Search results

1. rob.nester

New tool, yay! How to get it home?

My new powermatic 8” jointer came into the store (yay) now I have to figure out how to get it to the house. Anyone in the Holly Springs / Cary area and willing to help me out?
  2. rob.nester

"Classic Joints with Power Tools"

Anyone in the RDU area have a copy I could borrow for a bit?
  3. rob.nester

3/4 Plywood span?

I'm curious if anyone knows what the max span is for 3/4" ply? I'm designing a new desk for my office and I'm thinking that I want to just use ply (probably 3/4 maple or walnut) and I wondered if I could make it 8 feet wide or not. I'm attaching an image of the design and would love feedback. My...
  4. rob.nester

Trestle table in maple & bloodwood

Finally getting around to posting this. Any feedback / comments are welcome! see more here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2966
  5. rob.nester

Electrician recommendation in Holly Springs / Apex / Raleigh

Hey folks, I need to get a 220 line in my garage and the wife want's a "licensed electrician" to do it... (something about not wanting me to electrocute myself...) Anyways, anyone have any recommendations for a licensed electrician who won't charge me an arm and a leg....
  6. rob.nester

Request for help - Making custom dowel

Hey folks, I'm working on a table in maple and bloodwood and I'd like to have the breadboard dowels in bloodwood and wouldn't ya know it, they just don't make bloodwood dowel :D Anyone around the Holly Springs, Apex, Cary, Raleigh area have a dowel making plate and a few minutes to perhaps walk...
  7. rob.nester

4x4 pine posts - non-treated?

Anyone know if it's possible to find 4x4 (nominal) non-treated pine anywhere? Or am I going to have to break out the glue?
  8. rob.nester

Newly finished blanket trunk project

Built a blanket trunk as a wedding gift for some friends. White oak and padouk with a cedar bottom. Much thanks to skymaster for use of his shop for some of the work and thanks to Brad for the emblem! http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2948
  9. rob.nester

My first "furniture" project

With the help / advice / lecturing / mentoring of Skymaster, the first of a few upcoming "furniture" projects are done! I designed these tables for my front porch in SketchUp and, amazingly, the finished product turned out to be pretty close to my initial design. The tables are made from...
  10. rob.nester

Let's choose a finish - cypress edition!

You guys were great with feedback on finishes the last time I asked, so I figured I'd ask again. This time around, I'm looking for suggestions on a good finish for a pair of cypress end tables for my covered front porch. I chose cypress because it's a pretty weather / rot resistant wood, and I...
  11. rob.nester

Review this kitchen table design?

Hey folks, I was hoping that those of you who are much more experienced than I in designing furniture would mind taking a look at the attached sketchup file of a kitchen table and bench I'm planning on making, and provide any feedback you might have. Just a note: ignore the wood grain...
  12. rob.nester

Source for 5/4 or 8/4 Bloodwood?

Anyone know where I might be able to find about 10-12bd ft of bloodwood 5/4 or thicker?
  13. rob.nester

Let's choose a finish!

So I'm planning on building a kitchen table for the wife. She's requested that it be made from either: 1) Maple & Padauk or 2) Maple & Bloodwood Now, I personally prefer the tighter grain of the Bloodwood but she likes the color of the Padauk. Either way, I want to figure out the best finish...
  14. rob.nester

Jointer knife jig to borrow?

Anyone have one of these type jigs I could borrow for an evening or so?
  15. rob.nester

SYP for Workbench build? Help!

Winning the hold-fasts and the bench dogs at the picnic this weekend was sufficient indication that the fates want me to get started building my workbench. I'm thinking a 2' x 7' bench, about 33-34" tall. I've read through Christopher Schwarz's books on workbenches and, as much as I'd love to...
  16. rob.nester

Buying new (first) chisels... what do I need for sharpening?

So I'm planning on ordering a new set of chisels (my first set - http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41504&p=67707) and I'm wondering what else do I need? I watched Paul Sellers video on flattening the backs of chisels, but I wasn't sure what else to pick up to get the new chisels...
  17. rob.nester

Router recommendations?

Hey folks, I figured I'd get the collective input here. I'm fairly new to woodworking but I'm looking at buying a router and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. What I "think" I want/need is as follows: 2-1/4 hp or more fixed and plunge bases (although perhaps I should just one or the...
  18. rob.nester

Greetings from Holly Springs, NC!

Hey folks! I grew up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains in "Mayberry" before moving to the coast and then to New England for a number of years. Upon returning back to NC and settling into Holly Springs I recalled how much I enjoyed woodworking, diy and building things with my father...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS