Search results

1. S

Results of dust collection mods to Ridgid contractor saw

I may be wrong here but the calculator is asking for "R" which to me indicates a radius. Four inches is the diameter, right?
  2. S

Forest Woodworker ll

So sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you heal up quickly.
  3. S

No-name eBay chisel restore

Primary was ground 20 degrees, which was more or less how it arrived. I started with a secondary bevel of 25 degrees, then tried 30 when I saw the edge was failing so easily on the right. I kept re-sharpening the 30 degree secondary thinking maybe my sharpening was to blame, didn't help much...
  4. S

Thanks, that might explain some things. I managed to find a Woodwright's Shop video showing a chisel being hand forged and watched that too. I can't see any visual indication that there are layers or a weld on this -- I have no idea if you would be able to -- but the only thing that makes sense...
  5. S

I tried it with a fresh saw file. It does give more feedback but I really can't feel a point on the bad side where it gets harder, it just stays the same and gets softer near the handle. At this point it is just so cosmetically poor from file marks and the edge would require so much grinding to...
  6. S

@Oka I will keep that advice in mind for the future, unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder right now. It seems like maybe it does get a bit harder back from the edge on the right, and then gets softer again towards the handle. But it might be still like a good quarter inch of metal back...
  7. S

Unfortunately it looks like you are right @Oka. I ended up taking a file to the edge and the side that kept failing is way too soft, and it doesn't seem to be shallow. The file skates off the left half of the edge but towards the right I can file it very easily. I am doubtful that I could have...
  8. S

@Chris C Thanks! The cracks are very subtle, I might take a picture of them up close. I do wonder how they got there. I'm hoping I can figure out why part of the edge has poor edge retention. The rest of the edge seems great. I am thinking about grinding it back another bit and just hoping it's...
  9. S

I got a fairly inexpensive socket chisel on eBay to see if I could restore it to working order. It is 1.5" wide. No maker's mark, pretty big grinder gouges on the top (ownership marks?) and some cracks in the steel visible on the back near where the socket starts. The back was not especially...
  10. S

Heat sterilizing lumber?

I like the price, but would that prevent me from using any of this lumber for cutting boards or other kitchen/food contact projects because of insecticide exposure? That is why I was initially drawn to heat sterilization.
  11. S

Heat sterilizing lumber?

My mother had a few walnut trees cut down a couple years ago and we have a bunch of walnut boards and some flitches that have been air drying outside in her back yard since. It's definitely time to take them inside. I don't really have space for them indoors here in Raleigh but my brother in...
  12. S

Reboring Dogholes - Thoughts ?

Regarding bench dogs falling out, mine have bullet catches installed in them so the dog itself is always undersized and the spring in the bullet catch stops them from dropping out the bottom. Seasonal movement is definitely enough to change them from snug to loose fit. Edit: You could also...
  13. S

Grinder wheel - toss it? + recommendations

@mdbuntyn Thanks, I am excited to see. I think I said the stock wheel was 80 above, but you're right, it is actually 60 now that I look. I'm hoping I didn't choose too aggressive of a grit for the CBN but I guess I will find out. The results I got off the 60 grit stock wheel (before I noticed...
  14. S

Thanks for the input everyone. I was originally planning on just getting a Norton wheel, but I ended up ordering a single 80 grit Spartan CBN wheel. Probably overkill, but now that I know it's OK to run a grinder with just one wheel, the price point is worth it to me to never have to worry about...
  15. S

@SabertoothBunny Actually one more question, which are the balancing washers on that site? I see they have "machined aluminum" ones and "self-aligning spherical washers." I am assuming it's the self-aligning spherical? EDIT: Never mind, I spoke to Ken on the phone, I got it sorted out. The...
  16. S

Just to learn how to do it I played around with swapping around the wheels and flanges, rotating them, etc and got the wobble down significantly (just turning the wheel by hand not under power.) So it was not the arbor hole condition alone that caused the wobble. But I am going to toss the wheel...
  17. S

I hear good things about CBN but they look like a bit of an investment. I am not sure I am going to be grinding frequently enough to justify the cost right now. Maybe something to look into down the road. @Phil S Thank you, that is a very generous offer. I am going to make a couple calls and...
  18. S

I got a new bench grinder today (have not owned one before) and put it together. The grinder was shipped with the wheels attached but I took them off and did a ring test on both wheels on 8 points and they sounded OK based on what I understand they should sound like. When I spun it up I noticed...
  19. S

Leg vise screw hole / parallel guide clearances

Just wanted to write in that I got the first test assembly of the leg vise done and it works well with no binding. I can clamp my mallet in it (with shelf liner to simulate the eventual leather or cork/rubber) and can't rotate the mallet by the handle. It was definitely a lot more work to do the...
  20. S

Leg vise screw hole / parallel guide clearances

I spent some time making a prototype leg vise out of some 2x4 legs I had discarded from an earlier project. (Basically 2 legs w/ short stretchers and another 2x4 for a jaw.) I think I've been overthinking this because I did a traditional design (no bearing, fixed pin board/chop joint) as quick...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS