Search results

1. Jerome B

A Great source of Walnut in Chapel Hill

I was just over at Keith Yow's saw mill yesterday. He just retired from teaching furniture making at Cedar Grove HS. He has a great selection of walnut, ponderosa pine, and I believe some birch. The walnut ranges from 5/4-16/4 and he has a good amount of wide stuff. His prices are good. Go...
  2. Jerome B

Electrical options of r setting up a new shop

I am moving my shop into a new space, the garage at my new house. I am looking at options of what to do about electricity, and I am trying to think long term. The garage is detached from the house. I am wondering which is the better option. 1.Run a line from the house fuse panel (200 amp) or...
  3. Jerome B

best source for wide SYP boards?

I am about to make some Thomas Jefferson book boxes. I need some SYP that is atleast 13" wide prefereably 5/4 thick, but 4/4 will do. Where can I find material like? While I am at it I need some wide Walnut boards also. I am in Graham.
  4. Jerome B

Free Fine Woodworking library

I letting go of my Fine Woodworking Library It runs from 1977-2008. I am giving it away. Anyone interested in it? I am moving and I am not sure if I want to take it along with me. I am outside of Chapel Hill, NC -Edit: Magazines have been taken Jerome
  5. Jerome B

table legs in need of a home

I have two or three complete Duncan phyfe dining room table, table legs that I inherited. I have had them in the attic for way too long. They need a new home. I don't want to send them to the trash so if someone is interested they are yours. Jerome Mebane, NC
  6. Jerome B

WTB Butternut lumber

I am working on a project that calls for butternut aka "white walnut." I am looking for 5/4 (final dim 7/8") and 6/4 thickness. Does anyone have a a suggestion of where I could get some. Thanks, Jerome Bias
  7. Jerome B

Free dining room table - needs love

I have a dining room table that I am ready to let go of. I am not quite sure how to get rid of it so I thought that I would post it here and see if anyone is interested in taking it on as a project. This is am image of half of it. the other half is still in the attic. The veneer...
  8. Jerome B

Even the blotchy stuff: Staining and finishing wood without fear- workshop

I am working with the local chapter of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers to put together a workshop on color theory and finishing. I would be most grateful if you could pass this information about the workshop along to your members. The workshop is titled...
  9. Jerome B

looking for beveled siding

I was wondering if any of the saw mills in the area could make beveled siding? A friend of mine is in need of some. Thanks, Jerome
  10. Jerome B

what to do with Holly

A friend of mine is cutting down some Holy trees and asked I as interested in them. I know that 2 of them are dead already, but there are at least 2 more that are alive. The trunks are about 12" in diameter. Does it make sense to go after these things and if I do is there an ideal way to saw...
  11. Jerome B

sweating it out at the woodwright school

Day 4 of the woodlands course at the woodwright school Horrible isn't it. Jerome
  12. Jerome B

project almost finished thanks for the help

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the two part wood bleach. I could not have done this without your help. This is a recreation of a Thomas Day washstand. Like the original it is made of poplar and walnut. I have never mixed two woods before. I was really worried that I couldn't get...
  13. Jerome B

aren't there laws of physics

I just got my new Snow and Nealy axe and I had to try it. I thought that I had beat this tree into submission, but down it will not fall. There isn't much left shouldn't it have fallen by now. Jerome
  14. Jerome B

wood bleach

So what is up with wood bleach. I can't find it anywhere. I have a walnut washstand that I am having a few color issues. It has some really dark spots from pitting in the wood - gnarliness from a burl. I thought that I would bleach the top and the rest of the piece and then color it to...
  15. Jerome B

Thomas Day Images

I thought that I would post a few images that I took last week. They are of a shoot of a Woodwright Shop episode on Thomas Day. It is to air in December. Roy is a real hoot We had a great time. The house shown is up in Caswell County. it also has a a cool duplex slave cabin. Jerome
  16. Jerome B

Thomas Day Exhibit

I am looking for some objective opinions. I worked on a few parts of it and think that my perspective is a little to detail oriented. Has anyone gone to see the new Thomas Day exhibit? And if so what did you think? Thanks, Jerome
  17. Jerome B

value of deconstructed house

I got a call this afternoon from my cousin asking about the value of abandoned houses for reclaimed lumber. It turns out a friend of his has inherited a house somewhere here in NC and recently got a call from someone asking to buy and dismantle the house for the lumber. my cousin was wondering...
  18. Jerome B

labor pains are ending Birthing a bench

The portable bench is almost done. Finally. (whew) It has taken longer than I expected, guess it goes way when you are making it up as you go along. I have gotten to use it a couple of times. I love the new vise. It seems to be extremely rigid stout and a bit lighter than my earlier bench...
  19. Jerome B

overcoating oil/varnish finish

I verntured out of my shellac comfort zone and tried some Watco danish oil finish and now I am wondering what I can top coast it with. Wait let me back up. I am doing a table top, walnut which had some sapwood streaks in it. I Wanted to experiment with staining out the streaks, so I used some...
  20. Jerome B

I quit!!!!!!: Bed in need of a good home

I don't know if I am posting this in the right category if not I hope that one of the handy dandy admin people will put it where it needs to be. A few years ago I inherited a bed that I liked, it has a lot of emotional baggage associated with it. I thought that I could repair it and porch for...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS