Search results

1. T

rusty blades

how rusty is too, rusty? I've about a dozen blades that fit my Parks Century BS [that's still looking for a buyer] & I thought I'd include them. The sides that were facing the tires are relatively rust-free. But the outer sides have surface rust. ..but, no deep pitting. The teeth are clean...
  2. T

cutting board finish

is there any way to get a glossy finish for an end grain cutting board? Now, for cheese/bread boards - that aren't endgrain - any safe, glossy finishes?
  3. T

setting teeth

Anyone have a favorite DIY jig for setting bandsaw teeth? ...And how to put one together. The ones over on youtube are geared more for portable sawmills.
  4. T

bandsaw HP

how much HP is too much for a bandsaw? My 30" bandsaw currently has a 3PH 1.5HP motor on it and has been sufficient for most tasks. but doing big cuts or resawing for "veneer" slows the pace down a bit. I have a 10 HP motor, [somewhere's about], and want to know if it would it be safe to use...
  5. T

3PH question

noob question, here. I've read that electric motors have more torque than a GAS engine of similar HP, so am wondering if something similar exits between electric motors [e.g. 3 phase 1.5HP vs single phase 1.5 HP]? Does the 3PH pull stronger?
  6. T

soldered blades?

how well do broken bandsaw blades hold up after being soldered back together? Also, is there a particular type of solder best used to give better flex (as blade travels around wheel)?
  7. T

scroll bandsaw

does anyone manufacture a bandsaw blade that can give the tight curves that a scrollsaw can? I am wanting to get back into making jigsaw puzzles [for xmas gifts] and i find using a scrollsaw to be tedious. Plus, I've never had much luck cutting several layers at a time.
  8. T

FS: 30" Bandsaw

unknown ID. no badges anywhere.......best guess - "Crescent". sheet metal not original. Base modified by a previous owner. Needs new rubber tires. Motor = 1.5 HP 3Ph. 11" rise. 28" throat asking.......................................$900. obo last used 3 yrs ago. can help load...
  9. T

planer parts

I've a Vance planer mill #6?, made out of Winston-Salem. It's babbitt bearing with zerks; we've been pumping grease into its bearings for years. So far no problems. We've got it rigged to run off our tractor's PTO. If I ever needed replacement parts, where might I find some.
  10. T

found 16" jointer at auction

hey all,...and, maybe Kyle....cmboggs... spotted a 16" rockwell RJ-42 jointer out of Indiana on publicsurplus.com description states condition as: Good coming out of a school, probably been well taken care of. bidding ends in about a day and a half.
  11. T

A different kind of crawl

Today I had a chance to see a variety shops on the Triad Crawl. Wasn't able to see as many as I would have liked. Got lost one time [completely my own fault - Jeremy did a great job mapping routes out]. The last was interesting; would never have thought of an "upstairs" workshop. You make do...
  12. T

babbitt bearings?

hopefully this is right forum for this question. Is it really necessary to repour babbitt bearings in a machine that hasn't been used in 20+? yrs? I have a Yates C3a moulder that I'd like to refurbish....or sell [at some point]. Most of the cutting heads won't turn. Is there any way to free...
  13. T

loking for air casters / bearings

anyone ever use these things to move equipment? I'd like to find a company [preferably in Piedmont] that rents them out for a day/hourly. Had thought to try and find an electric pallet jack, but this would only work if machine is all ready on pallet. Air bearings seem a better fit for a small shop.
  14. T

It's HOT outside.

Am curious how others have been keeping their workshops cool last couple of weeks. Mine feels more like a solar kiln; it's even hot in the evenings. Not so bad in early morning. Been thinking of cobbling together a swamp cooler. Figure it won't put any more moisture inside, than when I run the...
  15. T

looking for multi-ply plywood

Looking for a source of aircraft grade plywood on East coast [preferably in NC] 4 mm - 5 mm thickness w/ 8 - 12 plies. The Hardwood store (gibsonville) sells 6 mm baltic birch in 5x5 sheets, but most sheets are 5 plies. Am not familiar w/the marine plywood they sell. Has anyone had...
  16. T

sourcing bandsaw tires

I've a Wadkins Bursgreen bandsaw in need of set of tires for 36" x 2" wheels. Looking for anyplace local to the triad. But willing to drive a bit further if necessary.
  17. T

stacking qs oak

In addition to tools, I inherited stacks of oak and walnut, which I'd like to sell. The stuff has been drying over 8 yrs. 5/4 and 6/4 & 8' long mostly. Some of the walnut is 8/4 and over 12' long. However, my question is: For those who sell lumber, do you stack the QS separately?,...or put...
  18. T

where / how best to sell tools?

been having trouble posting, so if there's a duplicate of this...apologies... I inherited some shop tools from father and am looking at best way to sell, as I need the space. Other than here, how do ebay and craigslist stack up. Or are there better sites? also, how secure and safe is paypal? If...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS