Search results

1. pop-pop

End vise finishing touches

A couple of thoughts: 1. Shorten the block height by the rounding radius. 2. Convert the rounding to a small chamfer and make a matching chamfer on the block.
  2. pop-pop

End vise finishing touches

For the dog, I’d suggest a tough hardwood like ash. Cut a dado for clearance in your chop and then make a housing for the dog to support it against the clamping force. The housing could be a block of hardwood with a dado to fit around the dog and a couple of screws to fasten it to the chop...
  3. pop-pop

Name That Item and what they are used for.

They could be repurposed as corn on the cob holders.
  4. pop-pop

Sanding frame for DeWalt 430/431 belt sander - free

This sanding frame is a useful accessory for this belt particular sander when sanding panels. I don’t think the frame would fit any other than this exact model. The dead sander is included for parts. Replacement parts for this sander are extremely hard to find.
  5. pop-pop

Vise workshop second prototype

Another inexpensive vise screw is a repurposed scaffold leveling jack. Widely available at widely varying prices.
  6. pop-pop

The screw and nuts are from a 14” dumbbell handle. With COVID, these are sometimes hard to get. I ordered some from Walmart last week (limit 4) for $6.87 each and now they are out of stock again. They don’t last long in the stores either.
  7. pop-pop

Sketchup Question

Many printers have margins they won’t print into. Sometimes the margins can be set to 0. I’d recommend first doing what your doing into an 8 x 13-1/2 rectangle and see if that helps.
  8. pop-pop

Ruobo bench model joint

Ok. I’ll drop it off.
  9. pop-pop

Ruobo bench model joint

I was going to discard this then thought it might help someone. Before I made my Ruobo bench (from the first Schwarz workbench book) I made this full-size practice joint of a leg & rails plus the leg-top mortise and the sliding deadman bevel. It was handy to refer to and might help some else...
  10. pop-pop

Shooting board plane

Seems like one would flatten the sole first and reference off that surface on the milling machine.
  11. pop-pop

Top hat separator usage comment

Tinkered with my top hat separator drop slot today. I tried a ramp at the trailing end of the drop slot and picked up this pile of hand-plane shavings. This amount of shavings got caught. The trailing end of my drop slot is under the inlet housing and now I wish I had spent the $ for...
  12. pop-pop

What'sit

Circle cutter for a brace sans beam & cutter?
  13. pop-pop

Thls discussion has prompted a “what if” experiment. Since the shavings are catching on 3/4” or so vertical surface, would a ramp at that point help? I chopped about a 45 degree ramp (probably angled the wrong way) where the shavings were catching. Here is what happened with a couple of...
  14. pop-pop

Mine is “sucked” by a Ridgid 14 gallon shop with a cartridge filter. Also, added a bag in the vacuum to protect the cartridge when the top hat bucket fills. Note that I wrote “when” not “if”, it will happen. IMO, the vacuum having a 2-1/2“ hose is more important than either the gallonage or...
  15. pop-pop

This thread on my top hat separator from nearly three years ago is closed for comments. https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/top-hat-dust-separator.64395/#post-596706 It has worked quite nicely except it does not play well with handplane shavings (not even gossamer ones:)).
  16. pop-pop

Sliding leg vise with X cross

That was my thinking exactly. Total is now $.04.
  17. pop-pop

Sliding leg vise with X cross

A design deficiency popped up today in my sliding leg vise installation. I had used the existing deadman groove in the bottom of the benchtop for the sliding leg vise leg tenon. Today, I was holding a piece of 8/4 on the flat so it was in between the chop and the benchtop. The screw’s nut...
  18. pop-pop

Looks like four lobes has a slight edge since the deeper cutout gives one just a bit more purchase for the final snugging. The advantage is slight but quite tangible. Also note the nice long grain edge surface on the handwheel on the left. I glued it up as an end-grain butcher block.
  19. pop-pop

Handles are too short

As an octogenarian, I’m finding more and more handle levers are now too short to tighten securely. Today‘s extension was to a cross-slide vise. I have added these ad-hoc and probably should make a matching set someday.
  20. pop-pop

Results of dust collection mods to Ridgid contractor saw

Clever idea to box the motor rather than trying to seal the cabinet opening for the motor & belt.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS