Search results

1. D

Want to Borrow a 1" roundover bit

I forget how awesome this community is. I was actually looking for a 1” radius bit which are above 100$ from the ones I’ve seen. But the 1-1/2 (3/4”R?) may be large enough if I can’t find a 1”R. As for buying new tools, I am totally with you. I have spent more at Klingspors than I would like...
  2. D

Trestle Style Round Table - changing to 2018 skp file

I only have access to sketchup free, but im uploading an older version in case some have older sketchup software
  3. D

Want to Borrow a 1" roundover bit

Does anyone around Raleigh have a 1" roundover bit I could borrow for an afternoon. I am looking to cut an edge profile on a table base but don't see enough future use to spend money on it. They seem to get pretty expensive at these sizes. MLCS has one for 30$ but shipping is 2 weeks and the...
  4. D

Trestle Style Round Table 2018.0

48" round table with trestle style X base Half lap joints on the top and bottom crossbars. Base crossbar profile to be determined.
  5. D

How many dowels do I use?

Dennis, adding dowels at the end would probably be easier, but i think i wanted hidden joints just for the aesthetic on this one. Luke, That is one of the videos i watched before i bought the fancy dowel jig. Dowels seemed to be reasonably strong from the videos I have seen and it seems like a...
  6. D

Okay, so it seems like I should make sure my joints are tight, drill a few dowels (maybe 5 to be safe) and stop overthinking things. Thanks for everyone's help.
  7. D

Is there that much of an advantage of floating tenon over dowel? It doesn't seem that much different to me to have a single larger floating tenon vs multiple dowels. From what I have seen on the web, the failure rate is pretty close and both far surpass general usage, especially in this case...
  8. D

Yeah, but unfortunately I blew all of my new tool money on a jointer and planer earlier this year. If you were going to use dominos, how many would you use?
  9. D

I was under the assumption that a biscuit was only to aid in alignment and gave no added strength, but a hardwood dowel worked similar to a floating mortise and tenon and could add strength to a butt joint. Maybe this was incorrect but I saw it as similar to a festool domino if I used multiple...
  10. D

I am partially through my first major build using rough(ish) lumber and milling it all myself. My major goal is to build the entire table with no screws and so far it has gone pretty well but I have started second guessing myself now that i have to actually make the joint. Just curious to hear...
  11. D

Beginner Handtool (Dovetail?) setup

Hey Jeff, I'm not sure I understand the question. I've just watched a bunch of Jonathan Katz Moses, Paul Sellars and other various youtube channels on it. Not really expecting perfection but i have to start somewhere. I'll just try some on random wood before i start a real project.
  12. D

Thanks for everyones advice. I think tvrgeek is right. I was overthinking things a bit (woodcraft had a 15% off sale and i wanted new tools...). I think ill grab a decent budget pullsaw and some irwin chisels to see if I even like handtool working. Its a minimum investment for now. I can use an...
  13. D

Mark, That is good advice. I have come across some of Paul Sellers articles but I need to look into some of his series more. I hope to get back to power tools at some point but for now, quiet woodworking should be a fun learning experience. Steve, I am a big fan of JKM. I have watched most of...
  14. D

For layout, I have a 12" combo square and a T-bevel. I think i can get away with that for now. Dividers and dovetail gauges seem pretty handy but everything added up pretty quick so i was trying to trim the things I can work around. On that same line, i would like to enjoy this, so would you...
  15. D

I am a woodworking novice and completely new to handtools. Outside of the woodworking classes at the crafts center at NCSU (I highly recommend these for anyone who is new to woodworking/power tool safety), I have never cut a dovetail nor do I own any tools practical for this task. I have started...
  16. D

Grizzly 6" Jointer w/Mobile Base - $250 (Carolina Shores)

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the tips. My wife decided since we were that close to the coast we should stay a night at the beach and show our 4 month old the ocean. Even with the million pounds of stuff it takes to keep a baby alive and happy that inevitably fell on top of the...
  17. D

CL - Jet 8” jointer - $1000

Not mine, not endorsing... https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/raleigh-jet-8-jointer/7132590723.html
  18. D

Okay. I think I have a 2x4 I can chop in half and strap to it. I like that idea. Out of curiosity, I know the whole thing weighs about 240 pounds. Any clue what portion of that is the top? It would be me and my lovely 4 month postpartum wife. Hopefully we can properly maneuver it.
  19. D

Claimed. Thanks for the heads up! Now does anyone know the best way to fit a 6" jointer into a full size SUV? Do i need to disassemble the base from the table and is that complicated? I checked the manual and it seems like you can unscrew the front panel, pull the belt and its just 3 bolts...
  20. D

Should i try to fix a miter saw or buy new?

Interesting. I never thought about a 12 inch blade flexing but it makes sense. I was just thinking 12 inch because the wife wants some new trim in the house. I can easily make it work with a 10 inch compound and some math. I think the current plan is to try to get it straightened with clamps...

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS