Search results

1. arcwick08

Western North Carolina - listen up!

Yutyut, wife and I will be there. Probably for an hour or two, then my 2000 honeydo projects will require my attention....
  2. arcwick08

Alcohol Soaking

At the risk of speaking against a master - keeping the pith in any type of work is asking for cracking/movement issues, no matter the drying or sealing method. Like Jim said - the cracks in that photo are exactly where you'd expect them.
  3. arcwick08

Alcohol Soaking

Just thought of this; you might also try dipping the whole thing in latex paint. I know some people who keep a big 5gal bucket of cheap paint around to dip their turnings. Again, all to the end of slowing the moisture loss.
  4. arcwick08

Alcohol Soaking

Alcohol soaking... maybe I'm overly skeptikal on such matters, but I have never heard or read a really solid scientific explanation for why booze-soaking wood work for preventing cracking. That being said, plenty of people seem to swear by it. If it works like folks seem to think it does, I...
  5. arcwick08

lathe workstation

My midi lathe sits on one of the work bench unit thingers from Lowes. Faster was better than cheaper for me at the time. It's got drawers and everything already and is pretty sturdy for $200. Only thing I did was add a piece of 3/4" ply to the top to stiffen things up. No vibration problems...
  6. arcwick08

Homemade wax for many uses.

Turpentine and an open flame - what could go wrong! I've made a beeswax/mineral oil/coconut oil mixture in the past. Use it for cutting boards, kitchen turnings and lip balm. I like this mix as it's 150% food safe. It will obviously not flash off the way a thinner-based mix will though.
  7. arcwick08

Wood for wet enviroment

Locust is an amazingly durable wood for wet environments. The wood draws silica in from the soil as it grows. I've seen 100 year old locust fence posts sunk the the ground that are still holding strong.
  8. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

I was just thinking that what this thread needs are some accusations of ineptitude, eff-bombs and general discord and conversation regarding the excessive size and weight of somebody's mother. :-p I still need to run the condensation vs slab moisture test to know what I'm really dealing with...
  9. arcwick08

Major Bandsaw Upgrade

This was Phase 1, if you will, in my bandsaw upgrade. Theres a riser block kit out there that adds 6" (I believe) to the throat capacity. That's on the list :-)
  10. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

Would it be advisable to put a vapor barrier right against the concrete? I've seen folks do the Concrete->Poly->Sleepers->Poly->Subfloor sandwich order and always wondered about trapping the moisture against the slab like that.
  11. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

This, I guess, is really the crux of the question: Can these run-off channel equipped floating tile solutions (ocrx, amdry) be used in a basement with a small amount of non-pooling water forcing its way through the slab?
  12. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

It is a three-sides-in-the-ground walkout. The walkout is the side of the building, running parallel to the slope of the lot (which is significant)
  13. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

Yep, moved down from northern VT a few years back. If I went whole hog and dug for correct french drains and drainage around the foundation, would that be effective given the soil type? Again, that's how I'd deal with it up north, but I'm quickly learning that the area and soil change the game...
  14. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

Makes sense. If there is water forcing up through the slab are there any ways to remediate it internally (besides correcting the water drainage issues that are the root cause on the exterior)? I've always wondered if grinding the surface down to fresh clean concrete then using a heavy-duty epoxy...
  15. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

If I do find moisture coming through the slab, would these 'floating' vented tile type floors be a no go you think??
  16. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

Thanks DQ! I'll absolutely do the condesation test, good call. Assuming it returns good results, would you put the poly barrier right against the concrete with sleepers and air void on top?
  17. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

I hadn't really concidered any of the modular tile style systems.... Anybody used these? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amdry-2-09-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-OSB-Insulated-R7-Subfloor-Panel-AMD0150G/204395337 The Amdry panels are pre-insulated and vapor guarded.
  18. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

Sorry, poorly worded first line: The basement is long ago finished (30yo) I tend to write too conversationally... corrected above...
  19. arcwick08

Need a replacement caster - sources?

Re: Need a replacement caster - sources? Here's a pic I'd replace them all, if possible. Saves the pain of matching and harbor freight has some light-duty casters for very little cash...
  20. arcwick08

Basement Floor Framing

We're planning to convert our poured concrete basement to living space. There is some moisture, though never to the level of having standing water. We'd like to turn the space into finished living space (eventually, walls are a seperate topic) I've finished a couple basements in the past with...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors