Search results

1. rob.nester

New tool, yay! How to get it home?

My new powermatic 8” jointer came into the store (yay) now I have to figure out how to get it to the house. Anyone in the Holly Springs / Cary area and willing to help me out?
  2. rob.nester

This arrived today!

Just wanted to say thanks for posting your feedback on the grizzly, as I am currently debating between a grizzly or a jet 8" with a spiral / helical head.
  3. rob.nester

Raleigh area Lunch Bunch Meets this Friday

I'm going to try to make it.
  4. rob.nester

"Classic Joints with Power Tools"

Anyone in the RDU area have a copy I could borrow for a bit?
  5. rob.nester

Shop Space to share

If you find something in Holly Springs, I might be interested.
  6. rob.nester

3/4 Plywood span?

Gotcha. Question: Would the idea mentioned earlier, running a ledger between the drawer frames - say 2" high, provide enough support or would I need a full length wider ledger up there? My goal with this piece is to keep as clean and simple as possible...
  7. rob.nester

3/4 Plywood span?

Oh I fully intend to expose the plys.... this is a desk for my usage and I'm thinking of going for an "industrial" look, not fine furniture :)
  8. rob.nester

3/4 Plywood span?

Chris, Just curious, would the desk back not provide a ledger support?
  9. rob.nester

3/4 Plywood span?

That's why I was curious; would the rear support be enough? I don't necessarily mind doing a 2 inch strip at the front, but if I can avoid it... All edges would get either an 1/8" or 1/4" round-over, so I'm thinking that would handle the the damage aspect?
  10. rob.nester

Trestle table in maple & bloodwood

It is laser-engraved maple, thanks to our very own Vetteman9956!
  11. rob.nester

3/4 Plywood span?

I'm curious if anyone knows what the max span is for 3/4" ply? I'm designing a new desk for my office and I'm thinking that I want to just use ply (probably 3/4 maple or walnut) and I wondered if I could make it 8 feet wide or not. I'm attaching an image of the design and would love feedback. My...
  12. rob.nester

Thank you Raymond! The piece in the center was a sample panel made to determine if my "design approval department", aka the wife, preferred bloodwood with hard maple, padouk with hard maple, padouk with soft maple, or bloodwood with soft maple... I think it'll become a trivette or something...
  13. rob.nester

Some of the reasons I chose that finish: I wanted a finish that imparted very little color on its own (meaning it didn't 'amber', etc) Could be applied with a brush (I currently don't have a spray setup) Could build a relatively (and I mean relatively) hard finish (I have a 3yr old and a...
  14. rob.nester

I used a water-based topcoat [1], about 7 or 8 coats brushed on, 320 between each coat. 320-400-800-1200-2000 on the last coat just for fun... [1] https://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-exterior-finishes/exterior-450-outdoor-finish
  15. rob.nester

Finally getting around to posting this. Any feedback / comments are welcome! see more here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2966
  16. IMG_39071

IMG_39071

Trestle table for my kitchen in maple and bloodwood
  17. IMG_3902

IMG_3902

18. IMG_3903

IMG_3903

19. IMG_39041

IMG_39041