Search results

1. D

Goodwill Lathe

To whomever has the lathe currently, I have a tool rest for the grinder that was loaned to me with the lathe. It was left behind when I transferred it to the next user. I'm in downtown Raleigh if you're ever this way. Maybe shoot me an email if you're interested. dan@dpcrow.com
  2. D

ANOTHER GOODWILL LATHE!

Redbeard.
  3. D

ANOTHER GOODWILL LATHE!

Long belated reply, but I passed it on last December to another member.
  4. D

Fumed Quartersawn Oak Mailbox all done.

It did take a while to complete. The next one will be butt jointed with tacky glue. :-)
  5. D

Thanks Hank. And I love that term!
  6. D

I think I finally dialed in the figure with this quartersawn white oak. When the light hits it just right....pow! I fumed the box with household ammonia for about 24 hrs in a small cooler. A much more desirable (and safe) process than getting the 'industrial grade' stuff. Proud chamfered...
  7. D

Final Finish for Exterior Oak Mailbox.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Turns out I DID ammonia fume it! I should've mentioned that originally. I've done it a couple times on projects and for whatever reason, I'm not getting the 'pop' that I expect. Things just darken across the board. Still looks nice, though. In any case...
  8. D

Final Finish for Exterior Oak Mailbox.

Hi all, I should've posted finishing questions her eons ago, but here's one. I've got an oak mailbox that will live on a covered porch. Right now it's got three applications of a mix of equal parts Boiled linseed Oil and Wipe-On Poly. It looks decent, but only shows its quartersawn flecks at...
  9. D

Goodwill lathe - moving to next user

I'm located in downtown Raleigh. The lathe and tools worked great the last time I used it, which was pitifully too many months ago. I'd emphasize the suggestion to have a teacher nearby as it comes with a lot of accessories that were a mystery to me. I'd have taken a class, but....well, 2020...
  10. D

Anyone want to use my lathe?

Neal and Mike. Yes. I have it. Been keeping Hmerkle up to date from time to time as he was the 'keeper of the list' last I heard.
  11. D

Entry Level Wood Lathe

Hello there! I've currently got the Goodwill Lathe. Not sure about the list. Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been busier than ever with my kids at home and can't check the forum often. Been harder than ever to get shop time!
  12. D

Getting protective masks to those who need them most.

Thanks Steve. I don't imagine they're still out there anymore but I'll check!
  13. D

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/UnderstandDifferenceInfographic-508.pdf Hi Jeff, Believe it or not, even the simple dust masks will help in the hospital setting these days. When worn by the patient, they work to limit the spread of infectious droplets out into the air. For the doctors...
  14. D

Hello all, I know I'm not the only one who has a family member in healthcare. My wife currently works at several hospitals in the Raleigh area including UNC Rex, and Wake Med. As you've probably heard, there is an every increasing need for protective masks, N-95 rated, or even just plain dust...
  15. D

Knew Concepts saw

Just my 2 cents. I have the 5 in. rotating blade. Havnig a rotating blade has been great. It makes the depth of the throat somewhat irrelevant since when you rotate the blade, you can work as deep as you need to. It's terrific for dovetails and saves me a lot of time cleaning up.
  16. D

Dont know how long this will last. Jet 12" parallel clamps.

So, yeah. Same here. Just got a notice that the order will be cancelled in a couple weeks if the seller doesn't ship the clamps. I'm not holding my breath
  17. D

Bandsaw drift

oh, i see. Well then you're screwed. ;-)
  18. D

Bandsaw drift

I'm far from an expert on Bandsaws but I'd suggest instead of centering the blade on the wheels, try centering the gullet of the blade instead. The blade as a whole might appear slightly too far back, but it's corrrect. Check youtube for 'Snodgrass bandsaw' or go here . He explains the...
  19. D

OK. How did they make this simple thing?

Yeah, that's interesting. I suppose they could've glued a portion along the slot near the center (to allow for a little movement of the boards), or perhaps the wedging action of the dovetail maybe holds it all together w/o glue. Mine hasn't gotten here yet, but I'll let you know when it does.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS