Search results

1. DSWalker

Dust collection on Table saw with external motor

Is there any efficient way to collect dust on a saw like this? I have an old Darra James. If I drop a collection pan under this with a 4" hose will it help or does the turbulence from the motor, belts and blade make it useless?
  2. DSWalker

First shot at carving (don't laugh)

I know nothing about carving. My daughter got me a cheap carving set for Christmas and I decided to play today. Cut a piece of birch (I think) and just started cutting with the hook knife. Looks like some kinda... almost a bowl. ;) My hand hurts.
  3. DSWalker

Clamp storage addition to shop

Thanks for this idea. Another easy project and excellent use of scrap wood.
  4. DSWalker

Clamp storage addition to shop

I got lucky and found 17 - 4' Jorgenson heavy duty clamps over the weekend. I had been looking for 4 to 6 additional clamps for an upcoming team building day for coworkers, building cutting boards, but the price was right so I grabbed all of them. So, I now needed a better storage system...
  5. DSWalker

Newbe

Welcome!
  6. DSWalker

48 inch bar clamps - $15 (Washington NC) GONE

Great idea. I have some 6 footers that I've had to use on smaller projects from time to time. Won't have that issue anymore.
  7. DSWalker

48 inch bar clamps - $15 (Washington NC) GONE

They didn't. I just got them!! Martin, I think this is my 2nd purchase thanks to you!
  8. DSWalker

Gas springs or option

Would a trailer gate lift assist help? They are pretty low profile, but could be a trip hazard depending on your setup. https://gorilla-lift.com/product/gorilla-lift-2-sided-tailgate-lift-assist/
  9. DSWalker

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

Would you consider using pocket holes on top of the shelves with a 3" screw and just mount them directly into the studs? With the width of your shelves you'd have at least 2 to 3 screws per shelf, and a lot less work. I used this method on a bunch floating shelves that WERE made specifically...
  10. DSWalker

Shop Time / Vise

I did the exact same thing today! Do you plan to put any type of liner on the inside of the vise jaws? At the tall vise workshop I attended thru this group, we installed a thin layer of cork on the tall vise. Im thinking about doing the same. Also read about a leather liner. My chop is...
  11. DSWalker

Heartwood pine

This was the short end of a beam that was lap jointed together as the base of a barn on my property. It is 4" x 6" and about 3 to 4 foot long. It has been waiting for a purpose and I'm thinking about splitting it to use on the face vise I bought last weekend. I assumed it was white oak, but...
  12. DSWalker

Yost F10WW Bench vise

That makes it stronger! lol Go SEC!
  13. DSWalker

Yost F10WW Bench vise

Bought this off Amazon yesterday and it was delivered before I got home from work today. 10.5" vise. I did not imagine it to be this BIG based on photos on line! LOL (Hat to give it some scale.) I now have a weekend project! :)
  14. DSWalker

Thinking about making a Cat Tree

Ken, we also feed our cats on top of the washer. Luckily, our 3 dogs haven't figured out the jump up for a snack idea. Below are some floating shelves I made for our cats. We have tongue and groove walls behind the drywall, so 3-4 kreg pocket holes were plenty to hold them up with a 3" screw...
  15. DSWalker

Rustic Mirror with Shelf

I like this!
  16. DSWalker

First Project Complete - End Table

Looks good!
  17. DSWalker

How long to wait before planing?

All great suggestions so far. Will be using Titebond III. Can't really pre-glue, as part of the fun for them will be creating their own design. Shop has HVAC, I'll make sure it is nice and warm for a couple of days to get the wood warmer.
  18. DSWalker

How long to wait before planing?

I'm planning a team building event with 4 to 5 coworkers to make cutting boards. What would be the minimum amount of time after glueup before safely running them thru the planer? Ive heard some do this after only an hour or so. I generally wait till the next day, so have no experience...
  19. DSWalker

Question about older equipment?

Be sure to list your location so we know how close you are to us! :)
  20. DSWalker

Box Elder ??

I'm going to be making a desk for my grandson and he is a huge NC State fan. Thought about flaming box elder for the top, but I know nothing about this wood. Does the red color fade? I thought this could be for a cool top for a State fan. Is it a hardwood? Pros/Cons appreciated. Any local...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors