Search results

1. B

Why are threads closed?

It's not just the author who is prevented from replying though, I have encountered many threads I wanted to comment on, only to find they are closed. I've been a member of many forums for decades and have never encountered any of the issues raised in this thread as an argument for why closing...
  2. B

Why are threads closed?

I just noticed the Administrative link next to the thread tools, so it appears I can reopen it myself. Personally though, I would get rid of the auto closing - it defeats the point of a forum. Database space is a non issue and in fact, it requires more data to open a new thread than post in an...
  3. B

Why are threads closed?

I've never participated in a forum which routinely closes threads, and I have used many of them. Why is it done on this site? I wanted to post an update here -- https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64078 -- but it's closed :confused: It's very off-putting to contributing to...
  4. B

SawStop PCS 36" T-Glide - Raffle Prize

*drool* I want that more than I wanted the Hammer jointer/planer last year ... and I wanted that a lot! :D
  5. B

Bought a block plane!

Discovered another great use for the block plane today. I needed some slightly oval dowels to plug some holes in some reclaimed wood. I normally whittle something down with a knife but it's not that precise. The block plane made short work of it and it resulted in some tightly fitting dowels.
  6. B

Making a crosscut sled

I did but it's not really good enough to achieve what I want. It may need some setting up to get it a bit better but it doesn't have an adjustable bed so there's snipe, and the knives are damaged in places. Agree on the poplar from Lowes, Ken. It's far superior to that sold by HD. That's a...
  7. B

Making a crosscut sled

He has perfectly flat stock thanks to his jointer/planer, etc. I know how to make one, it's trying to make an accurate one with limited tools which is the challenge. Having thought about it, I do have some thoughts as to how to remove any bow from the fence so I'll try that tomorrow. I used...
  8. B

Making a crosscut sled

Thanks for the input all. A panel cutter jig is a good idea for my use case so I may also have a go at one of those. It's much easier to get a true straight edge when using the end of a board, as it has been ripped on the table saw, and there won't be any bow.
  9. B

Making a crosscut sled

It sucks not having a planer/jointer. I just removed the clamps from the front fence and that's more than acceptable as it doesn't have to be true. Most, if not all, of the bow has gone. The rear fence is glueing up overnight so I'll check in the morning to see how it is. I have some baltic...
  10. B

Making a crosscut sled

I'm planning to make a large(r) crosscut sled so I can cut 24" pieces (the size of the hinged lids for my drop zone). The first thing I realised is that without an existing large crosscut sled, it's difficult to get a perfectly square piece of plywood for the base for the new one. I had to use...
  11. B

Made a bathroom vanity, complete with sinks and taps ...

Yes, we're painting it together. I'll then finish it with a coat of varnish.
  12. B

Crib Project from Design to Completion - *Completed*

Re: Crib Project from Design to Completion - In Progress Very impressive - the attention to detail and craftsmanship is superb. It must be great knowing you hand built the cot your child is going to sleep in the first few years of their life.
  13. B

TV Stand Finished

Nicely done. Great design.
  14. B

It was actually a decent test of my tools and techniques. I had to make a pattern for the sink so I could use the router to cut the hole out. I don't have a pattern bit though, so I had to use the router table and move the block of wood around inside the pattern. Must get a pattern bit ...
  15. B

... for my daughter's doll house! :D She's been pestering me since we moved here to make some furniture for her doll house so I figured it was about time. For the finish she's decided on silver paint for the taps, white paint with black flecks for the sink (to resemble granite), and green for...
  16. B

Made some stuff

None at all. There are internal dividers every 20" or so, which are screwed to the rear and top/bottom, so that is the maximum unsupported span.
  17. B

Would a Tracksaw work?

Personally, I would lift and fix them again properly, with the required spacing between each board. A lot of work yes, but the end result will be a lot nicer.
  18. B

Made some stuff

Loving it! Got lots of stuff planned.
  19. B

Made some stuff

This is it finished and in place. It has made a huge difference and should make work easier and quicker.
  20. B

Made some stuff

It's an old Emerson Craftsman I purchased from John on this site. I wish I'd bought one earlier - there's stuff you just can't do with anything but a table saw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS