Search results

1. pop-pop

Improved Saker honing guide

I have been seeing Facebook ads for an improved Saker honing guide and ordered one. It arrived today in black (red was the other option). I have been happy with the red one and rarely use my Veritas any more because there is no slippage concern. The improvements are a top clamp and a...
  2. pop-pop

Tenoning fixture query

I have a Delta tenoning fixture for my tablesaw and am not delighted with it. This fixture design from Woodsmith seems to solve the quibbles that I have with the Delta. Has anyone made this?
  3. pop-pop

Handyman block plane

Picked this up today at an estate sale because it felt good in my hand. No evidence that it had ever been sharpened. After a bit of flattening, honing, and polishing, it will take a nice shaving in side grain hard maple. Still makes dust with end grain SYP. No adjuster, but it is easily...
  4. pop-pop

Noisy 1” x 30” belt sander

Many of us have this sander in various colors. If yours is noisy, the idler bearing(s) grease may have dried up. An easy fix is to turn the sander so that the idlers are horizontal and put some oil in the recess like this and leave it overnight. The bearings are shielded (not sealed) and the...
  5. pop-pop

Project

At our NCWW lunch yesterday I was asked what project I was working on. I responded “at the moment, replacing a water filter” which drew a chuckle. I had to make a mounting bracket so there was at least a trivial bit of woodworking involved.
  6. pop-pop

Stamping set holder

Don’t remember how many times I have spilled these from their original holder and had to re-sort them. Maybe this will help. If it doesn’t then I’ll make something better.
  7. pop-pop

Hefty benchtop bench

Graham (@J_Graham) gave me an 18" Acme bench vise screw and requested that I use it to make something for someone. Several months back I posted about a wooden vise that I had used as a teen ( Antique wooden leg vise) where the chop tilt reaction was taken by the bottom of the benchtop...
  8. pop-pop

Handy tape measure

This $1 estate sale purchase has an action that I have long desired for one-handed measuring. As the tape extends, a ratchet automatically keeps it from retracting. The black button releases the ratchet when done. Both imperial and metric graduations is another nice feature.
  9. pop-pop

Strop

Saw this thin 3” x 9” leather while at Hobby Lobby yesterday and it made a nice strop using a scrap of BB.
  10. pop-pop

Sorby Turnmaster with TN tips ($40) - Raleigh (pending)

I bought this early on after watching a Sorby demo but ended up preferring conventional turning tools. Used very little. Complete with all four styles of Titanium Nitride tips.
  11. pop-pop

Sorby tenon sizer howto

I asked Santa for this and have learned how to tear out chunks of wood with it using a 3/8” Bedan both bevel up and bevel down. Looking at the geometry, it looks like this tenon sizer would be better behaved with a 3/8” beading tool. Any tips from tenon sizing tool users or have I answered my...
  12. pop-pop

Folding portable workbench - Midtown Raleigh (sold)

I made this portable workbench to take to workshops. Funny how workshops always seem to be one bench short. This workbench could be useful for an apartment dweller, craft show exhibitor, workshop attendee, meeting presenter, and much more. SYP top is 19” x 30” x 2”. Removable high vise and...
  13. pop-pop

Stopped groove plane experiment

I recently made a wooden grooving plane which works fine save for objects with exposed joinery such as box joints. The ends of the groove sometimes show like this: It is easy enough to make a stopped groove on a router table, but I wondered if I could solve this issue with wooden grooving...
  14. pop-pop

Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander ($140) - Midtown Raleigh (sold)

I need to replace this unique machine with a physically smaller one because it is too large for my small shop. Easily converts from an oscillating belt sander to oscillating spindle sander and back again. One extra 80 grit belt included. The sander attachment that is not currently in use...
  15. pop-pop

Measuring angles

I often measure angles using this protractor: Other times a Wixey or a bevel gauge. Seems like each one of them often has a serious limitation or flat out doesn’t work. Has anyone got say a universal angle measurer that works in most situations?
  16. pop-pop

Point tool from old screwdriver

Had an old #4 Phillips screwdriver that I wanted to make into a point tool. Someone else used used a flare nut to give the three registration surfaces for grinding and it worked perfectly. Turned away the old varnish and used friction polish for a new look.
  17. pop-pop

Grooving plane

I made this grooving plane recently, call me naive, but I did not anticipate how handy it was going to be. Need a groove for a tray/drawer bottom? Just clamp the stock, grab the grooving plane, and plane your groove in a matter of seconds. No measuring, machine setup, nor test cuts.
  18. pop-pop

Vinyl record holder for grandson

Made from 1/2” Baltic birch from Klingspor with box and butt joints. Shellac plus Waterlox. Holes are meant for lifting the box. Box joints cut on tablesaw like this with Freud box joint cutter set:
  19. pop-pop

Extra leverage for F-clamps

I have entered the second semester of being an octogenarian and my hands are slowly losing their grip. This is showing up in difficulty tightening and loosening these F-clamps. So I added some leverage with a hole drilled thru the handle for a 1/4” dia. brass tommy bar. Drilled the cross...
  20. pop-pop

Cheese board

Ed (@Dreuxgrad ), here is a project idea for you. Guessing walnut, maple, Corian, and bamboo?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors