Search results

1. J

Recommendations for decent screws

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was in Klingspor today so bought a box of theirs. If they aren't more adequate, I will order from McFeeleys. Will give a review later!
  2. J

Recommendations for decent screws

Hi, I am hoping that someone can point me towards decent woodworking screws. I wanted to screw some steel straps on the back of a LARGE (maybe 100" long by 9' tall) display case to hold the upper glass cabinets to the bottom case, just in case I ever have grandchildren. Anyway, I bought some 1...
  3. J

Shop environment, rant

I feel your pain Scott. The 70 pt. dehumidifiers seem to last a little longer than their 1 year warranty. At > $300 a pop, it annoys me that they are considered disposable. At least I haven't been able to find anyone that repairs them. If anyone knows of someone, please let me know. I should...
  4. J

Covid - Vaccines - Workshops

None of the vaccines are 100% effective. Just because one is fully vaccinated does not mean that they are not infected, even if asymptomatic. From the CDC website: "We are still learning how well vaccines prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, even if you do not...
  5. J

Plane Sole Flatening

I would say that is good enough, especially if it is working for you. I wouldn't want my smoother to be that out of flat near the mouth, but yours looks good in that vicinity. FWIW, Lie-Nielsen promises flat within 0.0015, regardless of length. That is impressive on a #8, at least in woodworking...
  6. J

Plane Sole Flatening

I would not spare the Sharpie and put some lines across the entire sole. Right now, it looks like it isn't flat all the way around the edges - but is that only around the very edge?
  7. J

The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

I'm in Graham now. Joined HOW when I was in Chatham county. Hillsborough is an easy jaunt. I like the idea of helping each other out when needed.
  8. J

Help - my finish won't dry - UPDATE

Bob, Glad that you are on your way again. Beautiful veneer!
  9. J

Happy Birthday Danmart77

Happy birthday Dan!
  10. J

Plane plain facts?

Didn't realize that. thanks for the heads up. I must admit to not looking at Stanley planes post 1930s . I have deleted the previous post.
  11. J

Plane plain facts?

Scott, sounds like WR was the choice. Let us know what you think.
  12. J

Plane plain facts?

Scott, I was actually referring to using a router plane to trim the tenon cheeks. You reference the sole of the plane off the face of the board. This ensures that the face and tenon cheek are co-planar. Something that just going at the cheek with a tenon plane doesn't do. Of course, does it...
  13. J

Plane plain facts?

Not saying that Wood River tools are not a good value (I don't own any so I don't have first hand knowledge), but remember that Rob is not an impartial reviewer. As you point out, he helped design them, sells them on his site, and likely still has a relationship with the company. I would guess...
  14. J

Plane plain facts?

Again, my opinion is based on my hand size and experience/lack thereof, the most functional medium size shoulder plane that I have used is the Veritas. Trying to decide how to hold a shoulder plane, at least to trim tenon shoulders, is not obvious. the Veritas model's knob is very "handy". For...
  15. J

Plane plain facts?

I do thick thicker blades for L-N planes will be available. They are a simple blade, with no recesses for a Norris style adjuster, for example.
  16. J

Plane plain facts?

Casey, I assume that you are talking bevel up planes. 30 + 12 = 42 degrees, which is different than a 55 degree frog. You can change the bevel angle to 43 and you are at 55 degrees. Of course, then you don't have a chip breaker on those blades. Not trying to start yet another "best way to avoid...
  17. J

Plane plain facts?

A higher angle of attack can help with reducing tearout in tricky grain. Over the last several years there has been a discussion of the best way to work difficult grain. Higher angle (from a steeper frog or low angle plane with steep blade angle) or chip breaker very close to cutting edge. Of...
  18. J

Plane plain facts?

If money was no object!
  19. J

Plane plain facts?

Scott, the wood river has a bedrock style frog at $200. I personally find the standard Veritas tote to be less comfortable than the LN versions. If I was going to spend $200 on the Wood River, I wood spend a little more on the Veritas. I don't think that you would be disappointed in with the...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS