Search results

1. tdotrob

Vacuum pump A/B manifold - good or bad idea?

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Each chamber comes with it's own valve and hose. The problem I'm solving is that the pump accepts only one hose at a time. So, yes, attaching an A/B manifold to the pump pretty much boils down to putting a valve on each line, it's just that they are combined into a...
  2. tdotrob

That's the main thing warned about in the manuals, videos, etc. "Never expose the pump to vacuum when it isn't running." With two chambers there's more opportunity to muck it up while one of them is under vacuum and the operator is focusing on the one that isn't. So why am I worried this about...
  3. tdotrob

I am currently running two vacuum chambers in parallel. One is stabilizing some burl and the other is drying half a log. Every time I switch from pulling vacuum on one chamber to the other, I swap hoses at the pump. So I thought, why not buy or make an A/B manifold? It would be a 1/4 female...
  4. tdotrob

YAWI - Yet Another Wood ID

Thanks guys! No guess as to leaves though. This came to me as-is and no other branches or logs to look at. But good to know what I'm dealing with. Now I'm going to wish I had a coring rig. ;-)
  5. tdotrob

YAWI - Yet Another Wood ID

Anyone know what this is? I plan to split it and make some bowls either way but it'd be nice to know what it is I'm working with.
  6. tdotrob

Good save or too weird?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to take the advice and keep it. Well, the fingers grip at the knurled tip and the part that rests on my hand is above the concave section so it feels like a regular shaped pencil. At least for my hand size. Maybe the concave section would bug...
  7. tdotrob

Good save or too weird?

I fell in love with end-grain while making some cutting boards a while back. I have made several pens with end-grain blanks. The wood has a tendency to blow out so I've learned to use freshly sharpened tools and take light cuts. I also stabilize some of the more challenging pieces with a CA glue...
  8. tdotrob

Eye protection

Not only that but there are different ones for different apps. Firefox has its own, as does Google Docs. I expect there are lots of other examples. I may have to write a script that keeps them all in sync.
  9. tdotrob

Eye protection

I'm still learning my turning tools so tonight I searched for videos on "how to use a bedan". Thanks to spell check, the results I got back were videos on the topic of "how to use a bedpan". :eek: Noooooo! Damn you autocorrect! Some things you can't unsee. So now I'm offering this advice in the...
  10. tdotrob

1st Bandsaw box - blade advice

Thanks, guys! The completion of the box was delayed due to an unexpected vacation...in the hospital of all places. It's all good now though so I'll see about completing this soon. I really like the felt idea to help center the drawers in the holes and I plan to flock them on the insides.
  11. tdotrob

Finally making progress! When I missed Mother's Day I punted on the gift and since she didn't know about this yet it worked out. Definitely a learning experience. My bandsaw work was pretty sloppy and resulted in a much larger gap than I hoped for after sanding smooth. At least the gap outlines...
  12. tdotrob

Please do! I look forward to seeing it.
  13. tdotrob

Is this normal?

Woodcraft. They have monthly specials of 40% ~ 60% off and Olive wood was on sale a while back. I have been known to stock up on wood when it's that heavily discounted. ;-) Exactly my thoughts, and why I thought it was so weird to get a piece like this from Woodcraft. I haven't decided what...
  14. tdotrob

Is this normal?

I picked up a piece of olive wood turning stock on spec a while back. Today I was looking through my wood stockpile and happened to notice a weird pattern on this piece. On closer inspection I realized it has a rather large void that has been filled with pieces of solid wood and resin or wood...
  15. tdotrob

My OCD has Gotten to a Whole New Plane

The problem isn't having so many planes. It's the 4-hour layover every time you have to switch planes.
  16. tdotrob

Dust collection beyond shop vac

In my case, used an HDPE panel to fill in where the window used to be. This setup is for my laser cutter so uses a 4" hose but could easily have been any size round hole or moderately complex shape. I rough-cut the hole, then used a pattern bit in a router to trim it to circular. Naturally since...
  17. tdotrob

Got my second shot Friday and it's kicking my butt. Good thing I worked on the box last week because this weekend I have been too impaired to use power tools. Down to 9 fingers already. Figure that's far enough. Feel like it's getting better though so if I make progress during the week I just...
  18. tdotrob

Cut away the top of the block, separated the wings, and cut the backs off. First one was a bit rough but on the second one i slowed down even more and managed to get a much smoother cut. The backs were cut against the fence and I was very pleased with how few tool marks I made. I'll use the...
  19. tdotrob

In fairness, I did mention making a practice block. But I do plan to use walnut or maple for practice because I figured softer woods would allow a tighter radius and I need to know how much to ease the tips of the butterfly wings. If possible I want it to look more like a real butterfly than a...
  20. tdotrob

It's all good, @Keye. I didn't run out and buy a blade nor cut up my block yet. Although now if I muck it up I have someone to blame which is always reassuring.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS