Search results

1. rhett

Been a long time....

Since I have been on this forum. Still a top notch operation I see. I stopped posting on here after I moved from NC. It's nice to see there are still some familiar names chopping wood and giving advice. Is DaveO still the top poster? Just wanted to introduce the new company I have started, here...
  2. rhett

Stickley #220 settee upholstery

I am getting ready to build a set of prairie style sofas. Stickley 220's to be exact, only in walnut and bubinga. Why buy it if you can build it, right? As I am just in the material/cost calculation faze of the project, does anyone here have an idea of how much leather I will need for...
  3. rhett

personal gloat

Here is a little gloat on behalf of myself. I got a little recognition in the local paper. Thought I would share. http://www.state-journal.com/news/article/4439627
  4. rhett

table top grain ???

I am finishing up a dining room set and have come to the table top. In the past I have always ran the boards down the length of the table and occasionally I slap a breadboard on the end. The cherry I am using was given to me by the client. I would not use it, but it has sentimental value to her...
  5. rhett

New Yankee Fans-2 questions

I saw an older episode of NYWS and I am in search of the name of a particular material Norm used. Can anyone tell me the name of the product used in place of webbing, it was a fabric, on the corner chair episode 0612? I would like to use it for some dining room chairs. I have emailed the actual...
  6. rhett

domino vs slot mortiser

Here is the deal. I have a large number of chairs to make (12) and do not want to cut 240 M&T's the conventional way. I want to make profit, not tenons. I can either convert the G0540 into a slot mortiser (locktite on the jacobson to account for lateral movement) or buy a domino. After...
  7. rhett

staining poplar?

I am calling on the wisdom of NCWW. I have just finished two built ins for my sister, and made them from some old poplar my father had in his building. The original plan was for her to paint them. Well, plans have apparently changed. Having known she was going to change her mind, I would have...
  8. rhett

Hello from former NCer

Its been awhile since I was last here and I thought I would drop in and say hello from my new home in KY. Hopefully I can still contribute even though I no longer live in NC. I am still a one man shop trying to survive cutting wood. Here are some pics of the new shop space. A big improvement...
  9. rhett

festool circular saw ?

Does anyone here have festool's plunge cut saw? I am curious as to how narrow a piece a stock can be ripped. The application would be for solid wood filler stiles on factory cabinets. Say ripping a 4" wide stick down to 2.5". I need an occasional jobsite saw and would rather buy something I...
  10. rhett

determining finish

I am going to respray a coffee table of mine, but do not know what the finish is. I do not want to strip, just scuff up the existing finish and clean it up. My only clue is that if you leave cold drinks on it, they form a white ring that disappeares once the spot warms up again. My thought is...
  11. rhett

too nice for a bathroom

My wife and I are getting the house ready to go on the market. In an attempt to get more money I decided to put new vanity's in the bathrooms among other things. I am also trying to work the wood stack down so as not to have to move a bunch of lumber. Problem is all I have is figured wood (not...
  12. rhett

finished mantle

Here is a mantle I recently finished. It is 10' x 6' solid cherry with a natural pre-cat finish. Thanks for the referal Bernard.
  13. rhett

Wood movement calculator

For anyone interested, I found this link awhile back. Has proven to be very helpful in calculating differences in tangential movement when combining different species of wood. www.justwoodworking.com/software/wood_move.php
  14. rhett

cleaning clamps

Anyone have a good method for cleaning glue off of clamp bars. I have some Bessey's that need attention due to sloppy clamping. I have thought of using my angle grinder with a wire wheel, but thought I would ask first. Thanks.
  15. rhett

wall hanging *pic*

This was a weekend project I put together. Mainly to have more pretty wood to look at in my home. The construction is straight forward, keyed miters and half lap joints. I tried to incorporate the golden mean through out the piece. It is curly maple/cherry. The finish is an orange oil and...
  16. rhett

grizzly 15" planer upgrade

If anyone is or is planning to upgrade G0453 15" grizzly planer to a shelix head pm me. I have the three bearings, gasket and helical gear to do this correctly. I would rather throw these parts away than deal with Grizzly again. I will not get into why I have these parts, I will say though...
  17. rhett

controlled rot

I have been told that you can spalt oak by putting compost material on it and checking it monthly. My fairly reputable source also added I should pour some dark beer on it to speed up the process. Not being one to waste wood or beer I was wondering if anyone has ever tried or heard of this. I...
  18. rhett

cleaning shop

I think everyone agrees that having a clean shop makes shop time more enjoyable, more proficient and ofcourse safer. While a major clean up is often tedious and time consumming, sometimes it's a must. I just wanted to share three very simple habits I have adopted that have proven to be very...
  19. rhett

shop upgrade *pic*

In order to cut full size sheet goods I must open my garage door, I only have 6' from front of saw to door. With my old door, when open, I only had 7' of headroom. Catch 22. Well, my problems have been solved. Got this door put in over the weekend with a high lift kit. Now I have all the...
  20. rhett

free planer knives

I have two sets of doublesided HSS planer knives off a 15" powermatic planer. I am quite sure they need a good sharpening, but for the price (FREE) I am sure they could be of use to someone on this site. I also have the head should someone want that also.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS