Search results

1. G

Floating Top Table Pics

So, I finally got some decent pictures of a table I finished last year.:icon_thum It's a floating top table modeled after an article in Fine Woodworking #135. I made two of them and gave one to my brother and his wife for a wedding present. That one was Maple with a Sapele top and this one is...
  2. G

What wax for hand planes?

I'm not talking about the "prevent rust" wax job, I'm talking about the "it's getting harder to push so it needs some wax on the sole" wax.:icon_thum I've seen paraffin mentioned and also seen some kind of sticky paste wax used. What do all you hand tool aficionados use?:dontknow:
  3. G

Delta Contractor saw purchase question

A guy at work is looking for a contractor saw and he's asking me about one on Craigslist. I thought I'd throw it out here for opinions. :help: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1354053813.html He wants mobility, quality, value and doesn't want a cabinet saw. On this one, I really only see...
  4. G

Need some finishing help - mirror frame

So, I kind of boxed myself into a corner. I am making another Chippendale style mirror frame and am trying to solve the problem I've had with previous frames. After the pieces are cut out, the shellac top coat doesn't quite fill the pores and any kind of rubbing out is complicated by the jagged...
  5. G

What else should I buy from Grizzly?

I'm going to order a switch (for my table saw) from Grizzly and the shipping is almost as much as the switch. So, I figured I'd pick up a few other things while I'm at it. Any suggestions (under $50)? Do they have any good pen making kits/mandrels/etc or jig/fixture type things that I can't live...
  6. G

Wooden Computers

As a frequent reader of engadget.com, I see occasional posts about this guy that builds computer cases with wood. I'm ashamed of my Dell gray plastic case after seeing these.:icon_thum
  7. G

Chippendale Mirror pic

When I bought my house 10 years ago, the former owners had a Chippendale mirror and I thought it looked cool. So, with my developing woodworking skills and a plan in Fine Woodworking, I made the mirror pictured below (The lines in the mirror are reflections from the beveled glass). I had used...
  8. G

Unisaw -3hp with 50" Biesemeyer -Charlotte

For sale on Charlotte.com. Looks like a reasonable deal at $875. (not mine, of course).
  9. G

Milwaukee 14.4V Drill $99

Shipped! Found this Home Depot deal (through a Woot.com top of page side deal). Sounds like a good deal (:dontknow:). Currently $150 on Amazon.
  10. G

TV Entertainment Center

Seems like TV furniture week, so here's my contribution! Last Summer I got a new TV and it wouldn't fit in my ol' particle board entertainment center from K-mart. I decided to make my own. Lucky for me, a guy at work had 1.5 sheets of Cherry veneer plywood he got from his neighbor and he said...
  11. G

Small chest done

I finally got around to posting (well, taking then posting:eusa_doh:) pictures of the small chest I made last year. I made it out of Cherry and Poplar I got from Kyle (it's all solid, no plywood). I used Moser's dye stain to even out the color and blend in some mineral stains in the wood...
  12. G

Spruced up the Unisaw

I bought an old (1956) Unisaw in January and decided to tear it down and give it a cleaning...and paint job...and lube job...and new belts...and rewire it for 220V... So, I got it put back together and here's what it looks like now (well, before I started churning out sawdust with...
  13. G

Bought an old unisaw

Way back in December, I posted about a saw I had seen for sale. I thought I wanted a newer version, but after listening to FredP and twodognc, I decided to give it a second chance. I called after Christmas and the guy said it was sold. Saw another one listed last week and, after an e-mail...
  14. G

~1963 Unisaw on Charlotte.com

Delta Unisaw with Unifence on Charlotte.com $550. I replied to this ad on the Observer's classifieds site and the guy called me back. Says he bought it "almost new" in 1963 and has used it occasionally over the years (kitchen cabinets, work around the house, etc). It's located in Mint Hill at...
  15. G

Small chest project progress

The site is chastising me for not posting in a while, so here's a picture of my current project. It's from a plan by Glen Huey and made from Kyle brand Cherry. Still need to rub out the finish and put on the hardware, but I've started to remodel my bathroom so it'll be a while. Shellac over...
  16. G

New member from Gastonia

Hello everybody. I've been reading the forum for quite a while and I thought it was time I stepped inside. I got started in woodworking after I realized that my desire for quality furniture didn't go well with the fact that I can be sort of a cheapskate. I'll make my own furniture!! So far...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS