted on YouTube by James King, King's Fine Woodworking. I liked that it was lighter and made from 3/8" birch ply in sections. I particularly liked that he'd designed it for adjustable and replacement zero...
  2. Rushton

Laminating Hardboard - Can I get a very flat uniform thickness result?

Has anyone glued (laminated) 1/4" or 3/16" hardboard? I want to make some dovetailed replaceable inserts for the fence of my cross-cut sled and I'm thinking of laminating two 3/16" thick strips of hardboard, putting their waffle non-tempered sides together, to end up with a 3/8" thick part that...
  3. Rushton

Long Sweep 90 Elbows for 2729 Pipe Dust Collection

I've long thought I could not find long sweep 90-degree elbows in SRD-35 fittings to use with 6" thin wall D2729 pipe. Well, now I've figured out a solution. Long sweep 90-degree elbows are available in Schedule 40, but the diameter of the hubs is larger than SRD35/D2729 dimensions. However...
  4. Rushton

Dust Build-up in CV1800 - Suggestions?

A member of the Clear Vue Forum has posted a question about dust build up on the ramps to his CV1800 cyclone. McRabbet has commented but perhaps some other CV owners can take a look at this owner's problem and see if there are additional suggestions. This link it to post #8 where he shows some...
  5. Rushton

Minimum Run Time Switch for 5HP Cyclone Motor

The community wood workshop we're upgrading will have a Clear Vue CVMAX 5HP cyclone dust collector installed. As I recall, the recommendation is not more on/off cycles than about 5 per hour, so 12 minutes minimum run time. Because this is a shared use shop, I'm concerned we won't be able to...
  6. Rushton

Dust Collection Duct Layout Advice Needed

New shop, new dust collection installation... I need your input on the proposed layout for the shop, with emphasis on the dust collection ductwork layout. This past year I moved to a retirement community in Huntsville, AL. We're now making serious upgrades to the community wood workshop. My...
  7. Rushton

Clear Vue 5 HP cyclone dust collector, Richmond VA - SOLD

We're moving and this Clear Vue cyclone dust collector system can't come with us. It's a Model CV1800 5HP Clear Vue Cyclone Dust Collector, with upgraded 16" impeller, electrical panel, automatic shutoff, filters and full run of 6" PVC ducting, Wyes, blast gates and flex hose. (See the link for...
  8. Rushton

Suggestions to improve my ductwork layout?

I've posted this on the Clear Vue Cyclone Forum and know we have some members who visit there, but I thought I'd post here because of all the good discussions from members here. I've received my CV1800 (with 16 inch impeller) and am now designing the ductwork layout. I'd appreciate any...
  9. Rushton

Clear Vue Cyclone Black Friday Bundle is Back

For those with an interest, the Clear Vue Cyclone Black Friday Bundle Special is available once again. This Bundle includes the upgraded 16" impeller and impeller housing, Wynn Environmental filters, electrical switch, bin full sensor and free shipping. Cathy was superb in helping me get my...
  10. Rushton

What glue to use to repair this finger joint? - Follow-up Report

In July I asked about what glue to use in repairing a separated finger joint in the pedestal base of an Ekornes chair. Phil S and Bill Simmons recommended using System Three T-88 Structural Epoxy. I followed their advice and thought I'd report back having now just finished the re-glue which is...
  11. Rushton

Alternatives to Trichloroethylene for final cleaning prep of metal surfaces

I've been reading Bob Smalser's articles about preparing chisels, planes and other metal tools to better resist rusting. He's an advocate of using phosphoric acid to convert any remaining rust or rust pits, cleaning metal surfaces thoroughly using trichloroethylene and then cold bluing using...
  12. Rushton

Advice needed on restoring a #3 sweep gouge

I recently picked up a nice vintage #3 sweep 5/8" gouge but then realized someone has sharpened the end of this gouge completely flat across the top side as if it were a chisel and they were flattening the back. I'd like to gradually recover this lovely old tool, but would appreciate some advice...
  13. Rushton

What glue to use to repair this finger joint?

I am restoring an old Ekornes Stressless recliner and need to repair the finger joints used to build the pedestal base where the glue failed. See photo below. The joint separation was clean, but I'm not sure what original glue residue may remain on the wood surfaces that might interfere with...
  14. Rushton

Another workbench from construction 2x lumber - your advice requested

As a new woodworker who plans to work primarily with hand tools, I'm starting my learning process by building a workbench. I'm posting because I'd appreciate some comments on what I'm forgetting or should do differently to prepare/season/acclimatize the lumber from which I plan to build the...
  15. Rushton

New Member and New Woodworker

Hello all, I'm a new member and looking forward to learning from the group. I hope I'll also be able to contribute over time, but I'll most likely show up as seeking advice at this stage. With my coming retirement, I'm finally setting up a small basement workshop and looking forward to building...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors