Search results

1. PeteStaehling

Only in Hawaii .....

No not me, but Mom and Dad were both from Minnesota or at least moved there very early in life (Mom was born in South Dakota). I was born and raised near Baltimore, Md. I don't know exactly when or where Mom worked for Hormel, it was only ever briefly mentioned and not in much detail. She was...
  2. PeteStaehling

Only in Hawaii .....

Spam is delicious IMO. I love it fried. We don't see the various flavors in the stores here in Tallahassee, but brought a bunch back from Hawaii. I recall my Mom saying she worked for Hormel briefly at some point, probably around the time Spam was introduced (1937) so she may or may not have...
  3. PeteStaehling

Only in Hawaii .....

Spam, eggs, and rice is a regular breakfast choice at McDonalds in Hawaii. It is pretty good.
  4. PeteStaehling

Paulownia

I have used it for sound boards before. It had a nice warm mellow sound. Probably a little like cedar. It is pretty soft so it will probably get dinged of more easily than most woods over time.
  5. PeteStaehling

Made a Mallet

Not only that, but it is nice to work with your own shop made tools. There is something special about that.
  6. PeteStaehling

Bird feeder design needed

FWIW, I have never found any of the designs that claimed to be squirrel proof to actually be squirrel proof. Eventually they figure something out. At least when it comes to the feeder itself. My favorite solution was the one that jumped up and down and shook the hanging feeder until a lot of...
  7. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

I agree on not painting the porter cable brand with too wide a brush. I think the routers and some other items are actually pretty nice. Some of their stuff may be low end, but maybe okay for low end. Some of it is pretty clunky if my impression of what I saw at Lowes was accurate, but to be...
  8. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

If you don't buy the used saw you were looking at, I'd consider taking advantage of the 15% off jet sale good until the 30th. You can find the Jet JWBS-14CS 14" Bandsaw at a lot of places for $679 plus $95 or so shipping. A pretty good deal... Check out the links below or google "Jet 15% off...
  9. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

Just a bit of clarification/waffling on my porter cable comment... I said I wasn't a fan. Just to be clear I don't own any porter cable products and my negative impression is based on seeing some junky looking machines in Lowes. To be fair I have seen some of my buddies porter cable routers...
  10. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

Ah, that all makes good sense. If we are comparing to a new Porter Cable or Grizzly cast iron machine that puts your comments in a different perspective and I get it. I am not a Porter Cable fan and think service policies are a rip off, so that one sounds like an especially bad deal. I...
  11. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

Am I missing something here? He was talking about spending $450 for a used Jet. How is that very close to the price of Euro machine? You seem to be referring to the 10-15% off offers that come up a couple times a year. Aren't these saws all going to be at least $1200 delivered? Were you...
  12. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

I was talking about the ability to properly tension a wider re-saw blade which I guess you may be able to do with a steel framed saw (I have no personal experience with that). Probably best to just figure that a 14" saw is for 1/2" blades and under any way. The cast iron saw will tension a...
  13. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

It sounds like a good deal to me if it is in decent shape. It also sounds like it suits your needs based on my read of your comments. FWIW, I do a good bit of re-sawing of fairly wide stock with my 14" cast iron saw with riser block and am happy with it. I am doing mostly lutherie work though...
  14. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

I have no experience with that exact model, but I have a number of Jet machines and have been very happy with them and also found Jet tech support and warranty support excellent. It looks like it is a newer incarnation of the cast iron Delta. Does the price look good? If so It is probably a...
  15. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

That brings up something else that I'll mention. The use of real thin blades allows using less tension for a given width and supposedly wider blades on a saw that otherwise wouldn't handle them. As a result you can supposedly use 5/8" or even 3/4" re-saw blades on a 14" delta cast iron saw. I...
  16. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

It seemed to be a general trend, but I had a falling out with Timberwolf re-saw blades after I decided that I was wooed by what was wonderful performance when new that didn't seem to last long. I also had other blades that didn't seem to last long after paying a premium price. Perhaps, I cut...
  17. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

I guess you do need to set them up somewhere near correctly, but they are not especially fussy. Some folks set them up with a pice of typing paper worth of clearance. I just make sure they are not super tight and binding. I've never had them heat up and cause any problem. They aren't...
  18. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

Why? Blocks work fine and are trouble free.
  19. PeteStaehling

Buying a bandsaw

I have mixed feelings on how much to spend on "quality" when buying band saw blades. I have not been completely convinced that once you get to a decent blade that spending more is always a better value. I don't buy junk, but sometimes I think buying a moderately priced blade in a decent brand...
  20. PeteStaehling

Cork sanding block

I made my sanding blocks with 3/4" plywood and some 1/8" rubber sheet glued on the face. It was from the big box store and I think it was intended to be used for isolating vibration when mounting stuff. I think it came in 12" x 12" sheets 1/8" or 1/4" thick in the plumbing aisle. It worked...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS