Search results

1. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

I believe he was talking about #1
  2. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Making progress. Got a seal coat and 1 coat of Gel Stain on. I think I will put on a 2nd coat of stain...at lease on a couple of boards to see if there is a noticeable difference. . . , I had a scrap piece of corner trim and some shelving supports that worked pretty good to keep the...
  3. ralitaco

For Sale Listings - Check out the Facebook page

Interesting...seems like there is a group and a non-profit page out there. The page I go to and see posts: Facebook Groups Last post February 27, 2021 at 1019am. The page under the Social Media dropdown: northcarolinawoodworker Last post June 9, 2020.
  4. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts. Since I don't have tons of options for purchasing locally and since I am a bit impatient, I decided to go with the shellac (that I cut down to 1#) and then the gel stain. I had already purchased both of the products and had started testing with them...
  5. ralitaco

Sounds good. Like I said, it just looked odd and every reply to a question was "PM me"
  6. ralitaco

Some days all I see from the NCWW FB page is ads to buy or sell tools, lumber, etc. The one that I found "odd" was the first time post for someone selling thousands of live edge slabs, etc.
  7. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

Thanks Jim and Chris. Where do you guys get your finishes: dyes, stains, etc.? All I know about are the big box stores and Ace
  8. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

Willem, Thanks for taking the time to reply. No offense taken here because I don't know enough to know if I should be offended - LOL. As I said in an earlier reply, I like the idea of the fast drying time. Working under a tent, on a dirt floor with no climate control is a challenge, especially...
  9. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

Thank you Ed for the book suggestion. I need to look into getting a copy... So creasman, where did you find yours for $5? Pop, thank you too for your suggestion. This will also go on my shopping list. I saw a video where they spoke about the Trans Tint. The host was saying he used it for...
  10. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

Thanks Chris. I had heard of dyes in passing when watching videos of finishing. I have not done any research yet, other than watch a video or two. The dyes don't look much different from the stain and by that I mean is they seem to go on the same. Unlike the gel, which is a much different...
  11. ralitaco

Learning about Finishes

So I have never applied any finishes other than paint and have been trying to learn about stains and such for my shelving. I read several blog posts, including the one here: "Wood Finishes Explained" along with watching lots of videos. I read about using 1# cut shellac as a base coat on pine to...
  12. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

So I am still working on my shelves...been a challenge between work and weather. Anyway, I had several short pieces (6" to 18") to sand with my belt sander but did not want to clamp them directly to the table, so I came up with what I thought was a pretty good fix...
  13. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Thanks Canuck, I may have to order one.
  14. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Just sharing a bit of progress on the shelves. It is slow going with work and life and not having a dedicated shop where I can leave my tools out. But I am making progress. I have sanded down the 2x4's. Some of them were REALLY bad and I knocked them down with 40 grit. The majority I hit with...
  15. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Not sure if I am going to apply a finish to these shelves, but thought it might be a good project to learn on. The only "finish" I have ever used has been paint...latex paint or spray paint. I want to expand my horizons and am thinking about applying an actual finish. I read "Wood Finishes...
  16. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Thank you Henry, Bas and Jack. I had never made a template, nor used one, but to me, part of woodworking is experimenting (usually on scrap) and stretching my abilities. I realize many out here are much more advanced then I am, but I am glad they remember when they first started out. I really...
  17. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Thanks Casey. Do I get an official t-shirt or something now?
  18. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

I finally made time to work on my shelves. I decided to go with my 2x4's and mortise-like notches. I tried to use some router bushings but the base did not fit my router, so I made my own jig/template for the existing router base. The router bit arc was bigger that the arc on the corner of the...
  19. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

I honestly never thought about them. Dominos seem to be all the rage now. It looks like they have enough "body" to provide the support needed. That may be a heck of a lot easier than trying to cut mortise-like notches. Great suggestion on the sanding. I think I can handle that, although shou...
  20. ralitaco

2x4 Office Shelving

Berta, thank you for the suggestion. I found the bookshelf and I really like it. I never thought of just using pocket holes on the plywood without any support under them. I may need to try that on this or a future project

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS