Search results

1. Dorm

Free project table saw ... come and get it

I have an early 70’s vintage Craftsman 12” tablesaw that if someone wants it ... come and get it. It was my dads saw and I’ve had it a few years and it always worked well. Recently the bearings went out in the motor and I’ve tried to replace them and reassemble the motor with no success. For...
  2. Dorm

Tenoning jig miter slot fitment

Well ... I had the same issue with my 70's vintage saw. I simply ripped a piece of hard maple and slowly ran it over the jointer -1/64" at a time until the fit was snug. I applied some paste wax to the sides and it's worked well for several years.
  3. Dorm

If you just gave up?

I certainly wasn't alluding to "getting shot" with my "no going back" comment. Rather, I had in mind Cortez burning his ships when he reached the new world - and that action motivated them to move on to other things. To me, the turning point is where I no longer have the 'passion' for it ...
  4. Dorm

If you just gave up?

I'd go all the way ... power tools, planer, mortising, et al - INCLUDING the shop. As Sean Connery said in 'Red October' ... "there will be no going back!"
  5. Dorm

Electric motor repair shop needed

Thanks ... and I got bearings from the Fastenal store in Clayton
  6. Dorm

So, as it turns out, this has only lasted for a few weeks as the bearings actually went out last week. I've pulled the motor apart; disassembled it pulled the bearings. I'm looking to find (inches) replacement bearings locally ... Hoover 99203-625. One thing - I cannot find the parts or info...
  7. Dorm

Thanks to all for your help and responses. I did talk with 'Tom' at Williams and based on their workload, it'd likely be a while before they could take a look at it. In the meantime, I pulled the motor and took off the sidecover to see if dust might be the culprit. Sure enough, the box with...
  8. Dorm

Thanks guys ... aside from the sentimental value of the saw, the table saw is the workhorse of any small shop, so I need to get this back in the road.
  9. Dorm

I've been using my dad's vintage Sears Direct Drive 12" Commercial Table Saw for some time now but I'm having issues with the motor. I need to pull the motor and take it to a repair shop for a look-see. The issues appear to be either bad bearings or possibly a bent rotor shaft. If someone...
  10. Dorm

White Portland Cement

Anyone know where I can buy the White Portland cement in the Raleigh-Clayton area. The only store I've found is Capital City Lumber - they show on their web page as having it, so I'll give these a call. It's just a bit of a drive for me being down towards the Benson area. And yes ... I've...
  11. Dorm

Feedback please on planer selection

So the Delta benchtop planer my wife bought me 10 years ago pretty much died yesterday. I knew it was on borrowed time, so I've been waiting and looking at new ones. I'm considering the Rigid R4331 and DeWalt 734 models and would appreciate your recommendations on which to purchase. Ciao ... Dorm
  12. Dorm

Shop build advice

Yep ... the pole barn suited me as to one-man construction and the style as well. I used mostly rough sawn lumber for the board-batten siding, doors and trim. And using this type material just didn't seem to fit with the stud wall construction. Ciao ... Dorm
  13. Dorm

Maloof design ... arms to leg joint

Ok - thanks. I'm definitely in the mode to use power/air tools; carbide burrs and Kutzall for shaping the seat :)
  14. Dorm

Shop build advice

EY ... about 4 years ago, I built a 24' x 24' pole barn. I contracted out pouring/finishing the concrete slab and installing the metal on the roof. I had some friends over one Saturday to help set the trusses (beer afterwards :)) and other than those instances, I did the work by myself. Wall...
  15. Dorm

Cyclo ... perfect response - just what I was looking for. This project will be a huge challenge for me, so I have another question on the seat. I've seen ones drill depth holes to help with contouring the seat. So any suggestions to help lay these out is much appreciated ... spacing, depth...
  16. Dorm

An idea I have for a future project is an outside bench seat out of white oak material. I want to incorporate some of Sam Maloof's design with this and it looks to me that Sam's joint between arms and legs is purely a glue joint, as in no doweling, screws or other. Is this the case with this...
  17. Dorm

GF Outdoor oil ... sticky second coat

Jeff, I have not had good results with outdoor items ... in particular the finish. Things I've made either start to mold, mildew and/or the finish deteriorates (sunlight) rather quickly. I believe I chose this GF outdoor off the recommendation from the Klingspor shop in Cary. It includes...
  18. Dorm

Thanks Jeff, and yes I did wipe it down prior to the second coat. I used a clean rag with just a touch of mineral spirits (you could barely smell) to simply wipe off any dust or lint. After your comment, I recall from yesterday how the wood 'oozed' the oil as I had to wipe the thing 3-4 times...
  19. Dorm

Hi all and happy new year! On Monday I applied a coat of General Finishes Outdoor (oil) to a project and per instructions on the can, allowed it to dry 10-15 minutes and wiped off any excess with a clean cloth. It has been humid, so I allowed 2 days to dry before applying a second coat...
  20. Dorm

Concrete Top Sealer

I'm building an Egg Grill station for my son in law and using a concrete top ... roughly 2" x 26" x 5'. Does anyone have experience or a recommendation on a sealer for the concrete top? The grill will stay outside, under a porch, but still open to the elements ... sun, cold, heat, rain...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS