Search results

1. Yelverton

In need of resaw help near Durham

My friend and neighbor recently approached me to ask for help building a jewelry box for his wife for their first anniversary. Due to some foot-dragging on his part, we're now getting way closer to the deadline than I'd like to be, which brings me to my request. He chose some 8/4 hard maple for...
  2. Yelverton

Wanted - 2 1/4" plane iron

This morning at the MWTCA meeting I picked up a nice older 5 1/2c that takes a fairly odd iron size, 2 1/4" wide. The plane is in great shape, but the iron is just about used up. I could order a Hock replacement, but I'd prefer a factory iron. Is there anyone out there who has one they'd be...
  3. Yelverton

Advice for flattening/repairing live edge table top

A close friend has asked me to help flatten a book-matched live edge tabletop for him and I'm hoping for some experts' advice on the best approach. This is the top for a desk built for my friend's now-deceased father by his brother in 1977. In the intervening years the top has cupped a bit...
  4. Yelverton

Help identifying chair/bench

One of my coworkers is trying to identify the style of this double chair/bench and the type of wood. My best guess is that it's stained pine, but beyond that I don't have many good guesses. I haven't seen it in person, these are the pictures I'm working off of. Any suggestions?
  5. Yelverton

Anyone willing to loan me a dial indicator?

I bought myself a new table saw last week (through our sponsor Klingspor, of course) for delivery this Thursday afternoon. Exciting times. After spending the coin on the saw, I'm not keen to spend any more than I have to on setup tools and I think it would be foolish to cheap out on something...
  6. Yelverton

A few recent projects

It's been a while since I posted any project pictures so I have not been as productive as this post may make it seem. The projects were a set of traditional nightstands for my in-laws, a maple dresser for a family friend, a standing desk for my wife, and a new outfeed table for me. I threw in a...
  7. Yelverton

Looking for a 5C

I've been looking around for a 5C to finish out my set of corrugated planes but I've been struggling to find any that aren't a) missing important parts, b) damaged in important ways or c) already restored and way too expensive. I've enjoyed refurbishing my others, so I'm not afraid of putting...
  8. Yelverton

Old tools in Mt. Airy?

My wife and I are headed to Mt. Airy today for the Autumn Leaves festival and it occurred to me that I might have more luck finding some old tools there than I have in the Triangle. Any suggestions for places to look in that area?
  9. Yelverton

Need to install a culvert - any advice?

We're having a fence built around our backyard starting in a couple of weeks and to get ready for that, I need to install a culvert. There's a drainage ditch that runs across the corner of the yard and my plan is to dig it out a little bit, lay in a 12" culvert pipe, and cover. Any suggestions...
  10. Yelverton

Restoring Globe-Wernicke barrister bookcase

This week I got my hands on a Globe-Wernicke barrister bookcase that was originally bought (used) by my grandparents in the 50s. Based on the information I've been able to find about it, it appears to have been made sometime prior to 1920. Beyond the sentimental value it's something I'd love to...
  11. Yelverton

Suggestions for clamping a desk longer than my clamps?

So I'm just about at the assembly stage for a desk. The desk is 6' long and my longest clamps are 4' parallels. The apron and stretchers are M&T'd into the legs, so I need to figure out how to clamp things up. My plan is to glue up the subassemblies for the sides first, then the back apron and...
  12. Yelverton

Recently completed sapele end tables

Just figured I'd show off my recently completed sapele end tables. Construction is all mortise and tenon with ambrosia maple drawer boxes. The lower shelves mimic the floating look of the tops on both the rails and legs. All hand-cut joinery and finished with Arm-R-Seal satin. These were built...
  13. Yelverton

Damaged jointer. Repair or replace?

We moved over the last week and today was the last step, moving the shop. Unfortunately due to carelessness by some movers, my jointer was damaged. It's a 6" craftsman that I bought for $175, so I'm not too broken up about it, but will need to fix or replace. Unfortunately I don't think that...
  14. Yelverton

WTB: router lift/plate

So it looks like my second-hand router plate/router has given up the ghost. Does anyone have a setup for sale? My router table is built into a table saw wing, so I don't need that, but do need pretty much the rest of the setup. Fingers crossed and much appreciated.
  15. Yelverton

Milky spots in finish after applying finishing wax

Okay, finishing is not my strong suit, so I'm hoping others have suggestions. I recently finished a wall hanging key/mask/leash rack for friends and I'm having some issues with the finish. The piece was finished with 3 coats of tung oil/varnish mix about a week ago. Yesterday I put on a coat of...
  16. Yelverton

Problems with a box top

This year some of my Christmas gifts were small boxes. I made 3 from heartwood pine from our family farm, one walnut box, and two cherry boxes. One of the cherry boxes hasn't been given yet, so it has been sitting closed in our dining room for a couple of days. Unfortunately when I took a look...
  17. Yelverton

Finished my new Moravian workbench

Well, almost finished. Still need to build the tool tray, add end vise, add dog holes, trim the ends of the top and cut up some material for the lower shelf. Doesn't seem like much after using mostly hand tools to build what you see here. We're going to be moving early next year, so I wanted...
  18. Yelverton

Need advice on vise restoration

Good morning, all. I'm working on restoring an old 10" Craftsman vise and looking for some advice on next steps. Here's what I've done so far: 1. Scrub off surface grit/grease 2. Soak in vinegar for 24 hours 3. Scrub off rust with brass and steel wire brushes 4. Return to vinegar for additional...
  19. Yelverton

Second hand Rousseau router lift question

This weekend I picked up a few things from an estate sale and I'm hoping someone can help with getting one them up and running. The item is an older Craftsman router with an attached Rousseau router plate/lift. Everything is in good shape, but I couldn't find the wrench for the height...
  20. Yelverton

How to bevel the edge of a circle?

Good afternoon, all. My first post-holiday project is a lazy susan. Pretty straightforward, but there's one wrinkle - I want to bevel the edge inward toward the bottom of the disc, kind of a Reese's Cup shape. See side-profile picture attached. I cant quite come up with a safe and reasonable way...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS