Search results

1. D

Built In bookshelves, dressers, Etc

To all, Some design advice and any "don't do that" would be helpful. So, I have a finished attic with 4' knee walls around 3 sides (the 4th wall is tall and leads to one exit, the full bathroom and a HVAC room). It's about 700+ square feet (lots of room). It was my daughter's suite before...
  2. D

Garage vacuum and compressed air question

To all, Just an idea and some feedback would be helpful. I have a garage (2 car and very spacious), which butts up against a wall that leads to a concrete floor huge crawlspace. I'm going to put in some garage cabinets and was thinking about putting in compressed air and a vacuum system...
  3. D

Dovetail Jig: Any opinions on the Porter Cable 4216 Super Jig?

To all, planning on some shop cabinets and looking for a dovetail jig that is both reasonable and does a good job. Looking at this (amazon link, I can't find this jig on the Porter Cable site)...
  4. D

Dumb question re: Tape measures in the shop

To all, Ok, complete beginner, newbie, idiot, etc. here. Question I have is the proper use of a tape measure. Example 1: Using the tape hooked over the end of a board to measure a set distance to mark and saw off. Example 2: Using the tape hook pressed against a wall corner then measuring...
  5. D

First router - primary use in table

To all, Looking for advice on my first router. Primary use would be for a router table (raised panel doors in my future). Seems like the porter cable is the most often cited router (bushings, mounts, etc.), when router lifts, bushings, dovetail jigs, etc are mentioned. Probably will buy a...
  6. D

Mounting upper cabinents via top and bottom recess

To all, Saw this on "This Old House", they mounted upper cabinets by screwing through the top and bottom recess (the 0.75 inch recess at the top and bottom of the cabinet). Just wanted to know if anyone has done this and whether it's a good idea? I assume if you pre-drill you won't split the...
  7. D

Pocket Screw Strength/Excuse to buy new toys

To all, I have a large concrete floor crawlspace that's in desperate need of some shelving to store items (holiday decorations, paint, etc, etc). I'm thinking of using 2x4s with pocket screws for structural connection and then simple 1/2 plywood shelves. So: Average height would be ~5 feet...
  8. D

Lower Cabinet Construction: Integrated or separate toe kick platform?

To all, When constructing furniture/kitchen grade lower cabinets, do you prefer to use full side panels and cut out the recess for the toe kick (e.g. the side panels are a full 34.5" tall), or do you create a 4" frame you set and level on the floor and then attach the boxes to? Just wondering...
  9. D

Miter and Table Saw Questions

To all, just purchased my first 'real' tool on getting into woodworking and have a few questions and a dumb one for my next purchase. Now, having been given a gift certificate, I went for the Ryobi 10" sliding compound miter saw and stand ($229 with good reviews and so far with what I've...
  10. D

New Grizzly Hybrid Saw (G0771)

To all, Just noticed Grizzly has a new Hybrid saw (the G0771). Wanted to know if anyone has seen any reviews or has an opinion on it yet. So far I like the price, size and it appears to be the perfect saw for my uses (hobbyist). After all the issues/lottery aspects I've heard on getting a...
  11. D

Cabinet Carcass Construction

To all, I'm going to start slow with my journey into woodworking (work is finally slowing down <or I am>) and one of the first things I'd like to build is of course the garage workshop. So, cabinet construction is something I'd like to focus on to start. Now, I've read about every book I can...
  12. D

Kitchen Cabinet Recommendations

To all, My daughter is in the process of buying her first house. She's found a nice starter town home inside the beltline and hopes to close and move in during the holidays. Now, while the house is going to need lots and lots of TLC over the years, she'd really love to have her kitchen...
  13. D

Time to dive in (an introduction)

To all, New member of the forum and soon to be (with any luck) woodworker in the Cary/RTP area. Currently a road warrior with one of the three lettered IT firms in the area so woodworking is going to be a hobby (as time permits) for now with the hope it becomes an addiction. Right now I'm in...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS