Search results

1. Thav

Ready to buy a 3D printer

The home extrusion kits and even the commercially available filament has gotten a lot better. Dimensional tolerance is super important for the filament because if your filament varies over the length of the spool, or is oval shaped so might end up with different feed rates as it turns a little...
  2. Thav

Ready to buy a 3D printer

Hi! I can't recommend Printrbot enough. Makerbot is definitely the pits. Form+1 is great for high detail prints, but the resin is awfully expensive (but again, the prints are gorgeous) http://printrbot.com/compare-printers/ The Simple Metal is a great starter (6"x6"x6" build volume). To print...
  3. Thav

Rdu cl - grizzly bandsaw (durham) $450 (15")

I can't figure this one out. Grizzly lists that bandsaw as $395 new, and I don't see much of anything this guy has done to justify the extra $50
  4. Thav

Checking out my grandfather's carpentry tools

Hank, I will probably take possession of all of it next time my parents drive down to NC, except for the No 4 and 5 planes at the top. Thanks for the information on the rabbet plane. Looks like there are a lot of model numbers I can search for for a suitable replacement blade. I'm sure the...
  5. Thav

Checking out my grandfather's carpentry tools

Visiting my parents and grandparents this week. My grandpa worked construction and still has some of his old tools. The Stanley is my grandpa's, the Sears is my dad's from the nineties. Both sharpened up really well. I brought a bunch of grits of sandpaper for that very purpose. Some bit...
  6. Egg beater style hand drill

Egg beater style hand drill

7. Bit braces and some adjustable bits

Bit braces and some adjustable bits

Definitely going to get one of these going
  8. ~60s Stanley No 5, 90s Sears No 4

~60s Stanley No 5, 90s Sears No 4

Sharpened up the irons and they cut great
  9. Stanley 191 Plane

Stanley 191 Plane

Missing the iron and a couple other pieces
  10. Thav

Raleigh Lunch Bunch meets this Friday

I'm up in NY for a wedding this week. Will catch you guys in October.
  11. Thav

Wood Bending Workshop- Raleigh - October 4

Are you planning in the morning or afternoon? I usually have to work around my son's nap schedule (1-3, I'm lucky it's still so long), but would love to attend. For some reason I'm guessing not brats for breakfast?
  12. Thav

Estatibles on 70 in Durham - Stanley Bailey No 27

Ken, I didn't end up picking it up, so it should still be there. I'm looking to get started with an iron sole instead of wood (probably a #4, a good starter, right?). This one was in very good condition I think. No rust, well taken care of. It was so tempting to get it just for the cap. My only...
  13. Thav

Estatibles on 70 in Durham - Stanley Bailey No 27

$30. Looks like it's in much better shape than the ones I'm seeing on ebay for $10-$20. Bevel was nicely polished. I probably didn't get all the photos I should have, but here's what I got. I think I can make out the patent number to be 6912, but that seems awfully short.There were also two...
  14. Stanley Bailey No 27

Stanley Bailey No 27

Stanley Bailey No 27 plane found at Estatibles in Durham, NC
  15. Stanley Bailey No 27

Stanley Bailey No 27

16. Stanley Bailey No 27

Stanley Bailey No 27

17. Thav

Great meeting you guys. It's easy to find answers to questions you didn't know you had when you get to chat in person. Going to take Zach's suggestion and look into some Cypress for my future bat house. Wouldn't have know to ask for alternatives!
  18. Thav

I will try to stop in, but won't have time to eat, have to pick up at daycare by 1. Look forward to meeting some of you.
  19. Thav

3rd attempt at hand cut dovetails

Most people have probably seen this, but this is the reference I have used for electrolysis rust removal. I used a car battery charger, galvanised fence wire, rebar and washing soda. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm
  20. Thav

LaserSaber Hilt blanks

I found what I expect to be the same flashlight as the Harbor Freight ones on AliExpress http://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-LED-Mini-Flash-Ultra-Bright-light-Torch-Black-H1E1/1323906164.html Cost with shipping on quantity $100 ends up costing more than getting it at Harbor Freight, and it doesn't...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors