Search results

1. N

Next Charlotte Area Meetup - Input Requested

At the first two meetups we discussed the best time for the post-holiday meetup and mid March seemed to be obvious choice. We also discussed having a member do a demo, having the meetup hosted by some sort of professional shop, a "group demo" where everyone could bring a shopmade jig or tool to...
  2. N

What is your weakness?

I have come to the conclusion that finishing is my kryptonite. I avoid it and I have zero discipline when it comes time to do all of the finish sanding and application of varnish, shellac, etc. Often times my projects will sit for extended periods as I put off the only part that makes me want...
  3. N

Heads up to the new woodworkers or those needing good, low cost chisels.

The week of September 13th Aldi will have the chisels in store. https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/aldi-finds-for-august-30/september-13-detail/ps/p/workzone-wood-chisel-or-file-set-1/ If you aren't aware, these are the chisels Paul Sellers uses and recommends. I don't own any, I don't...
  4. N

Ammonia and Epoxy

I've tried finding a clear answer to this question via Google but no luck yet. I'm pretty sure there are at least a few chemists kicking around here. If I plan to fume with ammonia, will it affect the integrity of cured epoxy I've used in some knots in my table parts? This is unscented, Target...
  5. N

Charlotte Area Meet-Up - August 26th - All Are Welcome

We've put together a meet-up in my shop in Rock Hill on the 26th of August. Start time 4:00 P.M. End time ??:?? P.M. (This is the night of the Mayweather/McGregor fight, FYI) We're planning another for October if you can't make this one. Everyone is welcome to attend! Many of us will be...
  6. N

Charlotte Area Members We Want Your Input

Hank (Hmerkle) and I had a small private message conversation about doing what we can to drum up some activity for those of us in the Greater Charlotte area. I suggested a bi-monthly or quarterly meetup, rotating between members' shops and he agreed that it might be worth a shot to get going...
  7. N

Anyone have a forge?

I'm looking for someone in the Rock Hill/Charlotte area who might be able to trade a slab or two of oak for some forge/anvil time. I have 2 pieces of steel round bar that I'd like to turn into holdfasts but my makeshift forge has cracked and my "anvil" is just a steel plate on a grinder stand...
  8. N

Make a chair with me?

I'm wondering if a few would be interested in making a Brian Boggs style ladderback with me in my shop? What I'm thinking is a workshop over 4-5 days that would be spread out over as many months/weeks or whatever length we decide upon. I would explain/demonstrate each step for you on the chair...
  9. N

Jet lathe tailstock cracked, if you're willing to buy a new one this lathe can be yours.

(If this is wrong forum I apologize.) Tailstock on my old JWL-1236 cracked all over this morning. I'm not buying a new tailstock for 150-200 so if you're willing to replace it then the lathe can be yours, just pick it up. Has a 5/8 stub drive, stand, live center, faceplate and one tool rest...
  10. N

Help light my way...

Overhead lights. What do you use that you like? What do you recommend I avoid? I currently have 4ft T5 fixtures but not enough of them. In planning to upgrade my options are to either purchase more T5s or to redo my shop with something new. I want to go the new route but I'm not sure where to...
  11. N

Hmm, this seems safe...

So I took the plunge and ordered a Festool Domino XL last night and I was trying to find a picture this morning to visually explain to my wife what it does. Well, I came across this in google image search and had a bit of a laugh. A jig-circular-self-feeding hand held saw!
  12. N

Willow Oak, trials and tribulations...

Is willow oak known to be a bear to dry? I cut and stacked a bunch of it in 8/4 slabs back in October. I have since cut, stacked and dried to 7-11% some 6/4 sweet gum that read ERROR on my moisture meter when I stacked it (ERROR means over 50%, meter can't tell). Today is when I pulled and...
  13. N

Dining Table - Wedding Gift

This is the first project I've ever posted online (with the exception of my private Facebook account) for others to critique. The top is 8/4 Hickory with one butterfly key with an epoxy filled crack and an epoxy filled knot on the opposite end. Edges are eased with about a 3/8 inch wide 45...
  14. N

Source for hook and loop/Velcro sandpaper sheets or rolls?

I bought a Shopsmith hand sanding block that uses 3x5 1/4 sandpaper sheets. While the block is awesome to use (very soft in your hand) I would rather not pay Shopsmith over 1 dollar per tiny sheet to purchase their pre-sized paper. Does anyone know of a good alternative, affordable source? I can...
  15. N

Lumber/Sawmill

Hi all, it was recommended to me by a user on another forum to join and post about my situation over here. I have a sawmill set up in my back yard that is very under utilized and I would love to allow anyone close to me that can move logs (I can help also, if needed) to feel free to contact me...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS