Search results

1. timsparents

Recommendations on scroll saws?

Hi - For physical reasons, from now on I'll be doing far fewer large commissions, and am going to concentrate on doing a lot more marquetry. Currently I have a DeWalt DW788 (20", 13Amp) which I've used for five or six years for the marquetry that I have incorporated into pieces of furniture. I...
  2. timsparents

My "absence"

Dear fellow woodworkers - A few of you may have noticed that I have not posted anything on the site for about a month. I had surgery (for my ongoing back issues) early in January and am just now getting back into the swing of things. Hope to return to my shop for a short time this week, and to...
  3. timsparents

Poll - What do you do when you build something?

With every project/commission, once I know the general style and size of the piece, I use a fairly simple CAD program to do all my drawings. They are very detailed and accurate, with all the joints, clearances, and hardware clearly determined and defined. Any particularly complex area get's...
  4. timsparents

Charlotte Woodworkers Mtg, Tues 11/21

Yes - Tues, 11/21. I've made the correction. Thanks Pete Roger
  5. timsparents

Hi Rob - I'd be happy to share what I wrote about what I think "Heirloom" furniture involves. However, it is currently a "Word" document. If you give me your email address, I'd be happy to attach it to an email to you, and then you can convert it to pdf and upload it. I'd be honored, and I'd...
  6. timsparents

Hi everyone - Just wanted to let you know that Phil Ashley has asked me to be the speaker at the Charlotte Woodworkers Meeting, next Tues, Nov 21, at 6:30 PM. Held at the Well of Hope Lutheran Church, 6400 Old Reid Rd in Charlotte (near Southpark.) We decided that it might be an interesting...
  7. timsparents

Selling Products by ncwoodworker members.

Steve - I really like the idea, and would probably advertise on it. Over the course of my career as a woodworker, all my commissions have come from word of mouth. I have never advertised or promoted myself. However, that was not only because I seemed to get enough work to keep me busy without...
  8. Portico Inside

Portico Inside

Inside view of door unit. Small oval at top center is marquetry of a bunch or roses, shaded by scorching with hot sand. Elongated ovals top left and right are Italian tapestry
  9. Portico

Portico

Front door unit and portico. Made of solid mahogany, with solid brass hardware, beveled glass. House number is inlaid ebony. This is outside view.
  10. Marquetry Coat Of Arms

Marquetry Coat Of Arms

My first effort at marquetry. A coat of arms for the Draper family. They gave me an 8-1/2" x 11" picture. 114 pieces of veneer used. Overall size approx 18" x 24".
  11. Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest

"Treasure Chest" for special keepsakes. Made of Indian rosewood, with African silver oak edging. Heavy plated gold hinges and locking system. Marquetry of butterfly containing approx 96 pieces of veneer is glued to 1/4" substrate which is inlaid into the to of the box. Dims...
  12. Arch Table

Arch Table

"Arch Table", made of solid purpleheart with ebony accents. Each arch is made up of two bentwood laminations, 14 pieces, 1/8" thick, joined at the top center. The arches taper in two dimensions: from the front they taper from 2" wide at the top to 1" wide at the...
  13. School Display Cases

School Display Cases

Two large art display cases made of solid Honduran mahogany, with safety glass, dimmable halogen lights, adjustable glass shelves. Made for a local private school with an award winning art department. To go along with two large display cases, I made 3 smaller, stand alone cases. Paid for by...
  14. Executive Desk

Executive Desk

Executive desk, 6 ft x 3 ft. Top is sapele veneer, end panels are Carpatheian elm burl, drawers, drawer fronts, and doorts are mahogany. Borders of top and end panels contain ebony, English sycamore, flamewood, leopardwood, and sapele. Corner posts and hand carved drawer pulls are flamewood...
  15. Conference Table

Conference Table

Conference table for an engineering firm here in Charlotte. Dims: 12ft by 46". Top is both solid and veneer sapele, bordered by English sycamore, ebony, flamewood, and leopardwood. Pedestals are solid mahogany slats with accent posts of flamewood. Under table base is a 6" tall...
  16. Dining Table

Dining Table

Oval dining table, made from solid cocobolo. With two leaves installed, length is 9 ft. width is 46". Double pedestals. Apron is bent wood lamination to achieve the oval shape. Leaves have apron for continuous appearance.
  17. Crotch Mahogany Doors

Crotch Mahogany Doors

18. Ribbon Mahogany:  fabric backed; dimensions below

Ribbon Mahogany: fabric backed; dimensions below

19. Tiger oak: 2 ply, 1/16"; 2 @ 15" x 15"; 1 @ 6" x 96&quo

Tiger oak: 2 ply, 1/16"; 2 @ 15" x 15"; 1 @ 6" x 96&quo

20. Tiger oak: with mineral spirits

Tiger oak: with mineral spirits

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS