Search results

1. tarheelz

Outdoor Cabinets - what materials?

Rick, We used HD kitchen cabinets inside our Lake Gaston boathouse. They went in in 2002 and were still there in 2019 when the place was sold. Spiders had more of an effect on them than the elements.
  2. tarheelz

Face frame wood

SYP clear, appearance boards from the borg would work well and and look pretty darn good. Problem is they are pricey for pine.
  3. tarheelz

White cabinet doors.

Looks like Wurth and A&M are business-to-business suppliers only. Regular 3/4" MDF from HD may be my best bet for the false fronts on the new set of base cabinets I'm adding to the kitchen. I've used spackle and AquaCoat before (with plywood edges and walnut furniture respectively). I'll...
  4. tarheelz

White cabinet doors.

The painted white cabinets in our house were built by a local guy in 2002. They are 3/4 and 1/2 plywood throughout with maple face frames. The doors and drawer faces, however, are MDF. 18 years later and they're still perfect. (Paint is oil based.) EDIT: Anyone know where a regular joe can...
  5. tarheelz

Gluing in an unheated shop

WRT the issue of Titebond being ruined after freezing, I received some practical "unofficial" advice from the rep at a show once: "Freezing can affect our glue. Here's the test: Take off the cap so you can really see the glue. Get the glue back up to room temperature. Tilt the bottle. If...
  6. tarheelz

Upcoming Estate Auction

Do tell. Let us live vicariously through you. Sad I missed it.
  7. tarheelz

Video-Stupid Easy Floating Shelves 2 ways

Support under the board being cut on the sawhorse! (Why have I never done that?)
  8. tarheelz

Glue-Up "Accident"

You made the right choice. Well done under pressure (literally). There is little as stressful in life as the "big glue-up." I feel bad for any loved one who just happens to pop into the shop during a glue-up. ;)
  9. tarheelz

Drawer Slide Length

That does make sense. Awesome. Oddly, this is the first time I'm finding slides for a drawer, rather than drawers for the slides (ie slide length plus one inch gives you drawer depth to build). Thank you, my friend.
  10. tarheelz

Drawer Slide Length

I'm planning on replacing the worn, noisy epoxy drawer slides in my kitchen with K&V side-mount, self-close slides (8400 Series). The drawer boxes are 21 7/8" deep measured from the back of the overlay fronts. The distance from the face of the cabinet frame to the board upon which the builder...
  11. tarheelz

Shop countertop

Whenever your shop counter-top looks as good as the "Farmhouse Table" being offered for $1,200 on Craigslist, you're doing a good job.
  12. tarheelz

Plastic connectors for electrical

Let's hope Richo heeded the advice here. It will be an unwelcome surprise when he goes to sell (or his heirs do).
  13. tarheelz

What happens when we are gone?

While I build furniture for myself, the quality furniture in my grandfather's home was conveyed with the home when we sold it after his passing. I am hopeful the buyers kept it but it may very well have ended up as firewood. I tell myself it's ok. The scarcity of old, quality furniture is...
  14. tarheelz

Another plug cutter question, smaller sizes?

Pictures! We need to see this. Very cool.
  15. tarheelz

Girl/Boy Scouts Woodworking

I like the wood crafts idea. Picture frames seem to be able simple perfection, rather than woodworking creativity.
  16. tarheelz

Helmsman disaster

Seems every varnish I've used adds a yellow/tan cast.
  17. tarheelz

Latest Harpsichords

Well, I made some cutting boards...
  18. tarheelz

The passing of Charles Neil (Dec 21, 2019)

I did not see anything posted here as yet but figured others would be as shocked by the news as I was. His instructions were recommended to me when I first took up woodworking. I appreciated his no nonsense approach and his comfortable talent. RIP. His family appears to have started a...
  19. tarheelz

For sale box jig $160

Missed it. :(
  20. tarheelz

This Old House - Insider with NYW and Norm

Do you own a biscuit joiner?

Our Sponsors