Search results

1. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Linc, interesting solution -- I'll remember that. Thanks.
  2. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Joe, thanks very much for the tips. You are giving me good specifics to work with. Trial and error is a good teacher, but with the added complexity, time and cost of the metal cutting, it is good to have some specific recommendations, and not have to do so much guessing. That was a good reminder...
  3. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Cyclo -- Thanks for that advice. Most of my metal work has been free-standing in the past, and it is good to see how you would do the inlay and finish. Very helpful.
  4. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Linc, that is very useful, thanks. Is the coin secured by the fit, or some other way? What is the scheme you use to be able to change the coin?
  5. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Yes, Dan, I think I will try that. I was concerned about finishing, wondering about sanding two different types of materials. I think I'll just have to polish the brass, then make sure that the finish fit is close enough that the box doesn't require much sanding.
  6. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Thanks -- yes, I think that's the right approach.
  7. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

Thanks, Jim, good advice.
  8. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

After I posted the question about inlaying metal into wood, it occurred to me that if the metal object was round, I could just get the forstner bit out and drill a shallow hole for the medallion to sit in. But then -- what if the edges were irregular? Seems like a different question as to how to...
  9. C

Inlaying Metal into Wood

I have been making small brass medallions for a while now, on the CNC machine, for use as pendants (see attached photo.) I have never tried inlay of any kind (probably be more sensible to try wood on wood first, but, well, sometimes compulsive behavior gets in the way of common sense.) Anyway, I...
  10. C

ROCKLER THIN RIP TABLESAW JIG, #36833 ( SOLD)

Thanks, Mike - funds received. Just let me know what you want to do.
  11. C

ROCKLER THIN RIP TABLESAW JIG, #36833 ( SOLD)

ROCKLER THIN RIP TABLESAW JIG, #36833 Condition: new, never used. Rockler price, $35. Price to you $15.
  12. C

Doing A Little Metal Cutting As Well

Daniel & Michael, I've been using flat C360 brass stock, 1/8 thick, 2inches wide by 1 foot long. If you do an Ebay search like this: 2 pieces 1/8" x 2" c360 brass flat bar 12" long solid .125" plate mill stock h02 You should find the guy I have been buying from. He is reliable and fast, and the...
  13. C

The standard cutter on the X-Carve is the DeWalt 611 router. The speed range on that unit is 16,000 to 27,000 rpm, which is too fast for most projects. So everybody you ask with that equipment just says "I leave it on setting 1." So, even though it is fast, using the 611 at 16,000 rpm usually...
  14. C

Hi Joe. Sure -- I started with the same end mills that I had used for wood -- 2, 3 and 4 flute. What I found was that in metal, no matter what the depth, feed rate and stepover, the multi-fluted bits would cut, but they all made the metal so hot that the super glue I was using on blue tape to...
  15. C

Casey, thanks for your comments. I think the Faire-Goers today haven't changed much. My sister says that heraldic and Celtic stuff is still in demand, and that people go to the Faires with money in their pockets, and look for anything that is different -- so that's what I'm trying to provide.
  16. C

Small Wooden Boxes

Some nice CNC work you guys have been coming up with. I have been experimenting with fancy woods, images and shapes as well. One of my favorites is a series of boxes I made for my sister to sell in her booth at the Indiana Renaissance Faire. I call them "Hexadecagon in Padauk." They offer...
  17. C

It seems a little heretical to share some experience with cutting metal on my favorite woodworking site, but the skills overlap, and maybe others have been branching out as well. After a good experience making small wooden boxes to sell at a Renaissance Faire, I decided to try to make some...
  18. C

Any Luck With Less Expensive End Mills?

Mark, thanks for your comments and advice. I think you're right. I'll check out drillman1, and see if perhaps 1/8" shanks are the way to go.
  19. C

Thanks, Rick. I've done most of my stuff with 1/4 inch shank before, but I've got reduction sleeves, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe that's what I should be looking for, as a way to reduce cost? I've tried to cut copper before, and yes, the characteristics are different. It was much harder...
  20. C

Rick, thanks -- good info. I've been using ToolsToday for the Amana stuff. Have you had good luck with any other sellers? Thanks again.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS