Search results

1. drchristian

Delivery of 20”planer

Got a new Grizzly 20” planer on the way. I live on a dead end street and tractor trailer will not deliver here. I have in the past rented a drop bed trailer and picked up at the truck terminal but un-loading is not easy by myself at 72 years old. I called a moving company but they won’t touch...
  2. drchristian

Breadboard tabletop mortice lenth

Building dinning table from white oak with 3/4 top with breadboard ends. The breadboard is 4” wide. I was thinking of going with a 2” mortice and tenon and a 5/16 tenon. I am thinking of doing a full width mortice, no haunch to help keep the end from breaking if leaned on. Am I thinking right? I...
  3. drchristian

Domino Joint verses Mortice and Tenon

Got a Festool domino jointer. When do you use a domino verses a tradition mortice and tenon. I have used mortice and tenon for years. What is your opinion of the strength and advantages of each type joint?
  4. drchristian

Sticker Stain in Oak

Bought some Oak from a local sawyer that air dried it and after jointing one side it appears the drying sticks have deeply stained the oak see photos. I have not experienced this before, will it plane out or is just going to add to the character of the dining room table? May Be some bleach and...
  5. drchristian

Heating workshop

With winter coming on and as I am older and don’t like to be cold and just throwing out a large bag of sawdust. I was wondering if anyone had tried heating their shop with a sawdust stove? Not a lot on the Internet about a sawdust stove. I have in the fast used one of the kerosene jet heaters...
  6. drchristian

Grizzly G0609X and Harbor Freight Dust Extractor

It is the 97869 heavy duty. You may have nailed it.I took the hose off at the dual holes clamp and found a piece of styrofoam. It has probably been there since it was new. I will see how it does now. Thanks so much.
  7. drchristian

No did not realize there was an upgrade
  8. drchristian

I have a Grizzly 12 In Jointer that clogs up and starts slinging shavings out on the table. I have a Harbor Freight dust extractor that is probably not powerful enough. Are there any tricks to getting better extraction so I don’t have to stop and clean out the dust extraction port? I just don’t...
  9. drchristian

Oak Bed Frame

I made solid 4x2, and worked out great. Nice and solid but not so heavy that one person can’t handle it wit a little grunting.
  10. drchristian

Oak Bed Frame

Well here is the final results in it’s new home
  11. drchristian

Damn 16/4 Red Oak

They don’t, they buy products from those who do, I never said they had their own kiln. I do not know their internal operation but I do know they are great people who stand behind what they sell.
  12. drchristian

Damn 16/4 Red Oak

Great information, that is probably what I will do. Thank You
  13. drchristian

Damn 16/4 Red Oak

Yes they are, one call and they took care of it. The sign of a great company is how they handle issues and NC Hardwood Store is #1 in my book. Good people.
  14. drchristian

Damn 16/4 Red Oak

It is 16/4 got it from the Hardwood Store In Gibsonville. They are going to make it good, they are good people. They said that on thicker stock, if their kin operator pushes the kiln on thick stock that can happen. Part of it is my inexperience. If I had looked closer there was surface evidence...
  15. drchristian

Damn 16/4 Red Oak

I think this will have to go back, I can’t use it, to make bed post.
  16. drchristian

Oak Bed Frame

Getting ready to Build a Queen size Red Oak bed frame for my Daughter-in Law. She wants the bedpost to be 4"x 3". In checking with Hardwood Lumber store, they only have 12/4 in Red Oak listed. I have to build up the post anyway. Being that I have never done a Oak Bed Post that big before, I am...
  17. drchristian

Dry spots in Finish

The The tops which was sprayed was the first machined parts and I suspect that the contaminate was the worst on those. They were cut and surfaced a couple weeks before the rest which was finished with a wipe on poly. I suspect that if they were sprayed they would have exhibited the same issues...
  18. drchristian

Dry spots in Finish

I just went brain dead and used a product I picked up at Lowes, I have a can of glidecoat on the back of the self in my shop. Now I get to wipe everything down with some mineral spirits and put on some glidecoat or paste wax. If I could kick my own butt, I would.
  19. drchristian

Dry spots in Finish

I just had an epiphany, I bet I know where the contamination is coming from. A couple times a week I coat my tool cast surfaces with a rust inhibitor, lubricant. It is in a spay can. I did not cover my project and I bet some over spray got on the raw wood. My project was pieces were probably...
  20. drchristian

Dry spots in Finish

Just got back from woodcraft store with some dewaxed shellac. Acqacoat in the trash. Picked up some Behlem grain filler. Going to build queen size bed frame next. Thank you for all your help it is appreciated very much. I wish we had a local club so we could learn from each other

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS