Search results

1. old-delta

ISO Planer

I've had the Dewalt 735 for 5 years now. It has done a good job so far. I did upgrade it to the helical head 3 years ago. Makes a world of difference on Maple and Oak.
  2. old-delta

Shop Vac - resuscitate before death?

I have a ShopVac I bought in 2001. It's been through everything and still works great. The hose is actually deteriorating it's so old. I agree with Henry, the repair cost is cost prohibitive to a new. If you find a ShopVac on sale that may be a good choice. I'd go with the steel canister vs...
  3. old-delta

Dust collection idea... is this just plain stupid?

Just my 2cents here. I would avoid getting the fines in any confined or partially confined space. If anyone remember the West Pharmaceutical explosion in Clayton a few years, that was from fines above a drop ceiling in an enclosed area. Small static spark and it took down a 70,000 sf structure...
  4. old-delta

Northfield 32 BS Before and almost After

I put carters on 3 saws I restored. They are great for the money. I just sold an 18" Delta BS with carters. Awesome job on that restore sir. Looks brand new.
  5. old-delta

Repairs on DW635 planer

That's interesting with the glue line chipping the cutters. Never encountered that. I did have a couple traditional knives chip. Two reasons I opted for the larger head is, it's a tiny bit quieter, matches the original RPM's and most importantly (to me) is it maintains the same cut depth. Unless...
  6. old-delta

Repairs on DW635 planer

Dan, did you use the smaller diameter one or the original size one? I’ve been thinking about a replacement shelix head but have not quite been willing to spend the money yet.[/QUOTE I upgraded my 735 with the Shelix, I opted not to go with the smaller. you'll need to remove and reinstall the...
  7. old-delta

Old DeWalt RAS question

Re: Old DeWalt Radial arm saw question back in the day I used a RAS all the time. I never experienced any kickback whatsoever. Since on a RAS the blade is spinning away from you verses a TS toward you thus the concern for kickback. Also kickback usually happens when the material is between...
  8. old-delta

Grizzly G0803 9" Benchtop Bandsaw

I'm in the market again for a bandsaw. Opinions on brands? I had a 20" Jet a few years ago I got at a real steal on however I sold it. I wish I had kept it now as these saws are crazy expensive now. I probably wouldn't go any smaller than a 14" given the versatility. I've had experience with...
  9. old-delta

Dewalt DW735 Helical upgrade

I wouldn't be concerned with the knife spitting. Mine was caused by me. I didn't recheck for seating and tightness. If you pay attention it's easy and in my opinion worth it. If you do go this route be sure to wear thick gloves or buy stock in Band-Aid :gar-La;
  10. old-delta

Mike, I changed mine without any issues. It's really simple. The new head comes with everything needed including new bearings which are also a bit better quality than the original. Remember, if you opt for the smaller head you won't have to remove and reinstall knives. It just slides right in...
  11. old-delta

I've had my Dw735 now three years. Changed the knives four times. I finally upgraded to the Byrd helical head. What a huge difference! Quieter and much better finish. Not to mention there's no tearout. A while back there was a thread on this topic and most cringed at the cost of the helical. I...
  12. old-delta

OMG - Captial City Lumber

Hardwood Store is very reasonable in my opinion. I've traded with them for years and have never been disappointed with price or material quality.
  13. old-delta

4' Round Dining table

The Wenge-wood is from the Hardwood Store. Pedestal I'll turn (borrowing a lathe) I'll cut some feet on the saw. She wanted the pedestal white to contrast the top. I am using solid on the top for couple reasons. One-she wants solid. Two-if she ever needs to refinish top she can without ever...
  14. old-delta

4' Round Dining table

Thanks for the suggestions on the table project. I'm going to make the top from Wenge-wood and do a round pedestal. Top will be natural, pedestal white made of soft maple (to keep cost down), matching top inlays on the on the base feet. It'll be a while but I'll post a picture or two when...
  15. old-delta

Powermatic lathe

Powermatic 3520B lathe never been used. Opinions on what's the maximum should I pay? O accessories except what came when new. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  16. old-delta

4' Round Dining table

I would like some advice or direction on building a 4' round dining pedestal table. The wood of choice my daughter wants is Wenge Wood. Would you do a Wenge veneer or solid? I suggested to her to make the pedestal out of a cheaper species since she may want to paint it and have the top natural...
  17. old-delta

Craftsman 22116 Granite Tablesaw

When I set up my new PM 1-3/4 HP 110V it lagged ripping a dry 2X4. Also it was slow starting compared to 220V. Ran same 2X4 again and it didn't grunt one bit. You will see very noticeable difference in power. Obviously runs cooler.
  18. old-delta

Rikon 10-320 Bandsaw - good, bad, ugly?

William I have had this saw and the 18". It's a good built saw. That is a pretty good price but I too would make lower offer. Some don't like the blade guide adjustments but like any bandsaw it's all in what you get use to. I'd likely snatch it up. Won't be hard to resell if you upgrade to...
  19. old-delta

Dewalt Shelix

Today I upgraded my 735 to the Shelix OEM head. Completely new machine IMHO. two head size options. I went with the OEM size although I did have to remove all the cutters but that's okay. It's 8db quieter and no clogging in the blower housing. Well worth the expense. It does fabulous on curly...
  20. old-delta

anybody have a cutech "spiral" head planer?

Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of using the smaller (for ease of install) Helix head for the DW735 VS the OEM size? I've had the 735 for four years and want to convert. I'm done with changing the disposable knives.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS