Search results

1. Dusty Sawyer

Chainmill Sharpening - Score one HFT

:thumbs_upFor years now I've been milling my own lumber but have been hand sharpening my blades. My rig is a Stihl 044 with a 30 inch bar using semi-skip chain on a Granberg mill.... that adds up to 105 teeth on a blade. I had done some in depth reading recently to find out why I wasnt able...
  2. Dusty Sawyer

Roadside Treasure

So the LOML waits until almost midnight the other night to tell me that she saw an interesting looking pile of wood on the way home that had a sign saying "Free" next to it. Being your average wood-guy, I had to get into the van and investigate. By the time I got there, only two pieces...
  3. Dusty Sawyer

Easter Eggs?? Chicken says "ouch"

Just in time for Easter, I started turning a few Eggs and other objects so that I could practice some new finishing techniques. Here are the Eggs: View image in gallery They were turned from Ash and then treated with Behlen Stain for the coloration and then Lime Wax to enhance the grain. Here...
  4. Dusty Sawyer

Incredible Bowl Lathe

Found this on Craigslist up close to where I am now.... too bad I just bought a PMatic 3520 Motor - 3 HP, 240/480 Volt 3 Phase. Condition – Good Comment - 72” capacity, 3” diameter spindle. Radicon; 40:1 gear reduction. Slow speed motor. Footprint = 35” x 35”. Weight approx. 1,100 lbs. Floor...
  5. Dusty Sawyer

Which Lathe Chuck to Buy ?

Buying a new lathe with a different spindle size has put me at a crossroads with my old Grizzley chuck. While it's been a good one for the price, I can see a few issues with it that I don't want to have repeated in the next one I buy. Without giving too much information about what I think is...
  6. Dusty Sawyer

Variable Speed Control Question 1HP

I'm looking for a way to add some kind of speed control to my existing Lathe. Right now I can run between 400 and 1600 RPM on my Powermatic Model 45 lathe which employes sheeves. In order to turn large items on the outboard I really need to get down to about 75 to 150 RPM to be safe. I've...
  7. Dusty Sawyer

Simple Holiday Decorations

I got the inspiration for these after seeing some small turnings made to look like little bird houses. Those were nice enough but thier shape remineded me of little acorns. While I found that it was a nice detail to add a mesh pattern on the cap by using a knife, it is much nicer to have the...
  8. Dusty Sawyer

Outboard Toolstands

I'm looking for an outboard toolstand to go with my old Powermatic lathe, any suggestions on where to find one or what type would be best?? Thanks, David
  9. Dusty Sawyer

WTB - Lathe Outboard Stand/Tool Post

I'm looking to find a free standing tool stand for my old Lathe so I can do some outboard work. I've been using my drill press stand, but that is not going to do forever. Send me a PM if you have one available or know somebody I can bug until they give thier's up Will work for tools Thanks...
  10. Dusty Sawyer

Nice Machinery on Craigslist

Found this listing: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/528329347.html I have a Grizzly G1023Z 10" table saw with a beisemeyer rip fence. Saw with rip fence cost 1,400.00 new. Will sell for 750.00. I have a Delta 2hp 230 volt single phase 12" professional radial arm saw. Cost 1,850.00 new...
  11. Dusty Sawyer

Moving to Ohio - it's official

So the title of the post pretty much says it all. LOML has taken a position as the Director of Digital Technologies for the Columbus OH Metropolitan Library and we are moving in January. This is a great milestone in her career and I'm proud of her. Good news, for me at least, is that I'm...
  12. Dusty Sawyer

Jet 10" $175 saw on CL in Charlotte

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/445380774.html
  13. Dusty Sawyer

Lathe Issue Fixed !!!

Some time ago I bought a Powermatic Model 45. Great hearty machine. It only came with a live center and a spur drive though and I've picked up a few extras to go with it. I noticed that faceplates seemed just a little bit out of round and wobbled ever so slightly. As long as you don't go...
  14. Dusty Sawyer

found on Craigslist,Unisaw/dc/Rout-tbl/planer

Came across this on Craigslist - it's in Rock Hill http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/402435436.html 1. Delta X5 UniSaw with 52" Beisemier fence and mobile base 1yr old $1200 2. Jet Dust Dawg dust collector with external filter cleaner and several runs of ducting an blast gates $350 3...
  15. Dusty Sawyer

8' Vega Lathe in Columbia SC

Craigslist in Columbia SC has an 8" wood lathe with copy attachment. No price listed and I really don't know much about Vega. But it could be a good deal if anyone is interested in looking into it. David
  16. Dusty Sawyer

Turning and Burning

Turning a vessel with a top cut right off the top of the same blank yields some cool results. I've turned a couple of vessels with very small mouths and have always parted the blank partway and then cut it with a saw. Last weekend I was parting the top for an 8" diameter walnut container and...
  17. Dusty Sawyer

New Walnut Bowl

Just finished a new Walnut bowl on a new-to-me Delta 1440 lathe. The material was really awesome to turn. Finishing was more challenging than the Oak I've been working on, carefully taking it through each grit carefully checking for scratches every time. I also posted several more new...
  18. Dusty Sawyer

Need a source for some Welding

I am looking to find someone who can build me a couple of tool rests for my lathe. They would need a 1 1/8" post and a 1 1/2" by 3/8 bar. I just don't want to pay the high prices to buy some out of the box solution online; I'd rather pay someone local a fair price for thier work. If anyone...
  19. Dusty Sawyer

Bowls exploding on lathe

It goes without saying that they guys who sold me the face shield knew what they were talking about when they said, "and never take it off". I had a 13" bowl almost finished on the lathe today, but had to take if off to do something else. When I put it back on, I could not seem to get it to...
  20. Dusty Sawyer

Square Red Oak Plate

Thought I would try out a non-round project for a chance. It came out good, and I believe that the next one may be bigger. The wood is Red OaK which I milled from a tree myself and dried. The biggest challenge was getting the corners sanded properly while it was spinning on the lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors