Search results

1. Richo B

Tea box project

Beautiful.
  2. Richo B

Simple box with pivot lid

I tried searching on YouTube for making a box with a flipper lid and they still are showing me results for sliding lids. I think YouTube was just trying to steer me away from anything but sliding lids to begin with. But flipper and invisible hinges do seem to be common terms for this.
  3. Richo B

I had considered making mine a through pin but really wanted to do it the way I did as it was based on a simple jewelry box I saw at a hobby store this past weekend.
  4. Richo B

This week I built a simple box with pivot lid for housing a collection of tools I recently acquired from my Dad in Iowa. The wood used was poplar and some 1/4" birch plywood. I had looked for videos on how to make a pivot lid but couldn't find any. The YouTube algorithm is getting harder and...
  5. Richo B

Woodworking Hourly Rate

In my field puzzle creations are very custom and can bring in more money. But we're also selling to a very niche audience. Not the common consumer. Though I haven't started doing commission projects myself, yet, a custom puzzle box can go for $500-800 and a puzzle cabinet over $1000 depending...
  6. Richo B

Puzzle Box 5 - The Clock completed

New video up shares how it works and some of the construction.
  7. Richo B

I just looked at the PDF. Quite detailed and very helpful. Really wished I had seen this before but instead I learned the hard way as is often the case in life and woodworking. My gears have triangle pointed edges rather than the classical form you show. I picked a couple mechanisms out of the...
  8. Richo B

I used geometry/lines for the gears that I made for the Puzzle Box. I tried gluing paper patterns to some of the stock but didn't have good results. Also I made my gears out of scrap tiger maple given to me by a friend. My gears are rather small so plywood didn't work as well as the maple.
  9. Richo B

I've downloaded the pdf and will take a look at it. I should note that I work only with hand tools so a lot of the gear tutorials available, say on YouTube, don't work for me as I don't have a bandsaw, table saw or scroll saw. Using a compass, hand saws, files and rasps is how I made the gears...
  10. Richo B

I'll certainly do that. I miss Morgans and all of you.
  11. Richo B

I've actually never been on the Resource forum. I'll have to check it out.
  12. Richo B

I will be posting a video on how it works and the construction in October on my YouTube channel Richo Woodworking. I've tried explaining it in these forums but a solve video works so much better. I'm currently in the process of sharing it with my testers which are average people to see their...
  13. Richo B

Dovetail saw

I started making dovetails with a Gentleman's saw I bought at Woodcraft. Nothing fancy and a good tpi (often higher). I still use that Gentleman saw along with my Veritas dovetail that was suggested by the first response. Enjoy making dovetails, they are fun to make the more you do it.
  14. Richo B

Puzzle Box 5 - The Clock is finally completed. This is the last project that I started in North Carolina before moving to Knoxville. The oak of the bottom section was given to me by my friend Joe Scharle and the purple heart left over from the Parthenon puzzle cabinet project. This project took...
  15. Richo B

New shop, same type of work

We've moved to Knoxville, TN and I've set up my new shop in an extended two car garage. This funny clock was actually hidden in a closet upstairs and I decided to make it part of my new workshop. It has become the symbol of my Knoxville workshop. If you've been following me on YouTube you've...
  16. Richo B

Farewell to NC

Absolutely. They actually have snow!
  17. Richo B

Farewell to NC

Leon's skill exceeded anything you could imagine, especially for a non-carver like myself. He showed us numerous examples of driftwood that he turned into things you often see in museums. I didn't realize he passed away but I remember you saying he wasn't in good shape last time I saw you.
  18. Richo B

Farewell to NC

Yeah and its only four hours to Winston Salem (same as from New Bern) so I can continue to meet up with my friends there.
  19. Richo B

Titebond(ed)

I'm glad to see its not just me having problems with Glu-Bots.
  20. Richo B

Titebond(ed)

This is actually a good idea. I've tried the Glu-Bot route but found that if I wasn't gluing on a regular basis it would have its own problems, like not being able to dispense because some of the glue dried or settled inside. When you only assemble once or twice a year the Glu-bot may not work...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS