Search results

1. Rushton

Tenoning fixture query

I'm currently in the process of making this tenoning jig that rides over the fence, as demonstrated in a YouTube build video by Tom McLaughlin (link below). I like the simplicity of the over the fence design and the flexibility of being able to take off the rear block to use the base jig for...
  2. Rushton

Dust Collection -- Tin or PVC

The best investments I've made in two different shops (my home basement shop and, now, a community shared shop) was the installation of a Clearview CV-1800 in my home shop and the slightly larger CV-Max for the community shop. 6" Sewer & Drain PVC (ASTM D-2729) pipe as far in every run as...
  3. Rushton

Gluing up exotics?

James King, King Fine Woodworking, builds a lot of his stuff with exotics. He strong recommends RUBBING down with acetone first. And he encourages vigorous rubbing to remove the oils. Then he simply uses Titebond PVA. A local woodworker ran his own tests of wiping with acetone, wiping with...
  4. Rushton

Glu-Bot

I'll be the contrarian here... I've use the Glu-Bot constantly over many years with Titebond PVA glue. Yes, the tip will get build-up in it that dries and gradually clogs it. But the glue does not adhere to the plastic from which the Glu-Bot is made. Don't cut the tip, simply pry out or pull out...
  5. Rushton

3 1/4 hp router options?

Go figure about the reviews, but the Bora 3-1/4 HP router motor we purchased from Woodcraft has worked reliably in our community woodworking shop for the past 3 years. Very smooth, not a hitch, and so far very reliable. It gets regular, but not hard, use. We use it in a JessEm router table and lift.
  6. Rushton

Can I cut Rockler's T-track with my miter saw?

I regularly cut aluminum t-track with my miter saw and carbide tipped blades. Just make a slow cut and don't lift the blade out of the cut until you've turned off the saw and the blade has stopped. I don't doubt that it's possible to chip a carbide tooth in the process, but I've never had it...
  7. Rushton

WANTED - Parf guide borrow or rental

This is a very nice offer, Chris! If I were within a shorter driving distance, I'd certainly take you up on your offer. Perhaps some others closer to you will do so.
  8. Rushton

New Christmas Toys ... uhhh ... I meant tools

I've always "cut to fit" for most of my work, but I've been doing small items recently that needed a bit of layout done. I've been skeptical of these "drag a line" marking tools, but this little Incra "Tiny T" 3-inch has been a treat to use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GU68LM
  9. Rushton

Thanks, Hank. I'm not in a hurry, and I've heard from John so he and I will coordinate once he's been able to use it for his project. I've been thinking I should give an MFT table a try in our shop, largely to facilitate quicker/easier use of our track saw for breaking down panel material. I'm...
  10. Rushton

Thanks, John!
  11. Rushton

Hank and John, if possible, I'd like to get in the queue to borrow the NCQQ Goodwill Woodpeckers hole boring jig. I'm now down in Huntsville, so I'll reimburse for shipping.
  12. Rushton

Drill bits

+1 for the Fisch brad point bits.
  13. Rushton

Screws for General Purpose

My local Home Depot carries a fair variety of GRK screws and Amazon carries a larger selection. Between these two sources, I keep stocked up on the GRK screws I'm likely to use. I tried to like the Spax screws, but they have thicker shanks and, as Zach says, have had a tendency to cam out on me...
  14. Rushton

Laminating Hardboard - Can I get a very flat uniform thickness result?

FWIW..., it turns out that the Woodworkers Source 1/4" melamine MDF is single-sided, but I'm going with it anyway because they seem to be good folks to work with. And, I'm ordering some Baltic Birch from them at the same time.
  15. Rushton

Screws for General Purpose

GRK screws are my go to for projects. #8 General Purpose Screws or #8 Cabinet Screws for most applications.
  16. Rushton

Sure. I found that Makerstock.com carries a variety of project panels in various materials, one of which is double-sided black and gray melamine MDF in various thicknesses and dimensions. Here's the link...
  17. Rushton

Many thanks to all who replied. I found an online source for 1/4" double sided melamine MDF and will plan to go with that solution.
  18. Rushton

DrBob, 1/4" tempered on both sides would likely work very well. I'm not looking to glue this to a wood substrate. It needs to be independently sound because it will be a removable/replaceable insert. HDF would probably work fine, too. But I haven't been able to find an online source for small...
  19. Rushton

Thanks, pop-pop. Good suggestions.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS