Search results

1. creasman

Federal Card Table -- Finished Pictures

It's hammer veneered. I have a vacuum bag, but trying to learn the "old ways". Regarding the inlay a lot (most) of the period examples I studied only have the inlay on the front and side of the legs that would be visible. It's not usually found on the back side, but somehow this just didn't...
  2. creasman

I first glued up the substrate from the pine. After that I sawed the curve on the band saw leaving just a hint of the line. The hammer veneer requires the surface to be pretty flat for a good application. In this case I was making sure the curve flowed continuously and was flat across the...
  3. creasman

I first glued up the substrate from the pine. After that I sawed the curve on the band saw leaving just a hint of the line. The hammer veneer requires the surface to be pretty flat for a good application. In this case I was making sure the curve flowed continuously and was flat across the...
  4. creasman

Moving inside...

That's a nice space. I like all the natural lighting you have.
  5. creasman

Thanks for all the generous comments. I realized after the post that I should have provided a bit more description -- especially to a group of fellow woodworkers! The table top and legs are cherry. The aprons are veneered with sections of figured walnut. The cockbeading that runs around the...
  6. creasman

I finally finished the Federal-style card table I've been working on for some time. This has been a fascinating journey. Learned a lot of new skills and made/acquired several new tools along the way. I've posted a couple of times when it was still a work in progress. Here is the finished table.
  7. creasman

Craft Center Update

Nice space!
  8. creasman

HELICAL VS: SPIRAL CUTTER HEAD

I definitely see the advantage of the angled cutters. I often skew a hand plane to get a smoother cut. For those that own the Byrd cutter replacement head are these angled or straight?
  9. creasman

Freud Carbide Tipped Router Bits, Door System for sale -- $80

I'm selling a set of Freud router bits for making raised panel doors. They are in very good condition. I live in the Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area. Please PM if interested.
  10. creasman

FS: 30" jointer

That thing would scare me in operation, but I can see its usefulness at times. Have you thought about contacting the owner at Raleigh Reclaimed (https://raleighreclaimed.com/pages/contact)? We toured their site at the Raleigh Shop Crawl this past year. The owner purchases equipment like this...
  11. creasman

New Member Cary, NC

Welcome!
  12. creasman

Slab Top Workbench

I used hickory as the principal wood for my bench top. It's a good choice. The top is 3" thick and composed of laminated 1" x 3" boards. The only caution is hickory can be stringy and tear out when planing. Go slow and skew the plane when flattening. Otherwise, it makes a heavy, rock solid top.
  13. creasman

Do you use spring joints for large panel glue ups?

Testimonial. I've glued up a lot of panels over the years. My usual method is to run both edges across my 6" jointer and then place a clamp every 8-10 inches. I make sure I'm doing this on a flat table, alternate the clamps (over and under), and leave it in the clamps overnight. I have a...
  14. creasman

RDU Lunch this Friday - Feb 21

I plan to attend.
  15. creasman

Spring joint video

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I'm about to glue up a table top and will give this method a try.
  16. creasman

Measuring for even spaces:

I couldn't agree more! Working with pencil and paper slows me down, forces me to think through what I'm about to draw and is just more relaxing. After 8 hours in front of a screen I'm done with computers for the day. Not knocking those who do use CAD programs... they're great. Just not my...
  17. creasman

Another plug cutter question, smaller sizes?

Sounds like the voice of experience talking. I'm always amazed at how far little round objects can travel across my shop floor with only a gravity assist!
  18. creasman

The tapered plugs could be a bit of a challenge to make without specialized equipment. For some of the uses you describe (passing through a thin piece) I don't believe you want a tapered plug. Even though I was using 1/8" thick stock mine would probably cut a plug that was up to the length of...
  19. creasman

I needed some small plug cutters to make the dew drops for a series of bell flows that run down the leg of a table. These are small circular inlays that progressively decrease in diameter (5/32", 1/8" and 3/32"). I first tried making these "dots" with a small carving gouge (didn't like the...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS