Search results

1. Willemjm

Cherry top

Customer wanted a 8/4 Cherry top with character, mix of sap and hardwood to go on top of his laundry room cabinets. Before finish, picture below. Three coats conversion varnish tomorrow.
  2. Willemjm

Here’s the difference...

And when you lose attention using your bowl gouge.
  3. Willemjm

Shiplap in the shop

That looks really great. Is that refrigerator full of beer?
  4. Willemjm

Lumber prices

If it is the usual domestic hardwoods, the total order has to be $1,000 or more. If it is something which they don’t normally stock, it depends on the mill they source from.
  5. Willemjm

Exposing Ply to the Elements

^^^^^^ https://www.clp-inc.com/what-is-mdo-plywood/
  6. Willemjm

Exposing Ply to the Elements

Why not use the right materials for the job? I made a half a dozen birdhouses from pre-finished domestic furniture grade plywood off-cuts, rather than put it in the dumpster. They lasted exactly a year, before delaminating and falling apart. We had some Bluebird fatalities in the process...
  7. Willemjm

Lumber prices

For anyone interested, I have a pretty good relationship with my wholesaler and while they carry the normal run of hardwood lumber, they can get just about anything domestic, provided I give them enough time to source. The challenge remains quantities as they do not cater for small bf purchases...
  8. Willemjm

Lumber prices

At least the construction industry has not influenced hard wood lumber prices yet. I don’t purchase retail ever, but always wonder how much margin they make. 8/4 Select cherry delivered this morning for a customer job, $3.80 a bf. Perhaps we should do a lumber run one day, wholesale prices...
  9. Willemjm

Update to SW Emerald Urethane problem

I used this product on a customer's bathroom cabinets for a new installation, as the supplier could not give us the color the customer needed. The reason I used it, is the local Sherwin Williams branches have been told they may no longer blend dark colors in the T77 Pre-Cat lacquer product and...
  10. Willemjm

Steel building

In central NC without climate control in a closed environment we are looking at around 11% MC compared to 8% under climate control. It’s really not an issue about 3/8” shrinkage over 4’ width. 95% Of the cabinets done in industry today go into homes under construction still waiting for floors...
  11. Willemjm

Steel building

Thx. PM sent.
  12. Willemjm

Steel building

Only for storage.
  13. Willemjm

Steel building

Thanks for the complements. I followed the advice from my good friends here and money cannot buy the great quality of life in Pinehurst compared to that in upstate New York.
  14. Willemjm

Steel building

My 30 x 45 shop stick built with AC, 240V and 3ph just ran out of space. Looking at adding a 24 X 30 steel building in close proximity with the main purpose being storage of lumber and inventory. If I do the concrete pad myself, leveling, compacting and boxing, I will use a sub to pour the...
  15. Willemjm

NC Sales Tax Exemptions

Unless he uses E598CI which gives him exemption for remodeling or new home construction sales tax.
  16. Willemjm

Construction lumber prices

Where is this going to end? Last timeI purchased a sheet of OSB I paid between $8-$12 a sheet. The next shipment into Lowe’s will be $40 a sheet!
  17. Willemjm

NC Sales Tax Exemptions

Because if the contractor gets a tax audit from the state and there is no form, it gets problematic and you may get audited as well. We ask our GC’s to give us a form for each job as a condition of the purchase contract. Alternatively, if that will be your approach, the contractor can invoice...
  18. Willemjm

NC Sales Tax Exemptions

E598CI https://files.nc.gov/ncdor/documents/files/e589ci_webfill.pdf Absolutely, we price that in and then ad a margin onto that as well.
  19. Willemjm

Mistakes in the wood shop

I grew up with the metric system, no inches over there. In Engineering it sure makes things simple compared to doing calculations in imperial. In the PE exam here in NC I encountered both systems, sometimes even in the same question. That makes it even more of a hassle. Favorite question is at...
  20. Willemjm

NC Sales Tax Exemptions

We do this every day. We have to pay sales tax on the goods we purchase for new construction or re-modelling. The GC or home owner does not have to pay any sales tax on what we invoice. The GC or home owner has to fill out a form, which we keep on file in case of a tax audit. So here is an...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS