Search results

1. Hmerkle

Plane blade test

"One of the few things that have changed since we were in school is alloy formulas and manufacturing process." I have to disagree with that, BUT I don't know when you were in school versus when I was... PM (powdered Metal) tooling was quite new when I came out of school (college) Crucible was...
  2. Hmerkle

Standing shave horse

O.K. so you can work on the bowl of a spoon, but how do you work on the handle? (Thinking long-motion spokeshave work)
  3. Hmerkle

The Tree Quilted Mahogany

@PatriotWoodWorks Is this you: Patriot Woodworks If you are not in the business of selling wood you might contact Coleman (Klingspor) @woodworkingshop.com or Rocky @ west Penn Hardwoods: wphardwoods.com/ Obviously, you wouldn't likely get as much as selling it to a "user" but the sale would...
  4. Hmerkle

How good is the dust collection on a track saw?

Thank you - I find it funny that I put "Cen-Tec anti-static hose" and Amazon WAS NOT the first thing that popped up! (Out of the ordinary!!!) But now I am REALLY curious what this is from Lowe's (popped up in the Google search)...
  5. Hmerkle

How good is the dust collection on a track saw?

Martin, can you show a link to the Cen-Tec anti-static hose? I googled it, but keep coming up with weird links or "you can order it at Walmart or Lowe's"
  6. Hmerkle

Forest Woodworker ll

Mike, I hope you get well soon! I was going to make some crack about a hand-tool woodworker using a tool with a cord, but this is not the time or place for that! My take-away is EXACTLY what Steven said - you have SO much experience and knowledge and you got hurt! Safety Lesson #1 : slow...
  7. Hmerkle

LED strip lights for bowl turning.

That is a REALLY good tip - I like the idea of Cindy's version- but putting the longer strip on magnets so you could remove it too would be even better!
  8. Hmerkle

Results of dust collection mods to Ridgid contractor saw

I thought so too! I have an old craftsman / atlas contractor saw and it could be on legs for all the open spaces in the "cabinet"!
  9. Hmerkle

Plane blade test

I agree - but ALL of my Stanly blades have been performing and my "set" is all 1902 patent, I understand there is some collector value, especially if they are in a set, so I don't want to open the mouth when things seem to be working... BUT, I was thinking of buying the $6 blades even though I...
  10. Hmerkle

Milky spots in finish after applying finishing wax

GEEZ! smart AND fast... unbeliveable!
  11. Hmerkle

Plane blade test

I do NOT see any chance of “analysis paralysis” the results are VERY clear. and as tvrgeek pointed out - you can clearly see "Good, Better, Best" and the comparative costs. I am not surprised at the result "[...from mediocre tools a] "step up can be had for a reasonable cost, and marginal...
  12. Hmerkle

Ohia Wood

HEE, Hee, you said Oy vey! Is that a "Banggood" miter gauge?
  13. Hmerkle

Knurled apple tree

I am sure glad you clarified it was the trees! Sheesh! Two Jeffs??? UGH!
  14. Hmerkle

Woodworkers clamps - $175 (Whittier) SOLD

I made a deal with this guy to buy them and he agreed to it at 1:58 yesterday We were to meet tomorrow, I just texted him to confirm and he texted me back "The clamps were just paid for and picked up FYI" I even offered to send him money via Paypal - "Can I pay you now to hold them?"(my text)...
  15. Hmerkle

DIY Solar Install?

Yea like proof that non-ferrous material rusts in Hawaii! LOL
  16. Hmerkle

How to start a conversation?

You want to PM (start conversation) with an individual? If you are on a PC, hover over their picture and this box will pop up: Then you can slick on "start conversation"
  17. Hmerkle

Bowl and spindle turning suspended

Just had to work a little harder to see it - but that is REALLY nice! (and you learned something! ha ha)
  18. Hmerkle

Plane blade test

That would work, but a non-destructive test would be best and my thinking is if you could incorporate that into the test data he put together, you might so some slightly different trends... at least it would make for some more discussion... Here is an article (only skimmed, not fully read yet)...
  19. Hmerkle

Plane blade test

Right - I am thinking of a test (like a hardness test or ???) that would test for abrasion resistance.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS