Search results

1. boxes

boxes

2. rhett

Been a long time....

Thats the site. Thanks for the link. I would like to take this opportunity to point out, that while the two piece construction of a wooden plane is nothing new, Nice Ash Planes is the first company to ever make a wooden plane with a completely captured crosspin, making it invisible from both...
  3. rhett

Been a long time....

Since I have been on this forum. Still a top notch operation I see. I stopped posting on here after I moved from NC. It's nice to see there are still some familiar names chopping wood and giving advice. Is DaveO still the top poster? Just wanted to introduce the new company I have started, here...
  4. stickley reproduction

stickley reproduction

5. arts and crafts kitchen

arts and crafts kitchen

6. rhett

Thick MDF

Get ready for some envy. I've seen his shop, and I think he is sponsored by Felder.:gar-Bi
  7. rhett

New Toyls

Everything was fine until I saw the Festool. You suck for having it, but rock for getting a deal.
  8. rhett

How many make their living in wood?

I try to make a living in only wood, but do supplement it with other trade work. Unfortunately, if you are even a decent woodworker, you will do much nicer work than most other tradesmen. The attention to detail really shines through. Its not like I enjoy trim work, tile, hardwood...
  9. rhett

Kitchen Room Table finish

My vote is for Waterlox. Rubbed oil look, easy to repair good durability and keeps the top from looking like plastic. If its strong enough for a floor, its definately strong enough for a table. Besides, the tile center will get alot of the abuse.
  10. rhett

Clarification on Non-Profit Corporate Status

This is my official withdrawl of wishing woodboogers to whoever it was I was wishing them upon. May there be sweet release with gentel blows. for all your woodworking days. Or just were wear a respirator.
  11. rhett

Clarification on Non-Profit Corporate Status

Thanks for the site Steve and everyone else who makes the machine run. It is a major goto even though I no longer live in NC. Why some people are intent on causing trouble for everyone else is beyond me. It must be a sad existence. May all trouble makers be cursed with unreachable woodboogers!
  12. rhett

Stickley #220 settee upholstery

Dancam Wow, $120 per hide is an excellent price. The last hide I bought was wholesale from Tandy Leather in Raleigh, and it was $450. A previous client turned me onto the 4hides, that is where they got the leather for the dining room chairs I did. Mike I am staying true to the original 220...
  13. rhett

50 sq ft per hide is average, but that includes the legs I guess, so I am figuring 40 useable sq ft. I am also unsure as to make loose cushions whick take more material, or a fixed sides and backs. Dan, before you buy leather from the upholsterer , check out www.4hides.com it is by far the...
  14. rhett

I am getting ready to build a set of prairie style sofas. Stickley 220's to be exact, only in walnut and bubinga. Why buy it if you can build it, right? As I am just in the material/cost calculation faze of the project, does anyone here have an idea of how much leather I will need for...
  15. rhett

How do I get this profile?

It was most likely steam bent, but that does not seem to be an option. IMHO, take the piece and trace the profile on a piece of mdf and make a jig. There are numerous articles to be found on the subject of strip laminating so I will save you the 500 word post.
  16. rhett

Rail and Stile

I would like to throw in a few tips that you will not find in the basic how-tos. 1. Make a cut-off block that is the width of two stiles minus the grooves. This way you can set your cut-off fence to the desired width of the door, lay in the block and cut the rails without figuring out every...
  17. rhett

Fine Woodworking Magazine quality question.

I would agree with the fact that FWW has been for quite a while slipping into mediocracy. I would like to point out though, that the majority of woodworkers posting on this subject are far from beginners and am guessing at it would take quite alot to impress or educate them, at this point in...
  18. rhett

Door construction ideas needed...

You could make the two pieces seperate, and then rout a stopped rabbit on the top of the door and bottom of the drawer. Glue in a spacer on the back that sits flush, and gives the appropriate distance between the door and the false front. Then any edge work will be consistent. :dontknow:May...
  19. rhett

Measuring and marking

A combo square is my go to item. I have a old one of my grandfathers and it is really heavy. Still don't know why they put a level on them. I also use a 12' tape in the shop. If its bigger than 12', I don't really want to mess with it. For machine set-up I use a plastic drafting square...
  20. rhett

Where to buy cheap Hardwood flooring ???

I have had nothing but good luck with simplefloors.com. I did 2100 sq ft of Bamboo in Raleigh. When I moved back to KY, I put in 1700 sq ft of distressed Walnut. I have a 160 lb Mastiff and a pre distressed "rustic" is the way to go. They have excellent prices even with shipping, they are...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS