Search results

1. M

Woodworking and Pesticides

Thanks for the informative response. I think I’ll take my chances with it.
  2. M

Woodworking and Pesticides

My dad had an overgrown red tip photinia come down in the storms here in Raleigh last week. I’ve heard this solid wood is good for turning so I was thinking of using it for that. However, I know for a fact this tree was sprayed with Sevin pesticide back in the 90s (nothing commercial grade, just...
  3. M

Folding portable workbench - Midtown Raleigh (sold)

Simple and effective. The picture shows me everything I wanted to know. Thanks!
  4. M

Folding portable workbench - Midtown Raleigh (sold)

I really like the adjustable planing stop. It’s something I’d like to incorporate into my own workbench. Can you share some details about the fastening hardware and any intricacies that might be useful to know? Thanks!
  5. M

Jointer Services Wanted

Well, I didn’t even really think the blade could be the issue, but it very well could be. I’m using a 28-tooth general purpose blade, which actually has quite a few miles on it. I convinced myself that calibration (fence, blade perpendicularity, etc) is the issue. For all I know, the blade has...
  6. M

Jointer Services Wanted

Thanks for the offer. I can’t get out that way on the weekdays, but I’ll follow up on the weekend if I don’t hear from anybody in the neighborhood. Thanks again.
  7. M

Jointer Services Wanted

I’ve tried a variation of this arrangement, but still could not get suitable cuts for joining. I also tried the method where you cut one board laying on its “top” and the adjoining board laying on its “bottom” to account for the fact that the blade might not be set at exactly 90 degrees and that...
  8. M

Jointer Services Wanted

Sorry, I should have included a description of the size pieces. I’ll post a pic when I get back to the house, but the biggest piece is about 13” long by 3” wide by 2” thick. I have about seven pieces in total that decrease in width from there (thickness and length are all about the same). I’m...
  9. M

Jointer Services Wanted

Hello, I milled up some cherry wood as best I can for a glue-up, but I seem to be unable to get the gluing edges flat enough not to leave gaps. It’s close, but there are some obvious gaps that I’d rather not fill with the “sawdust and glue” method. I only have a table saw and a hand planer and I...
  10. M

Second box

Awesome. Could’ve used that setup this past weekend to cut sections of plywood for some shelves in the garage. Will set something like that up next time. Thanks, Aaron!
  11. M

Second box

Great work on the box. Looks terrific. Unrelated question: What sort of arrangement do you have clamped in your Workmate? I’m always looking for new and better ways to hold wood. Thanks.
  12. M

ISO Craftsman 30 Inch Bow Saw Blade

This saw never let me down, but this evening I let it down. I pinched the blade and broke it when trying to remove it from a log. I really blew it and am quite upset with myself for not being more patient when trying to remove the blade. I'd like to get a replacement blade of a similar vintage...
  13. M

Miter Saw Question

Ok. That sounds like an easy solution, which I prefer to swapping out parts. I’m going to give that a try when I get home this evening. Thanks.
  14. M

Miter Saw Question

I bought a used Craftsman 10” miter saw to replace my old Metabo 10” saw. I apparently didn’t do enough research on the used saw before I bought it, because it turns out that the cutting capacity of the Craftsman won’t allow me to cut 4x4s all the way through (it leaves about an eighth of an...
  15. M

Oil for Old Scroll Saw

Ok. The bottle of bar oil I have doesn’t indicate the weight anywhere on the bottle. Good to know. Thanks.
  16. M

Oil for Old Scroll Saw

Awesome. Thanks so much. You provided the concise answer the internet couldn’t.
  17. M

Oil for Old Scroll Saw

Hello. I picked up an old Craftsman 16” scroll saw that I’m looking to clean up and get working. To that end, the instructions say to use SAE 30 oil to lubricate the bearings. Forgive my ignorance, but the more I read about oil viscosity, the more confused I become. Can someone recommend an oil...
  18. M

Treadle Lathe

I built a quick-and-dirty “bench top” pole lathe but could never get the timing of the reciprocal motion down. The treadle is easier for me with regard to coordination.
  19. M

Treadle Lathe

Originally posted in Turning, but I think Hand Tools is more appropriate. ———— I built this gnarly treadle lathe from Roy Underhill’s “Lathe from a Loft” article in a past issue of Popular Woodworking. I dismantled the kids’ old playset early this summer and repurposed some of the wood to...
  20. M

Need Help Identifying Species

Thanks to everyone who responded. I’m going to assume maple and find an appropriate use for it. I was going to use it to try my hand at making a hammer handle, but I think I’ll heed Jim’s advice above and wait for some hickory.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS