Search results

1. David Turner

My shop in Durham

Always enjoy the pictures of your work. Really nice shop space.
  2. David Turner

Tormek Grinding Wheel Change

Scott: I decided against the expense. I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost.
  3. David Turner

Making side bead planes

Love persimmon. Have made many lathe tool handles from it. Finishes beautifully. Purchased mine also from Murdock. Also love the side escapement planes, Jim.
  4. David Turner

Matte vs gloss

I am probably the wrong one to ask as I don’t do anything shiny. Finish all my period furniture with shellac and rub out to matte/satin.
  5. David Turner

Cherry Sale - Capital City Lumber

Bradley: That has been my problem with Capital in the past. What they call 4/4 is actually 3/4 after they have machined S2S. To get 1" thick you have to buy 5/4 that they have machined to 4/4. As you know in building furniture. you need to joint one surface flat and then thickness plane. 3/4"...
  6. David Turner

Negative rake scrapers?

Am planning or coming to Walnut Cove just as soon as you have time. Just let me know when. David
  7. David Turner

Negative rake scrapers?

As I continue to struggle with getting a smooth cut with my bowl gouge, I look for a better way than the 80-grit sanding paper. Lot of hype on YouTube about negative rake scrapers being the solution to tear out. I have a regular scraper that I have tried, and it does little to nothing to improve...
  8. David Turner

What's new at the bench?

WOW Dan, you have been busy. Beautiful work!
  9. David Turner

Lefty loosie worked. Found quite a bit of rust on washers and shaft from the water. Nothing a wire brush won't take care of. Now do I really want to spend $385 for a diamond stone?
  10. David Turner

All the YouTube videos show loosening by turning clockwise and tightening by turning counterclockwise. Could be my machine is of an older model (super grind 2000) and there was a change made to the shaft on new models. I will try loosening by turning counterclockwise . Lefty loosie.
  11. David Turner

I am considering changing my Tormek to a diamond grinding wheel. In looking at the instruction manual it says the wheel has right hand thread, but the picture and caption shows the hex nut being tightened by rotating clockwise. I thought right hand thread was loosened by rotating clockwise. Advise?
  12. David Turner

Spindle or Bowl Gouge(s)?

Dan: I wasn't planning on selling any of the tools. I plan to take some refresher classes and learn better on how to use them.
  13. David Turner

So, Andrew, I am thinking of replacing my Tormek grindstone with a diamond stone. Are you saying that I can only sharpen HSS?
  14. David Turner

Thanks Mike. Do you think the remaining gouges are spindle?
  15. David Turner

Bought these from a high school shop class that was closing. I am sure the two on the right are bowl gouges and the 4 TH from the right is a roughing gouge. What are all the others.? Spindle gouge?
  16. David Turner

Grandfather Clock

I like it!
  17. David Turner

Bow front Vanity - Advice or build resources?

YouTube has numerous projects like you describe.
  18. David Turner

Good YouTubers to follow?

Another outstanding period furniture constructor is David Boeff.
  19. David Turner

Good YouTubers to follow?

Tom Smoller, period furniture construction. @Papa's workshop
  20. David Turner

Period Furniture Construction on YouTube

If you enjoy and/or build period style furniture, then check out Tom Smoller on YouTube. @Papa's workshop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors