Search results

1. kelLOGg

Turning Chair Legs questions

Thanks. You’ve been a great help, Mike!!
  2. kelLOGg

I applied 2 coats of black stain according to instructions - last coat was 12 hours ago. The legs feel dry but the black color slightly rubbed off onto my hand. Instructions say to let dry for 8 hours - I waited 12. The stain is penetrating so I was surprised that there was pigment sediment in...
  3. kelLOGg

Because I can’t throw a piece of wood away

I am of the same mind as Donn and Aaron.
  4. kelLOGg

All turned out very nicely. I will stain tomorrow when the epoxy holding in the bolts sets. Thanks for your comments and offer, Mike,
  5. kelLOGg

Holly cut down

My experience is that it must be kiln dried immediately after felling to preserve the whiteness.
  6. kelLOGg

That’s a very nice offer. Someone has offered help with the lathe at my retirement home in Durham and if that doesn’t work out I’ll be in touch.
  7. kelLOGg

👍 Good news! Thanks.
  8. kelLOGg

Okay. That's pretty straightforward if the lathe I have access to has a chuck big enough. Another issue I need addressed is that the wood to be turned is white oak which is rather hard. That is the only choice I have and I have glued 3/4" pieces together to make a 2.25" square blank. Any...
  9. kelLOGg

I have a neighbor who picked up a chair with missing legs from a swap shop. I offered to make square legs because I have never turned wood on a lathe but I the more I thought about it, I decided round legs are a better choice because the legs are screw-on and a square leg would probably end up...
  10. kelLOGg

Your Health or a Loved Ones Health

My Dr. did not recommend either but I had it done anyway. 6.9 and a year later 4.08 w/ no treatment. Right direction but I will have it repeated thanks to Guiding Hand's experience.
  11. kelLOGg

Can this window be repaired?

I have decided to seek a repair person's help. I've got too much going on with the preparation for moving. I love DIYing but I'm too stressed out to take it on. If the estimate is too high I will change my mind.
  12. kelLOGg

Thanks for the input. I will google it.
  13. kelLOGg

16 yo.
  14. kelLOGg

We have 3 double hung windows where the spring-loaded tensioner has broken loose from the window frame side making it nearly impossible to open. We are selling the house and have just discovered these problems. We almost never raise the windows so it went undetected for a long time. My fear of...
  15. kelLOGg

I need a chair leg replaced

The plot thickens. I don't know what approach I will take but I know it will not be soon. Wife and I are moving into retirement home (Croasdaile) in a month or so, so "repair" or whatever won't take place until after that. ugh.
  16. kelLOGg

More good info. I like the spline idea because it involves initially gluing the break back together in situ assuring the curvature of the leg is oriented properly. Right? Then the leg could be removed for the making the spline slot and inserting it. FWIW, I am adding a closeup of the leg, notch...
  17. kelLOGg

I just watched 2 of the videos and they boosted my confidence in how to use the dowels. Maybe that's what mquan01 was talking about. Thanks again.
  18. kelLOGg

Tone, The rear legs are about 1.25" dia. at the seat and have a notch 0.25" deep and 0.75" long in them to receive the seat. I assume the notch bears most of the weight of the seat. All 6 chairs are made the same way. Is "running a handsaw through the break" for the purpose of making the 2...
  19. kelLOGg

Thanks, Mike. Your response sounds realistic to me. I knew this is going to be a time-consuming job. Brian is in Asheville - a bit of a travel.
  20. kelLOGg

The screw hole would go through the dowel.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors