Search results

1. M

Need suggestions for retractable castors for a heavy bench

Footmasters: Amazon.com They go on all my heavy equipment and are amazingly sturdy. Very expensive, but serviceable knockoffs can be had cheaply, and with a set of four rated for 2000 lbs, you're not pushing the boundaries of their performance...
  2. M

SOLD FS: Buffalo Forge 15” Bench Top Drill Press SOLD

I have the floor model of this DP, also restored. It's a good DP, can recommend.
  3. M

Piano added piece - achieving the gloss black?

No experience, but I did once do a good bit of research into this when I was trying to paint a tulip table in high gloss. The approach I was going to use was waterborne automotive paint (Dupont Cromax) followed by an automotive clear coat, and then rubbed out like a car paint job. I ultimately...
  4. M

WTB: Motor Pulley for 15" Buffalo Drill Press

I have the same DP and have looked for the same pulley for a very long time (and I'm in Buffalo, where there are a ton of those DPs). The motor pulleys seem to all have disappeared over the years. You will not find one for a reasonable price. Good news is that a generic 4-step can do just fine...
  5. M

Fixing extreme wear in hardwood floor

The "steal wood from a closet" approach is definitely the way to go here, if possible. Re: office chair mats... make sure it's meant for wood floors. I learned the hard way that the little nubs on the bottoms of them to grip into carpet will dent up your floor.
  6. M

Workbench flattening for a hand-tool 'newb"

BLO is a good choice of finish, but i came to say from personal experience, do NOT let finish get in the dog holes of you intend to use a holdfast. They will not hold fast. I would borrow or drop the money for a #7 for the final levelling (@45 deg first then along the bench, light cuts). Your...
  7. M

Advice needed on countersinks

KEO Cutters zero flute countersinks, excellent in wood and soft metal, absolutely zero chatter. https://www.archcuttingtools.com/product-category/countersinks/countersinks-countersinks/zero-flute-countersinks/
  8. M

Anyone willing to loan me a dial indicator?

I will not discourage you from borrowing vs buying. But I will say it would be foolish to not cheap out on a dial indicator. If the runout on your table saw blade is 0.002", you're doing GREAT. There's no need whatsoever for the sub-thou accuracy that a Mitutoyo or similar will give you. The $15...
  9. M

Powermatic bandsaw FMP in Jacksonville, NC (not mine)

To each their own. If I wasn't currently living 700 miles away I would be on that like white on rice!
  10. M

Any paint chemists here?

If the product had a longer shelf-life, it would take too long to reach final hardness. I don't think there's a conspiracy going on... the product spoils precisely because it's doing what you want it to do, except it's doing it in the can instead of on your project. I use MegaVar post-cat from...
  11. M

Router Plane

FWIW Veritas is pissed at KM for selling a (pretty blatant IMO) ripoff of their router plane, down to the details on the casting. I wouldn't buy it on principle. But then again I would buy a cheapo one (my stanley was like $60 or so) or stick a chisel in a block of wood with a wedge.
  12. M

Need a dehumidifier that lasts, suggestions?

I can't say I've had as bad of luck as you, but I tend to consider them as semi-disposable, and if they last five years I consider myself lucky. My current Toshiba is on year 4 and it works pretty decent in my damp basement, routinely bringing the RH below comfort levels, like 35%. So there's...
  13. M

Can't find code re. Romex inside conduit

I'm sorry, the math above is wrong! Specifically in computing the areas of the conduit, I forgot to divide the diameter of the conduit in half to get the radius. You would need to use 2" conduit in order to run three romex cables. (2/2)^2*pi * 40% = 1.26 in^2 max fill in 2" conduit
  14. M

Can't find code re. Romex inside conduit

Your conduit would need to be 1" conduit. NEC specifies that, for 3 or more conductors in a conduit, the maximum fill area must not exceed 40% of the total conduit cross-sectional area. When running Romex in conduit, this is how you calculate the area: "(9) A multiconductor cable, optical...
  15. M

Steel city jointer

Delta is far and away the easiest manufacturer to find old parts for. They made soooooo many machines and people are always parting them out. I would recommend going with the old 'arn.
  16. M

Determining Board Ft from Forest

Jeremy: Your calculator is in radians mode, not degrees mode, when doing the tangent. I got your incorrect answer, 26.6, if I did the calculation with an angle measurement of 35 radians. Using an angle measurement of 34 degrees, the correct answer is 19.78. You can also ask Google to do it for...
  17. M

Whoops, I had the formula wrong in my initial post. I've corrected it, and in the doodle below. Does the pic below make it click?
  18. M

As far as determining height, you can use your woodworking bevel gauge with something heavy hung off of the metal piece. Stand back a fixed distance x you can measure from the tree, 10 ft is good if you just want to measure up the trunk to the merchantable height. Let the metal part of the bevel...
  19. M

Did you, and if you did, why did you?

The workbench book is given away freely as a PDF I think, so you can see if you like it before ordering.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS