Search results

1. L

Exposing Ply to the Elements

Ever use quality interior plywood, say baltic birch, for an external (meaning: full exposure to the elements) application and make it work? That's what this thread is about. I'm tasked with building a "tiny library". I can save a lot of time simply sizing a sheet of quality plywood rather than...
  2. L

Advice: Conditioner on Veneer

Should I use pre-stain wood conditioner (PSWC) on wood veneer prior to stain? I've repurposed a ReStore find into a quite functional, much-needed custom piece. I'm applying veneer to the flats and apron. I intend to stain the thing with a dark oil and buff it to a satin finish with wax. I'm...
  3. L

Refreshing a Cutting Board

Hiya, fellas. I've volunteered to refresh an 18 x 24 cutting block of a small artisan bakery here in Cary. I could simply sand progressive grit across each side of the thing, of course. But I believe running it thru a shaper and planer would do an all around better job, and quicker too. Problem...
  4. L

Air Compressor -- When to Retire

I own a 17yo Craftsman air compressor (model: 919167240). It operates perfectly. I use this thing often. Owners of this compressor are supposed to drain accumulated water from the tank after each use to prevent internal rust. Rust potentially weakens the tank walls and that creates the very...
  5. L

Opinions: DIY Saw Blade Sharpening

I've used Raleigh Saw to sharpen my 10 and 12 inch blades in the past. The owner is a super nice guy and incredibly proud of his shop--he gave me a comprehensive tour of his place and explained each of the myriad specialized edging machinery. Their per-tooth charge is competitive, but cumulative...
  6. L

Q: Knife-Edge Blades

Does a 10" knife-edge blade exist? I need to size down a fair amount of foam core and cardboard accurately. As I slog about using a straight-edge and utility knife at my workbench, I sense my table saw over there sniggering at me. It occurs to me that a 10" knife edge would be splentastic for...
  7. L

CAD Software of Choice

Curious to garner the opinions of kindred spirits who use CAD to work out their projects before setting board to blade. Specifically, what is your preferred software and how well do you manage workflow with it. For example... I model everything I build in CAD. Doing so provides me several...
  8. L

Bolection-style Moulding

Bo-LEK-shun... bolection. Bolection moulding is peculiar in that few know it by name, yet most everyone has seen it. The stuff exists in a bazillion profiles, and typically frames raised panels in furniture, cabinetry, doors, and wainscot. Its defining characteristic is a prominent round-over...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS