Search results

1. T

RECEIVED: 35mm SLR MANUAL camera for college kid

as a photographer and a woodworker - you ever make a wood VC, maybe something along the lines of a Deardorf?- or any manufacturer, for that matter. Have noticed on youtube that the younger generation is "rediscovering" and embracing both medium and large format. The RB Pro, boat anchor, seems...
  2. T

cutting board finish

How long might a "wood bowl" finish last? Say, I made a salad bowl. It's gonna have vinegar and dressing in it. Also, what's best way to clean a wood bowl, that will prevent bacteria. Use a bleach solution, the way cutting boards are cleaned?
  3. T

rusty blades

how rusty is too, rusty? I've about a dozen blades that fit my Parks Century BS [that's still looking for a buyer] & I thought I'd include them. The sides that were facing the tires are relatively rust-free. But the outer sides have surface rust. ..but, no deep pitting. The teeth are clean...
  4. T

cutting board finish

partly bc I like glossy & also, glossy, [objects] tend to sell better.
  5. T

State of the Site(s) message

as a suggestion, would be for someone [not me!] to do a how-to article or video on how to better photograph their builds. I realize many shoot photos with smartphones, but the camera isn't at fault. It's generally the more common and fixable problems: glare, dark shadows, bad color, cluttered...
  6. T

Wood species for outdoor bench

The reason I asked is bc I've been making beehive supers from ERC. I like the red heartwood & would like to keep it from fading to grey as long as possible. I feel the cedar's known, moth resistant properties are a better ( & environmentaly safer ) deterrent to wax moths, then the introduction...
  7. T

Gluing in an unheated shop

It's snowing outside! But it's a wet snow and only 38F out. I can hear rain hitting the gutters. So, referencing Mark's comment about humidity.. Does anyone here use the foaming glues that require mating surfaces to be damped before clamping? With snow coming down, am figuring outside humidity...
  8. T

in reference to mark's comment about high heat. Is it possible to shorten a glue-up time by placing in oven [under low heat]? Or even microwaving? I've microwaved plywood to soften the glue [bend it the plies] and the glue bond always held after cooling. But am asking about titebond or maybe...
  9. T

cutting board finish

is there any way to get a glossy finish for an end grain cutting board? Now, for cheese/bread boards - that aren't endgrain - any safe, glossy finishes?
  10. T

Wood species for outdoor bench

what's better for a long-lasting, but clear, outdoor finish: water-based or oil-based?...over southern red cedar.
  11. T

Is titebond still good to use after it's been frozen? I usually put those bottles aside; I don't want to risk a bad glue-up. But if glue is still good...
  12. T

OOPS! ...my bad, and apologies to Dalmatian photo lab. It was the "ppi" that threw me. I incorrectly made the jump from their use of inkjet to gelatin. The Lambda printer they use is a laser printer and not inkjet. and while they do indeed use inkjets had I looked further down their process...
  13. T

Back in '90? "91? I pestered my lab manager into buying a computer, 2 months after I'd bought one. In no time at all, he'd run all sorts of stuff thru his home printer - 2 C what he could print on. We were running a lot of Agfa RC b/w paper thru the printers & roller transport processors. He ran...
  14. T

looked at camcor website. just seem to carry color neg film. Went there 4? yrs ago; took such a long time to find their film display, wondered if they were embarrassed at having any film [just a few rolls] to sell at all. On the upside, website shows color print chemistry available. The only...
  15. T

Need some simple toy ideas for kids

Since you're using scraps, I'd suggest jigsaw puzzles for the older kids. And make small wood boxes to store them in. That way the kids could bring the puzzles on family outings. (I did that for my niece [once upon a time]). But would also suggest cutting with bandsaw to get pieces too large...
  16. T

Hey all...can anyone recommend a NC store that carries a well stocked variety of fresh B/W 120 roll film and/or 4x5 sheet film - at reasonable prices. Partial to ASA 100 - 160. Would also consider any, out of state, store that isn't more than a 2 hr drive from greensboro. NOT interested in...
  17. T

Wanted - 12" or larger bandsaw

OK, I'll bite. How big is too big and what would he consider reasonable? My 30" Parks is still available. Motor [belt drive] is easy enuff to swap out. I'm about 30 mi. east of HP main library.
  18. T

Sawmill vs. Portable mill

oh,...least i ferget. Wavy lumber. bandmill blades get dull - fast. need to be changed out often. more so if hardwood. and how dirty your logs as far as minimums.. yeah, number of logs. also, dia. of logs: too big to fit the mill [which you can talk about beforehand]. too small - under 8"...
  19. T

Sawmill vs. Portable mill

I agree,....25 BDF is a good deal...my brother and I typically charge .35bdf [hardwood]. On the other hand... Most portable mill operators charge a setup fee for going out to your place. Typically $50, depending on distance. If a blade breaks, you'll get charged for it, which could run you...
  20. T

Need use of 15" planer....

where are you located?

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS