Search results

1. DSWalker

Dust collection on Table saw with external motor

Is there any efficient way to collect dust on a saw like this? I have an old Darra James. If I drop a collection pan under this with a 4" hose will it help or does the turbulence from the motor, belts and blade make it useless?
  2. DSWalker

First shot at carving (don't laugh)

I know nothing about carving. My daughter got me a cheap carving set for Christmas and I decided to play today. Cut a piece of birch (I think) and just started cutting with the hook knife. Looks like some kinda... almost a bowl. ;) My hand hurts.
  3. DSWalker

Clamp storage addition to shop

I got lucky and found 17 - 4' Jorgenson heavy duty clamps over the weekend. I had been looking for 4 to 6 additional clamps for an upcoming team building day for coworkers, building cutting boards, but the price was right so I grabbed all of them. So, I now needed a better storage system...
  4. DSWalker

Heartwood pine

This was the short end of a beam that was lap jointed together as the base of a barn on my property. It is 4" x 6" and about 3 to 4 foot long. It has been waiting for a purpose and I'm thinking about splitting it to use on the face vise I bought last weekend. I assumed it was white oak, but...
  5. DSWalker

Yost F10WW Bench vise

Bought this off Amazon yesterday and it was delivered before I got home from work today. 10.5" vise. I did not imagine it to be this BIG based on photos on line! LOL (Hat to give it some scale.) I now have a weekend project! :)
  6. DSWalker

How long to wait before planing?

I'm planning a team building event with 4 to 5 coworkers to make cutting boards. What would be the minimum amount of time after glueup before safely running them thru the planer? Ive heard some do this after only an hour or so. I generally wait till the next day, so have no experience...
  7. DSWalker

Box Elder ??

I'm going to be making a desk for my grandson and he is a huge NC State fan. Thought about flaming box elder for the top, but I know nothing about this wood. Does the red color fade? I thought this could be for a cool top for a State fan. Is it a hardwood? Pros/Cons appreciated. Any local...
  8. DSWalker

New to me Scroll saw (RBI 216)

Picked up this well taken care of RBI 216 Eagle for $100 this morning. Can't find much of anything online about it, but being a well known brand I figured it would be a decent starter for me. It does have a larger pulley, so its a 2 speed I guess. I think the larger pulley would make it go...
  9. DSWalker

Grandkids projects ( their projects)

We had the grandkids (9 &7) the week before Christmas and I had to work, so Nana was in charge. Came home Friday and found they had been in the shop. (I keep all power tools unplugged and breakers off) They decided to make some cutting boards with some wood from the scrap bin and build a house...
  10. DSWalker

Finally, A table for my wife

Shortly after I started my woodowrking journey back in 2015 my wife asked for a table, but was undecided for a while on what she wanted. So I made several for friends and family in the meantime. This summer when I had to buy some lumber for a table for my neice I went ahead and got enough to...
  11. DSWalker

Can you darken/tint an oil based poly...

Stained a table top for my wife (she picked). Added first layer of poly only to be told it is too light. Are they any tints that can be added to the remaining layers of poly to darken it a little? Or shall I start sanding and start over?
  12. DSWalker

Checker board with grandkids

Had the grand kiddos for a long weekend. Decided to make a checker board among all our other adventures.
  13. DSWalker

Who needs clamps....

When you have a massive xxx ton hydraulic press? (I think they said 200 ton, but don't quote me on that) I had the opportunity to visit a lab at the NCSU Department of Forestry and Natural Resources today. A couple of professors want to build some bus shelters using mass timber composite wood...
  14. DSWalker

What type wood?

I picked up 4 of these table legs for $10 each for a table I'm building for my house. (wife says bout time) Purty good deal!! Any idea what type wood this it?
  15. DSWalker

Raised fibers on white oak when wet

So I cut and sanded these kitchen spatulas/pot stir'er's from white oak, not thinking about the fibers rising when they get used/cleaned. If I wet them, let the fibers rise, sand, then repeat a few times, will it eventually stop, or is this going to be a perpetual problem? This white oak is...
  16. DSWalker

If Pecan wood is so hard...

If pecan wood is so hard... Why does my pecan tree drop more limbs than all other trees in my yard put together? ( even without any storms)
  17. DSWalker

Tacky after stain

Working on a project using a minwax oil base stain. Shop has HVAC, so lower humidity and mid 70s temp. A couple days after applying the stain, some areas still feel a little 'tacky'. I don't recall ever having this happen before. It is quarter sawn red oak. Not in a huge rush to apply the...
  18. DSWalker

Mental lapse, got lucky

While cutting some white oak 4x4 table legs down to size I had a kick back. I was on the last one. They are too thick to cut in one pass, so I was pushing the first cut thru to clear the blade and then sliding it to the left to bring it back for the final cut. On the last one, instead of...
  19. DSWalker

Straight edge for breadboard ends

I made a tabletop that is 3' x 4' and need to add breadboard ends. The piece is too big to manage on the tablesaw. No track saw. Using a jointed board to run the Skill saw along, but each end cut has small deviations leaving a gap. It is small, but it is there. Any suggestions to help get...
  20. DSWalker

Carving: What do I need to get started?

I would like to make a few spoons with some of my scrap wood. I don't plan to get too crazy doing this, just a few here and there. What would be a good starter set of carving tools that doesnt break the bank?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors