Search results

1. M

Brass plate etching tutorial.

Some folks asked for more details about how I etched the brass nameplate shown in this thread. It is just like making a silkscreen. Here are the details. Necessary supplies: - A piece of brass to etch - Laser or inkjet transparencies. - Photosensitive dry film - Ferric chloride powder or...
  2. M

Brass-bound "treasure chest"

I just finished up this project as a gift for my son. It's a "treasure chest" as he is a 2y old who is really into pirates. 12x12x18", small enough that the lid can't hurt little fingers too bad. It's khaya with a padded garnet shellac finish and a coat of black wax. I had tried to use aquacoat...
  3. M

Identifying finish... Is this NC?

I am having trouble figuring out what this finish is on this mid-century piece of furniture. I want to repair it. I thought it was nitro cellulose based on how brittle it was and the period it was made. I removed a chip and put it in lacquer thinner, though,band it didn't dissolve. It became...
  4. M

Baltic birch plywood and the war in Ukraine

Per the article linked below, the cost of birch plywood may be going through the roof soon. The US looks poised to revoke Russia's trade status, which will put Russia's imports to the US back on 1930s Smoot-Hawley Act tariff rates. The article says that birch plywood is one of the goods that...
  5. M

WTB: Eggbeater drill, ready to use.

I'm looking to buy an eggbeater drill in excellent, ready-to-use condition. My good friend and former roommate just bought his first house and is also expecting his first baby in a few months. I was in this exact position a few years ago, and I found an eggbeater drill to be absolutely...
  6. M

What is this tool?

Probably not a woodworking tool but I don't know who else to ask. It's a brass conical point that a pocket knife blade folds into. Not often I find a tool I can't even guess at. Found in the lab of a geochemist.
  7. M

Veneering over old hide glue residue?

I have a chest of drawers, pictures below, that I picked up for $50 a while back. It's a cool old handmade piece, hand joinery, plane tracks on no-show surfaces, etc. It has nice veneer on the drawer fronts, but at some point somebody ripped off the veneer from the main body. The "finish" on...
  8. M

Brick

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/d/buffalo-brick/7236494721.html One cinder block, one dollar. That's at least 60% off of the new price. Not mine, not endorsing. It's right down the road from me though so if you're interested I can mail it at cost.
  9. M

New-to-me 10" jointer restored

I just finished restoring a 10" shortbed (60") jointer from the 40s, made by the Adelard Soucy company in Quebec. It's a serviceable, no frills jointer. It's main attraction to me was that it would give me sufficient width for stock prep without taking up my whole shop (and a great stand...
  10. M

DeWalt 735X planer $499 on Amazon

Good price. Not sure what the 735x designation means though vs normal 735. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OX9KME/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabt1_dlC_gkLWFb34WR9Q2
  11. M

General Finishes wood bowl finish - free w/ NCWW donation

I won a quart of general finishes wood bowl finish in the raffle, but since I live in NY now it won't be very feasible for me to collect the prize. So I will give it to the first person who says here that they want it and makes a donation of any amount to NCWW. Just give what is worth to you...
  12. M

Conversion Varnish HVLP

I just picked up a can of Lenmar Megavar conversion varnish (standard, not high-solids) for refinishing a dining room table top. It will be my first experience with conversion varnish. I'll be spraying it through a Earlex 5500. Can anyone offer pointers for: appropriate thinning (%, lacquer...
  13. M

Removing latex paint but not polyurethane?

The previous owners of my house watched too much HGTV and fancied themselves painters. As a result, there are tons of paint splatters all over the shoe moulding and floors, which are finished in oil-based poly. Is there some chemical treatment that we can use to soften the latex paint for...
  14. M

Using a jointer without the fence?

I just picked up a nice little 10" shortbed jointer, like this one (gloat over). While the cutterhead is 10", with the fence installed it has a max capacity of 8". Is it dangerous to face joint a wide board without a fence? Like if one edge wandered off the cutterhead and then wandered back on?
  15. M

What woods are these? Theories of origins of this furniture piece?

My wife and I bought a vanity this weekend and we're curious about the origins of the piece. It was sold as a Biedermeier-style piece, but it's definitely 20th century (NC lacquer finish, die-cast hardware, plywood) and not a one-off item. I'm interested to know what you think the veneers are...
  16. M

An interesting beech tree

I saw this American beech in the woods yesterday. The ribbing on the trunk went up probably a good 16', and there must be fantastic flame figuring in that grain. I thought it was neat to see the odd sort of growth that creates the grain figure that we prize, and I think figured beech is...
  17. M

Repair to a "water based clear coat"

I own two of these armchairs: Truss Chair | Chairs & Gliders | Gus* Modern One got a deep scratch in it, and I'd like to repair the finish. The only info on the mfr website is that it is a water based clear coat finish. I'm guessing this means water based lacquer, not poly since this is a...
  18. M

HELP! Can someone in RDU help me store that planer until June?

So for those of you following along at home, I'm trying to get this Belsaw planer. I'm a real sucker for a nice OWWM. The issue is that I'm currently in Canada and I won't be back to NC until June. Is there anybody that could pick up the planer and store it for me until then? I'd give you $75...
  19. M

$150 Rockler Gift Card for $130.

My brother in law got me a very nice $150 gift card to Rockler for Christmas, but there aren't Rockler stores here in Canada, and the shipping + duties are a real killer. Does anyone want to buy this gift card for $130? Payment can be via venmo or paypal, and I'll PM the card to you.
  20. M

Attaching leather to wood.

I'm looking for adhesive recommendations to attach leather to wood. I was considering either liquid hide glue or epoxy. I have some fairly thick (8oz.) veg tan leather that I want to attach to a curved strip of wood. The contact area will be pretty minimal... the curved strip is be 1/2" by 6"...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS