Search results

1. kelLOGg

Can this window be repaired?

We have 3 double hung windows where the spring-loaded tensioner has broken loose from the window frame side making it nearly impossible to open. We are selling the house and have just discovered these problems. We almost never raise the windows so it went undetected for a long time. My fear of...
  2. kelLOGg

I need a chair leg replaced

We have a set of six 100+ year-old dining room chairs from my wife's family and one of them has a broken leg. We a looking for someone to make and install a new leg. It requires bending and is something I should not undertake. Any takers? or recommendations of one?
  3. kelLOGg

Router guide ideas

I am making a work bench which will have diagonal bracing in the back and the diagonals will have slots routed in them where they intersect to make them flush. Rather than making a guide for this specific project I want to make an adjustable one so it can be use in a variety of projects where...
  4. kelLOGg

...and I thought bowl turning required skill...

Keep reading - no offense intended. We had to cut down an ash tree because of EAB and since there were no long logs for lumber it became firewood and cookies. I put a 24" diameter trunk section on my sawmill cookie platform and cut 2" thick cookies for end tables and the remainder of the section...
  5. kelLOGg

How would you repair this seat?

I'm helping a friend repair this broken seat. Would you use epoxy, Titebond or what else? I think dowels are asking for trouble... I've asked him to bring the base on which the seat is attached. Thanks for input.
  6. kelLOGg

Finish for outside benches

I am involved in sawing logs for outdoor benches from yet-to-be-determined species and I need to pass on recommendations for a finish. Very likely the wood will still be wet when the benches are made. Plans are to let then "dry" in place then apply finish. Any finishes for wet wood? Anyone used...
  7. kelLOGg

Sanding small items

I cut several small (~4" dia) cherry cookies which I need to fine sand to remove drum sander lines. My palm sander is 5.5" dia so I had no way to keep the cookie from rotating while sanding. I purchased a sanding pad which still allowed the cookie rotate so I returned the pad an hour after I...
  8. kelLOGg

Finishing screw-up

I applied tung oil to a pine cookie and the sand lines from the drum sander became more visible. I usually re-sand with fine grit in my orbital sander but this time I must have omitted that step. I tried sanding after the tung oil application and, as I expected, the sand paper gummed up. What...
  9. kelLOGg

Double door cabinet latch

Has anyone seen or know where to get a latch of the below design but with 2 latching tongues? I am making a mobile cart that has a stationary vertical post between 2 doors that I want to lock shut with a single latch. I would like to just turn a knob and have the 2 tongues retract to allow both...
  10. kelLOGg

Replacing outside door

Check out what happened to the glass on my neighbor's door. It's double pane and the outside one shattered spontaneously and you can scarcely feel the cracks. I think it is beautiful and wish there is some way to safely remove it for display- but I digress. The issue at hand is replacing the...
  11. kelLOGg

Need ideas for fasteners

I am building 2 mobile altars for my church from an ash tree that was cut down two years ago. I will soon be fastening ash panels (5/16" x 5" x 38") around their perimeters and I don't want the fasteners to be so visible they attract attention and distract. There will be about 200 fasteners, be...
  12. kelLOGg

May I use your disk sander for a small job?

I have 2 arced pieces of ash and I need to sand one edge of each to make it perpendicular to the face. The pieces measure 2" thick, 2' wide and the arc is about 4 ft long. I think a disk sander would be ideal for this. So, if you have one and are willing for me to come over to use it for a few...
  13. kelLOGg

"Baking" cookies

I made a cookie holder for my sawmill that works so well and fast that I couldn't stop baking making them. If you have a short scrap log from which you want cookies up to about 25" wide I am offering my services - free (if I don't hit foreign objects) - for a while. PM me for specific...
  14. kelLOGg

Lamp Shade

I had a pine board that I milled 1.25" thick and needed to resaw it to 1". The kerf is 0.092" so the cutoff was about 1/32" which I thought would make firepit kindling but when I illuminated it from behind (see pic) I thought this is not kindling. I am thinking now "lampshade" and advice from...
  15. kelLOGg

Knotty Live Edge White Oak

16. kelLOGg

Free Cookies

I had to have a big leaning pine cut down and am now sawing the crown lumber into cookies. It is so easy with my cookie blank holder on my mill and since I don't need more fire pit wood I decided that cookies are the way to go. Diameters range from 5" to 12" and thicknesses of 1/2" and 1" but...
  17. kelLOGg

Kiln Dried Red Oak

Boards have 2 live edges and came out of kiln last week dried to 7.9% MC and sterilized to 136 F. I am offering them to NCWW at $1.50/ bd ft before I list them on CL. nominal width (in) length (ft) thickness (in) quantity cost/bd $ 19...
  18. kelLOGg

I need someone to do a small lathe job

I need an oak cylinder turned 1.5" diameter and 5" long with reduced diameter at the ends according to the rough sketch attached. Must be near Durham. My usual sources for dowels (Lowes and Rockler) don't have 1.5" stock so I will deliver the rough square stock to you according to what you need...
  19. kelLOGg

Selecting a belt (Powermatic 16" model 160)

I have an old PowerMatic planer, circa 1964, whose knives are being re-sharpened and in the meantime I am inspecting the drive belts. I found one that is very worn and cracked so I removed it and measured its length by wrapping a flexible tape around the outside and got a length of 63.5 +-...
  20. kelLOGg

Help again on Craftsman radial arm saw

The saw can be seen in an earlier post: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?search/270012/&q=radial+arm+saw&c[users]=kellogg&o=date Currently, when I turn it on it will do one of the following: 1. make no sound at all and the blade/motor doesn't turn. 2. hum/vibrate and blade will...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS