Search results

1. Yelverton

Speaking of SawStop

Great pickup, very exciting. I did the same thing for mine. I'm not tall but I do like higher table heights in my shop.
  2. Yelverton

In need of resaw help near Durham

Thanks very much, Dan. PMing you now.
  3. Yelverton

No worries at all, thanks very much for considering.
  4. Yelverton

It's already crosscut, no pieces longer than 18".
  5. Yelverton

My friend and neighbor recently approached me to ask for help building a jewelry box for his wife for their first anniversary. Due to some foot-dragging on his part, we're now getting way closer to the deadline than I'd like to be, which brings me to my request. He chose some 8/4 hard maple for...
  6. Yelverton

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

Thanks for the heads up on that. I've been looking for an excuse to quit using the almost 3 rolls of the cloth-backed xfasten tape taking up space in my cabinet. Happy to have a replacement. If anyone is in Durham and wants them, they're yours.
  7. Yelverton

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

I actually don't love the xfasten tape. I mostly use double sided tape for routing using templates. I find that the tape is almost too sticky - it's tough to cut with scissors and the cloth backing isn't stiff enough. I prefer the paper-backed tapes, instead.
  8. Yelverton

Wanted - 2 1/4" plane iron

@Chris C I thought I saw a post from you here but it appears to have been deleted. I tried to PM you but the system won't let me do that. PM me if you're interested in discussing.
  9. Yelverton

Wrapping this up for now - Ed found a marginal Stanley iron and an iron from a transitional plane and they're in the mail headed my way. He tells me that the transitional iron is thicker than the stock Stanley but does fit onto a chip breaker, so we'll see if any plane mouth filing is required.
  10. Yelverton

MWTCA Antique/Traditional Tool Meeting January 20, 2024 in Mebane NC

Same here. I'm going to join this week.
  11. Yelverton

I think it was his plan all along to stay in the game a little bit. He'd probably go crazy without the chance to talk with folks about tools. You know how much he loves to talk.
  12. Yelverton

Thanks, Hank. Yep, I know Ed has closed the store but he was at the MWTCA meeting yesterday and had a table set up. I talked to him about an iron and he said he'd look through his stock to see if he had one. Fingers crossed.
  13. Yelverton

I'm going to reach out to Ed Lebetkin today and see what he has. I also met a nice guy named Roger (last name escapes me) from PA at the meeting yesterday who said he may have one. We'll see if either of those fellas has one.
  14. Yelverton

I believe that it's the same size as the 6 of the same era, with later 5 1/2s and 6s using a 2 3/8 iron. I could always get one that size and file it down to size, I suppose.
  15. Yelverton

This morning at the MWTCA meeting I picked up a nice older 5 1/2c that takes a fairly odd iron size, 2 1/4" wide. The plane is in great shape, but the iron is just about used up. I could order a Hock replacement, but I'd prefer a factory iron. Is there anyone out there who has one they'd be...
  16. Yelverton

1956 Craftsman Drill Press Rebuild - Completed

Just to hijack this thread a little bit - if you enjoy tool restorations, I strongly encourage you to check out Hand Tool Rescue on YouTube. There's minimal talking, just quality videos of restorations of a variety of tools, mostly power tools despite the channel name. This restoration would fit...
  17. Yelverton

Good YouTubers to follow?

If you just want to see someone build things, mostly furniture, and without a single hint of that, check out Ishitani for sure.
  18. Yelverton

Good YouTubers to follow?

Ishitani Furniture. No commentary. A nice variety of projects.
  19. Yelverton

MWTCA Antique/Traditional Tool Meeting January 20, 2024 in Mebane NC

Thanks. Yeah I won't be setting up a table. I'm a buyer not a seller. I'm interested in the group and seeing what's on offer. I need a replacement after the closure of Ed's Tool Store.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS